Breastfeeding

Pumping mamas - How much milk do you leave your one year old?

ajlmomajlmom member
edited December 2015 in Breastfeeding
Hello mamas!  LO is turning one next week and I'm not sure if i need to change anything in our feeding routine.
I work 4 days a week and currently dream feed her before I go to work and leave three 5oz bottles for her while I'm gone for 11 hrs. 
She also eats 2 meals when I'm at work and one more at dinner with us.  There is also a bedtime nursing session.

I used to pump a lot of milk but my supply is way down, but I still manage to pump enough for her 3 bottles. 

I'd like some input on whether I should cut a feed or leave her less milk after her birthday? 
I may not start her on cows milk if I can still pump for her.  How much milk do they need after 12 months?

Thanks in advance.
Pregnant with #2

IVF cycle 1 (Nov 2013)- freeze all d/t OHSS
FET #1-BFN
FET #2-BFP baby girl born Dec 2014
FET #3-Sept 2017 BFP but miscarried at 6 weeks

IVF cycle 2 (Oct 2017)- freeze all again d/t OHSS
FET #1 BPF, pregnant with a singleton due Sept 2018

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Pumping mamas - How much milk do you leave your one year old?

• You don't need to start cows milk, it's only recommended for the vitamin d, so I would continue vitamin d drops if you're not planning on using cows milk. I think the daily dairy recommendation is 3 8 oz glasses of milk so maybe keep doing what you're doing. It sounds like enough milk to me if you are leaving 15 ozs with her and bf'ing twice a day. If you're worried about her getting enough calcium you could give a serving of yogurt or cheese during the day. HTH
    Me 26 DH 31. Off oral contraception since 1/2012. Actively TTC # 1 since 4/2012. CD3 bloodwork, hsg normal 6/2013. SA performed 7/2013 - low count, low motility. First RE appointment 9/4/2013. Were told SA not good enough for IUI. Repeat SA and additional bloodwork ordered. RE suggests DH see a urologist. http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3e32d9/thumb.png
  • She doesn't 'need' any milk during the day to be honest. As long as she is nursing at home, drinking water at daycare, and getting dairy with her meals she is getting the nutrients she 'needs' from milk during the day. If you plan on continuing to pump, I would simply send what milk you do pump. If the amount decreases over time, that's okay.

That being said, my LO gets whole cow's milk at daycare. I weaned myself off the pump and no longer send BM to daycare. We did this because I feel more comfortable making his transition to no milk more slowly with whole milk. I used up what little stash I had to make it to his first birthday (I got pregnant in October so my milk supply has slowly tanked). We still nurse in the mornings and evenings and throughout the day on weekends.

DS: EDD, December 19th, 2014. Born, December 19th, 2014!
    DD: EDD, July 18th, 2016. Born, July 19th, 2016!
    CafeMom Tickers

Baby #3: EDD, April 16th, 2016
    Pregnancy Ticker