April 2016 Moms

GTKY: Show me your Christmas tree/Christmas decorations!

Christmas is my favorite holiday and nothing makes it feel more like Christmas than having your tree and decorations up! If you don't have your tree or decorations up yet post later or post an idea of what you're doing!

Re: GTKY: Show me your Christmas tree/Christmas decorations!

• Decorated blue for our baby boy! The whole time we were setting up the Christmas tree I made DH listen to Christmas music with me lol.
  • Decorated blue for our baby boy! The whole time we were setting up the Christmas tree I made DH listen to Christmas music with me lol.

Tree decorated.. Presents wrapped? Great, come do my house now! The tree is up but we haven't decorated it yet.
  • Loading the player...
  • edited November 2015

Decorated blue for our baby boy! The whole time we were setting up the Christmas tree I made DH listen to Christmas music with me lol.

Tree decorated.. Presents wrapped? Great, come do my house now! The tree is up but we haven't decorated it yet.
    Only the boxes in the back are actual presents. The ones up front are for decoration lol. We bought presents earlier this year and already gave them to each other (our puppy and Xbox one)!
  • I haven't even gotten a tree this year yet. Hoping to go pick one out this week with DS! Having a real tree is my favorite childhood Christmas tradition.. and they smell oh so good.
  • Monicagail1Monicagail1 member
    edited November 2015
    This is my first time attempting to post a pic via mobile, but I can't resist sharing Christmas decor :) sorry in advance if this ends up wonky.

We don't have our tree yet (will go get a fresh tree this weekend) but got the rest of our interior decor up. Here's a shot of my fireplace area.

[IMG]https://i67.tinypic.com/2ewkwi1.jpg[/IMG]
    Love: 8.10.99
    Marriage: 12.18.04
    DD1: 5.19.10
    DD2: 4.11.12
    #3 EDD 4.23.16

• Ugh, I'm a moron. Sorry!
    #3 EDD 4.23.16

• I am not sure if I am doing a tree this year. It takes up so much room, and I have to worry about spiders in it and my cat eating the pine needles. I thought about getting a fake one but I don't know if that is too lame and then I have to store the thing. :(
  • I love Christmas but have no energy to decorate for it this year. I think DH would be ok if we didn't but DD is 2.5 - which last year it was a pain to keep her out of the tree. I expect this year to be worse. It sounds like a bunch of stress and anxiety for me with a ton of humor and amusement for DH.
  • @MrsZKO pointers on getting the ribbon on your tree? I tried last year and it was awful haha.
    Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • I love Christmas but have no energy to decorate for it this year. I think DH would be ok if we didn't but DD is 2.5 - which last year it was a pain to keep her out of the tree. I expect this year to be worse. It sounds like a bunch of stress and anxiety for me with a ton of humor and amusement for DH.
    Surprisingly my DD is actually ok leaving the tree relatively alone. She will be 2 in a few weeks and we really thought we'd have a problem with it since most of the ornaments are animals or soccer balls or cookies/candy (a total hodge podge of stuff really), but once I put them on the tree she knew that was their "place" and she is all about things being in order where they belong. Now she'll touch them, point to them, but she won't take them off. We put the breakables out of her reach to be on the safe side, but the biggest issue we've had to deal with is her trying to put her mini stuffed animals in the tree as ornaments...which is actually adorable. Last year was of a bigger concern to us so we actually put our tree up on a table. 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • We're still renovating, which has to be done in two weeks because our house is on a Christmas Home Tour. But here are my two areas that are partially done, but still in progress.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Does anyone know of a good toddler friendly train set to go around the tree? DD is currently obsessed...OBSESSED...with trains and DH suggested getting a set to go around the bottom of the tree. They are just pricey...and I want something sturdy that will withstand her.
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • We're still renovating, which has to be done in two weeks because our house is on a Christmas Home Tour. But here are my two areas that are partially done, but still in progress.
    What is a Christmas Home Tour?!?

We live in a historic town and different home owners open their doors for the "Candlelight Walk" for two nights during the Christmas season. Guests get to walk around some pretty neat homes. They also have a summer home tour and a garden tour as well. People come from all over the place for these events. Some of the homes here are just amazing. We felt obligated to be on it because our house was supposed to be on the summer home tour the year we bought it, but since we had just moved in, it just wasn't good timing. Now we've had some time (3.5 years) to fill it up and decorate it to our liking. There are rooms that we won't show because they still need to be worked on, but just about all of our main level is done and we'll show 3 of our 5 bedrooms upstairs.

