Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

TTC frustrations

New to the community, hoping one/more of you may have experienced what I am and could give me some tips or encouragement. 
Backstory- hubby and I have been trying to conceive since the first week of May, I had been on nuvaring for about six years and got my period as expected when I removed it. Used a charting app and ovulation strips afterwards, and had a couple faint positives before getting blood tests with falling hcg levels back from the doctor the third week of June. My doctor has confirmed that I'm not pregnant, but my cycle still hasn't resumed. I know that it can take a long time for my hormones to regulate, but now that it has been almost six months I am worried. I eat healthy, work out regularly, have been taking a prenatal since we started trying, and have been trying to follow guidelines for optimum fertility.. the faint positives had me thinking I was pregnant though, I've been reacting to the news that I wasn't as though I had a miscarriage. I am worried the stress, feeling of no control of my body and sadness after I didn't end up pregnant could be part of/the cause as well. I started drinking raspberry leaf tea and added some soy to my diet, based off of suggestions I found online for jump starting your cycle after years of hormonal birth control use. It's been a month and so far, nothing. I ordered an herbal supplement, vitex, and plan on starting to take that once it's delivered. Any other tips you may have? For getting my cycle back, or even just feeling normal through this process? 

Re: TTC frustrations

• Options
    bsckgb7bsckgb7 member
    edited December 2015
    Please don't supplements with out your doctor knowing about them.  Please do a search for Vitex on this board.  Lots of ladies say Vitex makes things WORSE.  Also, have you talked to your OB?  Are you having regular periods? If not, most OBs suggest Provera to jumpstart your period if you haven't had a period in 60 days.  

Also, read the Newbie post pinned to the top, read TCOYF and download the FF app.  
  • Options
    I wouldn't take any sort of supplements with out my OB recommending them. I've heard that Vitex can do more harm than good, like PP said. Talk to you OB if your cycles go beyond 60 days and remember it can take up to a year for a healthy couple to conceive. 

Me: 28 DH: 29
    Married: August 2014
    TTC #1 Since March 2015
    Diagnosed with PCOS March 2016
    SA results normal April 2016
    3 rounds clomid + trigger + TI = BFN
    3 rounds clomid + trigger + IUI = BFN
    Uterine polyp removed July 2017
    Round 1 IVF January 2018

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    I'm really sorry for what you're going through.  I know how frustrating it is not to have a cycle.  I've been off the pill for 9 months and still have not regulated (although there may be other reasons for that, the doctors don't really know what's wrong).  Some people just take a really long time.

I would definitely recommend NOT messing with vitex and soy unless approved by your doctor.  I've played with stuff like that in the past to poor results.  It can actually mess you up worse if you don't have any hormonal imbalances.  The only way I've been able to get a cycle is by taking Provera from the doctor to get my period. Also, I ovulated normally after that.  (It's the only time I actually ovulated at all).   I would definitely recommend looking into that if you go 60 days without a period. 

Best of luck to you!!
  • Options
    Another no vote on vitex. I have also heard bad reports of it messing up cycles. If herbs and supplements are your thing I highly recommend seeing a licensed naturopath or acupuncturist.
  • Options
    Welcome! I really would not recommend taking supplements like the ones you mentioned without your doctor's recommendation.

About what has happened to you, it does sound like a miscarriage, especially if your doctor confirmed the HCG was high and then falling. What concerns me is that you haven't been bleeding, not even with your period (which is what I infer from your post) and your doctor hasn't done anything. He should've done an ultrasound when you first went to see him, at least a sac should have been visible, to see what's going on there and if a D&C is needed.

No doctor would let you go 6 months without a period, especially if you were or might have been pregnant. If you were pregnant, which sounds like you were, they need to make sure there's no tissue left as it could cause a uterine infection. Call your doctor, he should've jump-started your period at 6w post miscarriage, 60 days normally. If your doctor dismisses this issue, I would get a new OB and go jn right away. I'm sorry you're having to go through this.
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    I'm with @AlwaysAuntNeverMom, if your doctor confirmed "falling hCG levels" then it sounds like you were pregnant. In your original post you said you got faint positive ovulation strips. Did you mean faint positive HPTs? Even if it was a very early MC/CP, you should have started bleeding. Are we correct in assuming you haven't or are you saying that you did bleed but that your cycle is now very irregular?
    Very sorry you're going this. I hope you stick around, there is a lot of helpful information and camaraderie on this board!

