Trying to Get Pregnant

PCOS questions

Hi ladies-  So I know I could have put this in the WTO board, but I wanted to reach a few more people who may have experiences or be dealing with this or have more knowledge on it.

1) is PCOS something you can develop over age/time kind of thing or are you born with it and just don't have any real issues with it until you start TTC and that is how you discover you have it?

2) How is the testing done for it?  I'm wondering if I may have it?  I don't know how common it is, but I don't want to rule anything out and with an appt scheduled for additional testing with RE coming up I don't want to miss out on anything here.  Especially since my deductible is met already this year before we see Jan 1.

Thanks in advance!!

Re: PCOS questions

• What symptoms are you having that you are leaning towards PCOS?
    Also, are you overweight?  What does your daily diet consist of?

• *****lurker + signature TW*****

I'm not a PCOS expert, but I can tell you about my experience. The diagnosis is obtain when you have a certain amount of signs. For exemple I have one ovary (the right one) that is polycystic but doctor said I didn't had PCOS because my hormones level were normal, and I was ovulating monthly.
    People often think it's a GYN disease but it's a metabolic/endo disease because it affects more than just the ovaries.
    Your doctor can measure your androgen hormones level, your blood sugar level, LH/FSH ratio, there's also some signs like the growth of hairs on "unusual area" like chin, hands, back, belly etc.

You lose nothing to ask!
    Hope this help
    :)
  • Loading the player...
  • SarafussSarafuss member
    edited December 2015
    1.  I'm not sure what the answer is to this.  But it's something I've always had (I assume).  I've had very irregular periods since I started having them at age 12.  I was told at 15 that I likely had PCOS.  

2.  My RE did a transvaginal u/s and saw that I had typical polycystic ovaries and the "string of pearls".  They should also do b/w to check your prolactin, TSH, LH, and FSH.  And I know they also check your glucose/A1C to see if you might have insulin resistant PCOS.  They also evaluate symptoms like: weight gain mostly around your belly, excess hair (or hair loss), acne, and others I can't think of right now.  

ETA: Jolydan is correct.  It is an endocrine disorder so it affects more than your reproductive system.  And it effects everyone differently.  For example, I've never been overweight so a previous OB said he knew I didn't have it because I wasn't overweight (clearly he's a crappy doctor).  But I do have several other symptoms and I basically never ovulate without meds. And I've also had gestational diabetes with each pregnancy due to insulin resistant PCOS.  
    Married 9/19/09
    Me (32) Dx PCOS, DH (32) SA = Normal/mild morph issues
    TTC#5 July 2017 - 3rd cycle TTC = BFP on 11/12/17 at 9dpo Beta #1 = 96 at 13dpo - Beta #2 = 207 at 15dpo
    TTC#1  starting Nov. 2009
    3 rounds of Clomid + TI and 3 rounds of 7.5 mg Femara + IUI before our BFP on 11/8/10 at 12dpiui
    TTC #2 3rd cycle of Femara 7.5mg+Ovidrel+TI = 4 follies = BFP on 10/12/12 
    TTC#3 July 2014 - Metformin +TI = BFP at 9dpo - Twins, one baby lost at 5.5 weeks 
    Macy Annabelle born at 37w4d on 4/29/15.  Diagnosed with Cri du Chat and passed away on 6/6/15.  Forever in our hearts.
    TTC#4 3rd cycle of Metformin + Femara 7.5mg+Ovidrel+TI = 3 follies = BFP on 12/24/16
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @MNturnsVA I saw a RE this week for fertility issues and although I haven't had my DR call me yet and confirm PCOS it turns out my testosterone level is elevated. I didn't have any cysts on my ovaries but I gained weight very quickly the past few months and my cycles were getting longer and irregular. As far as your question on if you develope it over time, my RE said yes you can develope later in your 20s or have it in your teens as well. I was on BCPs for 11yrs so he said I've probably always had this but BCPs helped keep my hormone levels under control so I didn't notice it before. As far as testing he did an US and blood work. He checked my prolactin, TSH and testosterone levels. I've had my glucose checked recently so he didn't look at that but I think they look at that too. I wouldn't worry, the RE should ask you tons of questions to try to figure out what's going on. I think mine asked me about 30 questions or so at my first appt. Goodluck!
    Expecting baby #1 August 2016 
    Already have three furbabies- Blake, Sydney, and Chester 

• juliehollz13juliehollz13 member
    edited December 2015

1) is PCOS something you can develop over age/time kind of thing or are you born with it and just don't have any real issues with it until you start TTC and that is how you discover you have it? Yes and yes - some women develop it after childbirth or with age, and some are "born with it" (aka had it all the symptoms as long as they can remember). There are different types of PCOS, the kind with multiple cysts usually affects a woman as soon as she starts having her cycles. The kind with no cysts just manifests itself in irregular cycles which usually aren't an issue until you try to get pregnant, as most Dr's just put you on BCP to regulate them. 

2) How is the testing done for it?  I'm wondering if I may have it?  I don't know how common it is, but I don't want to rule anything out and with an appt scheduled for additional testing with RE coming up I don't want to miss out on anything here.  Especially since my deductible is met already this year before we see Jan 1. - There are TYPICALLY 4 different criteria for having PCOS, although more things are found out about it every year. 1) Ovarian cysts (confirmed by ultrasound) 2) hormone imbalance (blood test can confirm that) 3) Irregular cycles 4) Hairutism (sp) - where you have abnormal hair growth. I believe you have to have 2-3 out of the 4 to be diagnosed. 

