Trying to Get Pregnant

A true false positive (defective test)

Hello!

This is my first post on this board. I am 27, DH is 36. I have been lurking for the past month or two and TTC for our 1st baby since September. This is my 3rd cycle currently on CD39.

A little over a week ago we had a big let down. I was on CD28 ( about 2-3 days late) and got a BFP. My DH and I were super excited! The next morning we decided to take another test just for fun and it came back negative. We ended up getting blood work which came back -2 HCG. When I asked my Dr. what happened she said the test must have been defective. To note the test was clearblue digital test (both the positive and the negative test were done with FMU). I asked my Dr. if this could have been a chemical pregnancy she told me there was no way since the blood-work came back negative. Some kind of luck... Can you imagine if someone not trying to get pregnant had this happen.. I had to try and find some humor in the let down :)

Has anyone else experienced a true defective test? Just curious.. 

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: A true false positive (defective test)

• Oh wow! Thankfully I have not encountered a defective test and hope not to. Sorry that happened to you. Good luck with your TTC journey.
  • I'm so sorry!! I did have an evap once but that's not really the same thing. I let the test sit for hours and then had a clear line. Unfortunately I didn't know about evaps until later so I really thought I had a bfp. I know what a let down that can be.
  • Loading the player...
  • ***lurking***

I'm confused how your beta was -2? I thought <0.0001 was the lowest.

If it was an hcg of 2 then it could have been a CP instead of a false positive. No way to know with certainty but I'm glad you are all set to temp & chart next cycle.

In any case, I'm sorry you went through that.
  • Sorry to hear that happened I can imagine it would be awful :(

Me: 32 Him: 29 Live : London, UK
    TTC #1 since October 2015
    IVF Fresh Nov 16 = BFN
    IVF FET Jan 17 = BFP
    EDD: Oct 4th 2017
    TEAM: PINK!!
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Sorry to hear that.I could only imagine how much of a let down that would be.I'm glad you will start temping and using FF.It's great to know whats going on with your body.
    TTC #2

What i'm trying: Seed Cycling,Fertility Friend,&Charting.
    My Ovulation Chart

• edited November 2015
    I haven't had a false positive but I have had a positive followed a day and a half later by a negative-- however, it was caused by a chemical pregnancy (this was confirmed through beta draws because I was doing IUI at he time). Im very sorry you got that defective test, that is a huge let down!
  • BostonBaby1 I do question how I got a -2 as well but both the Dr and her assistant confirmed it. The blood work was done about 4 days after my positive test.. 

I keep a glimpse of hope that it was a chemical pregnancy, which would mean I at least got pregnant!

Now I am on CD40 and ready for AF to get here so I can start charting next month. 

Pregnancy Ticker