June 2016 Moms

Chronic hypertension before pregnancy

I have had high blood pressure since, 2012-ish?  Anyway, I did not have high blood pressure during or before for my first pregnancy.  I was wondering if any of you have been through a pregnancy before and had high blood pressure but was already established and managed by medication.  My blood pressure was (and is) managed and under control before I became pregnant, so I am hoping that I will not be at an increased risk for pre eclampsia. I know that no one can tell what will actually happen, I guess I am more looking for experience.

Re: Chronic hypertension before pregnancy

• I haven't had it personally, but my SIL did. Her first pregnancy ended with pre-e at 33 weeks. Her second pregnancy made it to 39 weeks, but ended in pre -e as well. I will say that she's stubborn as hell and insisted both times on waiting to try to have natural labor, against medical advice. With her first, her doctor wanted her on full bedrest but she didn't listen and decided to go to her baby shower and finish the nursery. ..her blood pressure sky rocketed within a day. Then her doctor wanted to schedule s c-section for her second pregnancy at 38 weeks before her symptoms got out of control but she didn't listen and both her and the baby had to be hospitalized longer. So. ..I would find a doctor you trust and actual listen to them.
  • Oh absolutely! I do get monitored often with my PCP as well as with my OB.  They did inform me that around 30 or so  weeks they will bring me in twice a week to do a stress test and ultrasound to make sure nothing is starting to happen.  I was hoping that being medicated and having it under control I would skate by.  Thanks for the info, I want to be as prepared for that scenario as I possibly can!
  • Loading the player...
  • This is my first pregnancy. I've had high blood pressure for five or six years and take Labetolol to control it. Knock on wood my bp has been amazing since I got pregnant. I'm almost hoping it straightens me out. The doctors don't seem too concerned- they like that I am taking the meds because it will respond better if I need to increase dose vs just starting meds when they notice an increase.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • That is the exact spot I am in.  I figured that it was good that I am on a medication that my body can tolerate and that seems to work.  Just hoping if it rises, it is as simple as tweaking the dosage.  My blood pressure has been perfect since pregnancy as well, fingers crossed it continues for us :)
  • I am in the same boat. Very good to educate yourself early on! Wishing you a healthy pregnancy.