Infertility

New to IUI

Hello everyone, I have been on here a little while. Still navigating through it. We've been trying to conceive for about 7 years. This month was our first round of IUI. Took the trigger on the 11/27, IUI on the 29. My question is my follicles on the side I don't have a FT was at a 18mm and the other side had two at 15mm. The last IU was done on the 27. All the info I've looked at said the trigger can make the eggs grow? From reading about the size it doesn't seem like those number were high enough. I'm in the 2ww. Don't want to get my hopes up but it's so hard not to think about it. I've read it's normal to feel side effects from the shots. Is there a time frame when the side effects leave the system? I have a blood test scheduled on Dec 16. Any info will be appreciated. Thanks

Re: New to IUI

• Welcome @ColeM91. I can;t answer you specific question, but welcome to the group!  I'm sure many ladies here will have some advice for you and can help you out.
    Married Jan. 2014
    Me:36 DH: 39
    TTC since August 2014, Mild PCOS + uterine fibroids
    Myomectomy June 2015- 18 fibroids removed
    IVF #1, May 2016 = 32 eggs retrieved, 12 fertilized, 7 frozen, 3 PGS normal
    FET#2, July 2016 = one embryo transferred 
    TRIGGER
    BFP! Beta = 617
    Due date = 4/9/17
    Delivery date = 3/20/17
  • @ColeM91 I had my IUI on the 29th too. Cycle buddies!
    I had two follicles on my right at trigger. 1 at 19mm and another at 15mm. My RE was pretty confident that the trigger shot was going to bump the 15mm up enough to release at ovulation. I would be pretty optimistic about the 15mm follicles you had.
    My RE doesn't schedule a beta unless you get a positive hpt so I will probably test next Saturday or Sunday.

FX that you get your BFP this cycle!!
    Me: 29 DH: 44
    DX: PCOS
    IUI #1, Nov 2016 - BFN
    IUI #2, Jan 2017 - BFN
    IVF #1, Feb 2017 - 22 eggs retrieved, 18 fertilized, 14 Day-5 blasts to freeze
    FET #1, Feb 2018 - 
  • Loading the player...
  • Welcome!  I believe a follicle is considered to be mature at 17mm.  Right before I triggered I had 2 that were mature and a few close behind, and my RE said it was possible that the ones close behind would be released along with the already mature ones.  My IUI probably would have been canceled if it weren't for our MFI issue... but we need multiple targets so my RE was fine with it.

I think you're good with your follicles!  FX for you!
    ***BFP & Child Warning***

Me: 34, DH: 38 ~ TTC since 2014
    IUI #1-3 (Nov 2015, Feb 2016, May 2016) = BFNs
    IVF ER (July 2016) = 7 PGS normal embryos
    FET #1 (Sept 2016) = BFP! DD born 5/30/17
    FET #2 (April 2019) = BFN
    FET #3 (July 2019) = BFP! DS born 3/27/20
  • @Mando15 how exciting to have a cycle buddy. How are you feeling? Are you experiencing any cramping or very tender breasts, crazy emotional ? It's probably from the shots from what I read. I'm trying to not work myself up thinking it might be more. FX that you get a BFP as well.
  • *bfp mentionned*
    Does your RE do bloodwork too when he does the monitoring? On my first (and successful) IUI, I had a 19mm, 2 15mm and a 14mm. We thought I had at least another day of injects and monitoring, but it turned out that my LH was surging (as per my bloodwork). So I was told to trigger that night and come for the IUI the next morning. There's therefore very little chance that my smaller ones made it to the ideal range (18-22mm) from what I've been told. I'm now 18w along with one little bean. So yes, 18-19mm (especially since you had more time for them to grow) is plenty. And it only takes one :) FX for you!
  • @ColeM91 I haven't really noticed any symptoms yet. I guess some cramping here and there. And my sweet tooth is OUT OF CONTROL. But not much. Trying to figure out things to keep me busy over the next 10 days.

How have you been feeling?
    Me: 29 DH: 44
    DX: PCOS
    IUI #1, Nov 2016 - BFN
    IUI #2, Jan 2017 - BFN
    IVF #1, Feb 2017 - 22 eggs retrieved, 18 fertilized, 14 Day-5 blasts to freeze
    FET #1, Feb 2018 - 
  • @wifeinraleigh28 thanks. Sometimes it's gets fuzzy reading what a good follicle is in mm by going off what others numbers are.
    @KidShrink yes blood work is always done the same day. The Friday I took the trigger I had 2, 15mm one, 14mm on my good side, the side I don't have a fallopian tube had one at 18mm. I read that the trigger could help them grow around 2mm a day. Has anyone heard this? When I asked they said they needed to be in the high teens. Maybe looking information can do more harm than good. Congrats on your BFP! How exciting!
    @Mando15 I feel extremely bloated/fat, my breasts are so sore, I could cry at anything, and super hungry. It's so hard not to think what if..... Hoping for this best! Baby dust to you all
  • ColeM91 - what was your progesterone level?  That's a good indication of maturity of the follicles.  But they should grow 2mm a day before you O.  So those two 15s should have grown to close to 18 before you O (you O 36 hours after the trigger).  
  • They said it was good. I didn't even ask! I just listen and go through the motions. I live 2.5 hours away from Boston where I go. That week was a lot of travel back and forth so it was kind of a blur. At first they thought they would up my 75mg, then when the blood work came in I was told I was right on track. When I went back he was like your ready, then I said that side doesn't have a fallopian tube so I did another two days of injections, more BW & US then on Fri they called said I was ready for the trigger and to come back on Sunday. I have been researching more as I go through this. Then comparing what I know to what I've read. Thanks for the info.