Me: 32 & DH: 37
    Married: November 2014
    TTC #1 Since: October 2015
    BFP #1: 11/18/15 - CP
    BFP #2: 2/8/16 - EDD 10/20/16
    IT'S A BOY!!!!
    DS Born 10/16/16

• Options
    I will look into the vitex further, I had not read many negative things about it before seeing your posts. I actually ordered it because there are so many reviews on how it's a great "gentle, herbal" way to balance your hormones, so thank you for the heads up! I'm glad I wasn't taking it already. 
    I did mean that the faint positives were pregnancy tests. Not ovulation. 
    While charting and testing my ovulation in May/June I did have a spike of positives, so yes I do believe I conceived and had an early miscarriage. My doctor hasn't contacted me about anything though, and when I had the appointment with her she just told me to wait out a period and that it may take awhile. She didn't want to examine me or do an ultrasound and it was nearing the end of her clinic hours for the day so I think she just wanted me to go :/  I had two separate blood tests, the older one obviously with a slightly higher hcg level than the second. The blood tests and practically pointless appointment cost me several hundred dollars as well, so if I can avoid having to go back to the doctor I'd like to try, hence the soy and vitex. I should probably also clarify that I'm not guzzling soy milk or anything, just using it in my cereal instead of regular milk. I was hoping to find a natural way to slowly stimulate my body back into producing estrogen, which yes, is assuming low estrogen production is at fault.
    I also have not had any bleeding since what my doctor called my "withdrawal period". No cramps even. Nothing since the end of May. 

Thank you, thank you for the kind words also :)
  • Options

***lurking from July BMB

I'd be finding a different doctor ASAP, both because it seems like you should have a doctor who is more concerned at this point and willing to give you more information and a clear plan for treatment and also a doctor who was more compassionate to begin with.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Me: 29 & Husband: 36                                                         
    Married: October 2014
    NTNP: April 2015 - June 2015
    M/C: June 2015
    TTC #1 since September 2015
    BFP: 11/9/15 - EDD: 7/24/16
  • Options
    Thanks for the clarification @mymellowmood23. I totally understand wanting to avoid additional costs associated with a Dr.'s visit but if you were pregnant in June, which you obviously were, and haven't bled yet, that is cause for concern.  I too had a very early MC/CP and my NP was adamant about tracking my hCG back down to under 5 because of the risk of infection. I would find another doctor if I were you. 
    FWIW, I was interested in doing whatever I could to holistically balance my hormones and get back on track after my CP. I decided to try out acupuncture as I've heard it is helpful/beneficial. Just a thought and maybe a better alternative to supplements. That being said, who knows if any of it works but at least acupuncture won't hurt anything (as far as I know!).
    Good luck to you. 

Me: 32 & DH: 37
    Married: November 2014
    TTC #1 Since: October 2015
    BFP #1: 11/18/15 - CP
    BFP #2: 2/8/16 - EDD 10/20/16
    IT'S A BOY!!!!
    DS Born 10/16/16

• Options
    @megstervt  I think I will do that. It may even make me feel a bit better to start with a clean slate of sorts.
    And as @MRSCORKER suggested I will also look into acupunture. 
    Thank you both for your encouragement and advice!
  • Options
    If you have legitimate cause for concern (not something like "oh my god I didn't get pregnant after the first two months!") and it seems like you do since you had HCG levels but no bleeding and your doctor does not seem interested or responsive, I think you are definitely right to find someone new. Think of it this way, if he is not concerned about this do you really want him treating you through your pregnancy and birth?
  • Options
    I agree with PPs who says find a new doctor.  I had a similar experience with an uninterested doctor and made a switch.  Best decision I could have made, way happier with the new one.