Trying to Get Pregnant

Cant be normal!

I am on day 47 of my cycle and still not pregnant and no period in sight. I'm so frustrated right now. I am thinking about taking Clomid but I don't want to jump the gun. Been trying since June.
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Cant be normal!

• I am on day 47 of my cycle and still not pregnant and no period in sight. I'm so frustrated right now. I am thinking about taking Clomid but I don't want to jump the gun. Been trying since June.
    QFP

Are you temping?  That's the only way to confirm ovulation and to time sex around your fertile window.  Also ready TCOYF.  Also, probably helpful the read the post for Newbies pinned at the tops.  It can take the average couple up to 1 year to get pregnant.  
  • I am on day 47 of my cycle and still not pregnant and no period in sight. I'm so frustrated right now. I am thinking about taking Clomid but I don't want to jump the gun. Been trying since June.

Cycles vary. Even if your cycles are normally shorter, you can have longer cycles without there being anything wrong. The conventional suggestion is to contact your doctor if you hit day 60 without either your period or a positive pregnancy test. At that point, they may give you Provera to jumpstart your period but NOT Clomid. Do not take Clomid without an infertility diagnosis from an RE. Use the search box to look up more info on it - it is a powerful fertility medication, not something that's just used to jumpstart a cycle. Remember, TTC is stressful but impatience =/= infertility.

TTC #1 --- BFP #1 5/15, loss at 5 weeks --- BFP #2 12/15, loss at 4+3 --- RE testing 3/16 normal, still trying for our rainbow    

• Loading the player...
  • ^ all of this
    Me: 26     DH: 25
    DS1 -- 9/30/2016

• I am using an ovulation kit. I have had 2 other children with no issues. For some reason my cycles keep getting longer. I am aware it can take a year before you conceive. It only took 2 months with ny other 2 kids. What does TCOYF mean?
  • TCOYF = Taking Charge of Your Fertility, an excellent book by Toni Weschler. 

TTC #1 --- BFP #1 5/15, loss at 5 weeks --- BFP #2 12/15, loss at 4+3 --- RE testing 3/16 normal, still trying for our rainbow    

• TCOYF = Taking Charge of Your Fertility an amazing book by Toni W.

OPKs tell you when you have an LH serge and women can have multiple LH serges in one cycle. The only way to confirm ovulation is by temping. You probably just ovulated later than you think.
    Me: 26     DH: 25
    DS1 -- 9/30/2016

• Since June? That's not very long at all. Don't jump the gun and take fertility drugs. They can be dangerous if not monitored properly and many other things should be addressed first before you even consider that.

Andplusalso cycles change. Temping is the only way to confirm ovulation. Perhaps you have not ovulated yet, or you did just a few days ago. You will never know unless you temp.

So impatience =/= infertility.

TCOYF = Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni W. It's an excellent book if you want to know how cycles really work.
  • LulucooksLulucooks member
    edited November 2015

I am using an ovulation kit. I have had 2 other children with no issues. For some reason my cycles keep getting longer. I am aware it can take a year before you conceive. It only took 2 months with ny other 2 kids. What does TCOYF mean?

Just because you conceived quickly the first two times doesn't not mean you need to take strong, dangerous fertility drugs this time. Give it the year, start charting and temping, if after a year you haven't conceived go to see an RE and see what they think you need to do.

• I am using an ovulation kit. I have had 2 other children with no issues. For some reason my cycles keep getting longer. I am aware it can take a year before you conceive. It only took 2 months with ny other 2 kids. What does TCOYF mean?
    Hi, there. I have also been TFAS since June. Although we were lucky to conceive quickly the first time, it's not working out that way this time. Am I considering taking dangerous fertility drugs? No. You have only a 20% chance of conceiving each month. Unless you're going 60 days without AF or a positive test, you're within the realm of normal.  
    DS 12.02.11

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I am not jumping any guns. I have been to the Dr and had blood work and an exam and this is what was recommended to me. I have been off bc since December but actively trying since June. So it's been almost a year since I haven't been using anything to prevent pregnancy. Since June I've been using OPKs and having sex almost every other day. Since May my cycles keep getting longer and longer. I have no plans to take fertility drugs all Willy nilly. I guess the reason I posted was to vent/find someone in a similar boat.
  • I am not jumping any guns. I have been to the Dr and had blood work and an exam and this is what was recommended to me. I have been off bc since December but actively trying since June. So it's been almost a year since I haven't been using anything to prevent pregnancy. Since June I've been using OPKs and having sex almost every other day. Since May my cycles keep getting longer and longer. I have no plans to take fertility drugs all Willy nilly. I guess the reason I posted was to vent/find someone in a similar boat.
    If you haven't been preventing for almost a year you could see an RE. You need to have an HSG to make sure your tubes are open and your husband needs to have a semen analysis. Please do not take clomid from an OB. An RE will do proper monitoring to make sure you are not at risk for high-order multiples and selective reduction from clomid.
    But see that's the thing.  OBs do RX fertility drugs ALL THE TIME as the next step "recommended" step to ladies who can't get pregnant.  And yes they prescribe it "all willy nilly" and don't do the monitoring.  Whatever you do don't take Clomid from the OB.    
  • To add on the 'Clomid prescribed by an OB' topic, you only have a 6 cycle lifetime max for Clomid...so if your OB is prescribing it without doing testing like an SA and HSG first or monitoring you properly, you could be wasting your 6 chances...not to mention all the side effects Clomid has if not monitored property which could cause long-term damage. 
    Me: 31 | H: 32
    Married September 2014
    TTC #1 December 2014
    RE appt 12/2015
    CD3 labs normal | HSG 1/8/16 clear | H's SA excellent
    Dx: Unexplained Infertility
    February 2016, cycle 16 - cycle #1 with Letrozole 5mg + TI | Progesterone=20.6
    BFP 2/24/16 - EDD 11/7/16
    It's a girl!
    Isla Quinn born 10/29/16 at 38w5d via C/S
    --------
    TFAS March 2018
    RE consultation 8/2/18
    Suprise! BFP 8/8/18 natural cycle | EDD 4/19/19
    It's a girl!
    Afton Noelle born 4/10/19 at 38w5d via natural VBAC