November 2015 Moms

I feel like I'm doing it wrong…

Within the last couple of days, I've started to have a really hard time. My DS is 2 1/2 weeks old, and I have a three-year-old as well. Nursing has been kind of a nightmare, I still have a lot of pain especially in my left breast. DH is not helping very much, and I'm starting to get really really angry with him. His paternity leave just ended :-) I don't know, I think all I need is some encouragement. I'm wondering if I'm having some postpartum hormones settling in at this point. Anyone else with experience? I just feel utterly overwhelmed.

Re: I feel like I'm doing it wrong…

• Does your hospital/clinic offer lactation consultants. They are amazing. I found out my LO was putting her tongue in the wrong place which was causing the sore nipples. Seek them out. Or if they have a support group! My hospital offered a once a week group.
  • It's a okay to feel discouraged / crummy, but also a okay to get help. I definitely hit a wall around 8ish every day and get a little weepy / frustrated. Is there any way you can steal a moment to yourself that's all yours, like during a shower or just sitting outside? I find those quiet seconds alone help me regroup. Best of luck breastfeeding!
  • Loading the player...
  • I definitely feel overwhelmed. I met with a lactation consultant and it helped a lot!!! I highly recommend it.
  • My husband's paternity leave just ended and I'm starting to struggle too. My LO has been a little fussier these last few days which makes it difficult to feed him and he's not being comforted easily. It makes me want to cry because he's upset and I'm struggling to fix it.

But I know that these struggles will pass (or really be traded in for different struggles), and I am so in love with my son that it's okay. I'll take the fussiness for the few little smiles I get throughout the day. I wouldn't mind getting a little more sleep but I know some day Zeke will sleep without needing to be held (and then I'll miss our late night cuddles). Having the encouragement of this board as well as non-Internet friends has made things easier, that's for sure.

Hugs, momma!
  • I 2nd the PP suggestion of seeing a LC. DD was in the hospital for 8 days after she was born and the LC came to see us every day, it was so helpful. And definitely tell your H how you are feeling at a time when things are calm, even if he is back at work at least you can talk about some options when he is home to give you a break. DH takes our toddler to run errands on the weekend mornings so I can sleep in with the baby, it is a nice break.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • You're not alone momma! Last night was pretty horrible for me, I was so close to tears. Baby would not go to sleep, it was a night full of cat naps, 20-30 minute sleeps then crying for boob. I was so glad when it was day time, SO is back to work also so I don't really get a break. But as PP mentioned, some time to yourself is a great way to refresh, all I'm able to get these days is a shower, I don't rush it... Even if I hear baby crying. I take my time, enjoy the water, and just unwind. It helps, hopefully you can come across something that'll work for you. Breastfeeding is hard work, but so worth it, you can do this!
  • I have had quite a bit of difficulty breast-feeding and I've been told by many people that it can take 6 to 8 weeks for your baby to really get the hang of it. For me, I'm on maternity leave so my purpose for being off is to look after my little one so The fact that it is time-consuming is not a big deal for me. I have been extremely overwhelmed with the feeding as well as family visiting nonstop and lack of sleep of course. I personally was surprised at all of the support resources that were available through the hospital, my midwives as well as the community in general with public health nurses. My advice would be to reach outand ask all the questions you have, get all the support that is available. Definitely explain to your husband what you need from him right now and do what is best for you and your emotions but hopefully, wherever you live there is a wealth of support to help new mommies:)