Met DH - 9/2003
    Dating - 9/18/2012
    Married - 8/16/2014
    NTNP - 7/2014-5/2015 
    TTC #1 - 5/2015 (CP October @ 4w2d)
    *PCOS/Hypothyroid/Ectopic Kidney/High DHEA-S*
    HSG - All clear, ectopic kidney didn't affect uterus (yay!)
    CT Adrenal Scan - no tumors! :D
    SA - sperm count excellent, 2% Morphology
    March/April IUI scheduled -  surprise BFP w/ help of Progesterone - 3/18/2016
    Beta #1 @ 11dpo - 45.7 #2 @ 14dpo - 163 #3 @ 18dpo - 997 #4 @ 21dpo - 3799 :D
    EDD 12/1 based on O, 11/28 per Ob/Gyn (but he's wrong lol).

*TEAM BLUE!*

BabyFruit Ticker

Image result for funny i hate football memes

• @JustBored10-  I don't think I'm having any symptoms per say but one of my friends just threw it on the table as a maybe you should ask kind of thing just to  make sure.  I'm not what I would consider overweight really but I know that my BMI is slightly higher than what it should be.  I could easily stand to lose 10 lbs for sure, maybe 15, 20 would probably be a stretch.  I'm 5-8 and weight about 170 right now. I eat pretty well I think, protein shake for breakfast during the work week, celery and peanut butter for a mid day snack work week, lunch is usually salad or grilled chicken and veggies of some sort or something I make for lunch ( i meal prep for our lunches and some dinners) Dinner is usually fairly balanced, protein, veggie and a carb or starch.  I drink about 20 oz or so of coffee most days, lots of water, no soda, hot green tea, no sweeteners(12 oz during the work week)  sweets on occasion but my tummy is somewhat sensitive to certain things like candy in general so I just don't eat that.  Now chocolate pudding or chocolate milk are right up my alley but candy in general is too much for my tummy and gives me an upset stomach.  So i just don't eat it.  Wine on occasion- maybe 3-4 glasses a week, maybe.  just really wondering if i should make sure we do the testing now vs jan 1, especially since my deductible has been met already and I have an appt with RE in a week and half as well.  Just want to do whatever is necessary now to get the ball rolling.
  • I've had blood work done by my GYN and neither of the RE's or the GYN seemed concerned with any of that.  I do have what the GYN called a "reoccuring cyst" on my L ovary that was found by U/S and a small fibroid somewhere in the mix too.  The RE is going to do another U/S when I see him in a week so he can see things for himself.
  • @MNturnsVA my RE did my u/s and b/w at my initial consult so they may be able to fit it in before the end of the year.  Maybe call and ask to have that done at your appt so they know ahead of time.
    Married 9/19/09
    Me (32) Dx PCOS, DH (32) SA = Normal/mild morph issues
    TTC#5 July 2017 - 3rd cycle TTC = BFP on 11/12/17 at 9dpo Beta #1 = 96 at 13dpo - Beta #2 = 207 at 15dpo
    TTC#1  starting Nov. 2009
    3 rounds of Clomid + TI and 3 rounds of 7.5 mg Femara + IUI before our BFP on 11/8/10 at 12dpiui
    TTC #2 3rd cycle of Femara 7.5mg+Ovidrel+TI = 4 follies = BFP on 10/12/12 
    TTC#3 July 2014 - Metformin +TI = BFP at 9dpo - Twins, one baby lost at 5.5 weeks 
    Macy Annabelle born at 37w4d on 4/29/15.  Diagnosed with Cri du Chat and passed away on 6/6/15.  Forever in our hearts.
    TTC#4 3rd cycle of Metformin + Femara 7.5mg+Ovidrel+TI = 3 follies = BFP on 12/24/16
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • MNturnsVA said:

I've had blood work done by my GYN and neither of the RE's or the GYN seemed concerned with any of that.  I do have what the GYN called a "reoccuring cyst" on my L ovary that was found by U/S and a small fibroid somewhere in the mix too.  The RE is going to do another U/S when I see him in a week so he can see things for himself.

If this has been checked then what symptoms are you having to make you think you might have PCOS? Having one recurring cyst is different than multiple cysts you can get from PCOS.

• I wouldn't say I'm having any symptoms per say.....just wondering if i should make sure that the dr would have enough time to do any testing if he thought it was appropriate
  • It was just something a friend of brought up.....not something I'm thinking i have necessarily....but i don't want too get into Feb and still not done any testing for it and do testing in Feb only to find out i should have tested sooner
  • MNturnsVA said:

I wouldn't say I'm having any symptoms per say.....just wondering if i should make sure that the dr would have enough time to do any testing if he thought it was appropriate

If you're seeing a RE then they'll decide what kind of testing you'll need based on your health and the info about your cycles. They can do blood work and US that day if they decide to.

• There are three commonly accepted diagnostic criteria for PCOS: 1) polycystic ovaries, 2) irregular/long cycles, and 3) hormonal imbalance, particularly excess androgens. You need two of these three to be diagnosed with pcos. All other common symptoms of PCOS (weight issues, acne, hirsutism, etc) are caused/exacerbated by the three primary symptoms. Not everyone has every symptom.

Insulin resistance is common with pcos, but the exact link isn't fully understood. Doctors can test your blood sugar and insulin levels, but there isn't really a clearly defined set of diagnostic criteria for IR. My blood sugar levels are normal, and insulin is on the high end of normal. My gyn still believes I'm IR because of the PCOS and other symptoms (weight issues, constant excessive thirst, etc).