We live in a historic town and different home owners open their doors for the "Candlelight Walk" for two nights during the Christmas season. Guests get to walk around some pretty neat homes. They also have a summer home tour and a garden tour as well. People come from all over the place for these events. Some of the homes here are just amazing. We felt obligated to be on it because our house was supposed to be on the summer home tour the year we bought it, but since we had just moved in, it just wasn't good timing. Now we've had some time (3.5 years) to fill it up and decorate it to our liking. There are rooms that we won't show because they still need to be worked on, but just about all of our main level is done and we'll show 3 of our 5 bedrooms upstairs.
    Our town did one as a fundraiser a few years ago. It was awesome!
    #3 EDD 4.23.16

• @MrsZKO pointers on getting the ribbon on your tree? I tried last year and it was awful haha.
    @pinottoparenthood Well this garland I actually made myself with three simple things. Two big rolls of sparkly burlap, a burlap string and a sowing needle. So I basically just ran the string through the burlap kind of criss-crossing and it naturally bunched up. To place it, I put the ornaments first, and then I start at the top, holding the one end in one hand, and the rest in the other, and then I make my way around. I know this one only goes around 3 and a half times on this tree so I just space it out approximately and then once it's on, I'll adjust it.
  • MrsZko said:
    @MrsZKO pointers on getting the ribbon on your tree? I tried last year and it was awful haha.
    @pinottoparenthood Well this garland I actually made myself with three simple things. Two big rolls of sparkly burlap, a burlap string and a sowing needle. So I basically just ran the string through the burlap kind of criss-crossing and it naturally bunched up. To place it, I put the ornaments first, and then I start at the top, holding the one end in one hand, and the rest in the other, and then I make my way around. I know this one only goes around 3 and a half times on this tree so I just space it out approximately and then once it's on, I'll adjust it.
    okay, I give up already hahaha
    Amanda

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • MrsZko said:
    @MrsZKO pointers on getting the ribbon on your tree? I tried last year and it was awful haha.
    Lol! sorry! If you live in Canada near me I'll show you ;)!
  • So we don't have a tree yet, but I have started putting out a few things... :D
    The reindeer handprint we did last year (and also did them for grandmas)... I am obsessed!
    I just got the Christmas tree print off Etsy, but I want to get a much bigger (matted) frame for it!
    Amanda

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • MrsZko said:
    MrsZko said:
    Thanks ;):p I live in pretty much the opposite of Canada... North Carolina!
    Amanda

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • MrsZko said:
    MrsZko said:
    Thanks ;):p I live in pretty much the opposite of Canada... North Carolina!
    Lol definitely a long drive!!!
  • Wow, everybody is super ahead of the game!  We did go out and get our tree Saturday (real tree, smells amazing!), but it is still undecorated.  Husband is adamant that he wants only lights and tinsel on the tree---no garland, no ribbon, no ornaments---but I'd like to put up at least some simple red and silver balls or something. We had the same discussion last year; I'm thinking it might be a holiday tradition for us. 
  • We haven't put up the tree yet, but we bought ornaments today. Had to get one for LO!
  • Our tree is in shambles this year. 1/4 of my lights are out on my white light pre-lit tree. Instead of buying a strand of white lights to fill in the gap I just wrapped 2 strands of colored lights (I had laying around because I'm not a huge fan of colored lights) on the tree over the white ones to hide the spot that's out.

You can totally tell ...lol

The fireplace (with the tv I didn't want above it )looks nice tho.

• briterfly84briterfly84 member
    edited December 2015
    DH and I worked on the outside lights this weekend and I caved for the first time ever and got an artificial tree.  I never took my garland down from last year (winner right here) so that was an easy decorating task--plug it in! The kids decorated the tree last night! I have a sneaky suspicion our elves will try to decorate the kids rooms tonight! 

imageimage

I live in a historic district as well and will be opening my home for our annual Christmas Cookie Tour. Same concept, except there's a lot of baking involved. Seems weird at first, but I love showing off the things I've done to the place over the years!
  • :blush:

Me: 23 Hubby: 26
    Married: April 2011
    Son: May 2014
    Baby #2 Due: April 4th, 2016
  • So jealous of you gals! Hubby and I have both been sick since Thanksgiving so we haven't been able to get out to get a tree yet.

I can't put up any of my other decorations either because our house looks like it should be on an episode of Hoarders since we had to pull all the furniture and junk out of all of our bedrooms to have new carpet installed. Now the install keeps getting delayed and I have to navigate around huge piles of junk and furniture. :(
  • Does anyone know of a good toddler friendly train set to go around the tree? DD is currently obsessed...OBSESSED...with trains and DH suggested getting a set to go around the bottom of the tree. They are just pricey...and I want something sturdy that will withstand her.
    Geotrax withstand lots of toddler/preschooler abuse. They're kinda pricey, but you can usually find a used set on Craigslist. We've had a set we got on Craigslist that has lasted through both my boys, who were really rough on it. Besides that, all I can think of are the wooden trains & tracks.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Here's our decorations. We put the unbreakable ornaments on the bottom 1/3 of the tree. So far my toddlers haven't bothered it too much.
    BabyFruit Ticker