October 2015 Moms
Options

gooey eye?

Baby has snot like sticky liquid in/around his one eye. In the morning it's glued shut. Anyone know what this is or why it's happening?! Thanks!

Re: gooey eye?

• Options
    Tear duct not fully developed yet. It will over time in first year . You can wipe with warm washcloth
  • Options
    What PP said and also you can put a few drops of breast milk in that eye and it will help clear it right up.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Clogged tear duct most likely.
    Babies also get goopy eye when the have colds. For some reason, they not only get the usual cold symptoms, but also goopy eye.
  • Options
    You can also massage the spot between the eye and the nose to unclog the duct. My LO had it for the fist week of life.
  • Options
    Ive used breast milk twice a day for a few days and i massage the tear duct for 10 seconds a few time a day. Has made a big difference!!
  • Options
    My LO had this in one eye her first week too. We were successful with massaging and breastmilk.
  • Options
    I used breast milk in my sons eye. Totally clear by the next morning
  • Options
    Just keep an eye on it and keep it very clean. Put a cotton ball compress over tge eye and message the bridge of the nose toward the sinuses. Call the doc if it starts to swell or get red in the eyeball as that would be more conjunctivitis and would need antibiotics. Very easy for them to get but goes away with even just a few applications of the cream.
  • Options
    I cleaned my sons eye whenever it was sticky and wiped the gunk and crusty bits. Then twice a day I put breastmilk in his eye. It has finally cleared after almost 3 weeks.