December 2015 Moms

Would you worry?

My baby is breech and his head is a very visible lump in my belly so I always can tell how he's laying. Yesterday I accidentally ran into the corner of the counter, hard enough for it to leave a red mark on my skin and it was right where his head is. How protected are they in there? I probably wouldn't worry too much if I didn't know it was his head right there. I'm trying not to be crazy and call my doctor.

Re: Would you worry?

• LaceyH13 said:

I don't think this is a situation where anybody would consider you crazy for calling your doctor. Has his movement changed since then?

Call. Your. Doctor.

I don't think so. It's hard to tell because he's been moving less lately anyways with the less space. I anxiously waited to feel him last night and I did feel some squirming. Now that I'm paranoid it feels like an eternity between feeling him kick or move.
  • Loading the player...
  • Call your doctor. Why wait while your baby is potentially injured?
  • I have a pocket Doppler reader (haven't used since first tri) and I just checked and easily found his heart rate btwn 120-130. I don't know what is normal tho
  • I was told thatbthey are vwry protected in there. However...my little one head butted me when i was pg with my last baby and i called thebdr and thet did a peace of mind ultra sound and nst. No one would think you were crazy to call. It wpuld be crazy NOT to worry and call.
  • Why sit and worry. Give your doctor a call and have them check. You will sleep better knowing everything is good, which it in all likelihood is. They're very cushioned in there, but it will help your stress level.
  • Definitely call your doctor for peace of mind. I have been reassured many times that my LO is very protected in there but the NSTs really do give me some relief.
  • Yeah you need to call your doc just to make sure everything is fine but if it helps you relax before you have a chance to see doc, my doctor said that they are INCREDIBLY well protected in there and reasoned with me that we used to carry babies during close-quarter hunting and would get gored by elk and all kinds of other messed up rodeo-style injuries. I'm not encouraging anybody to go out and hop on a mechanical bull or anything. But if it helps you relax..
  • Just wanted to update and thank you all for responding! I called on Saturday and the on call Dr told me it should be fine as long as I had no cramping. I had my weekly appt with my ob this morning and she told me that babies are VERY protected in there, even if something does hit where his head is, there's still enough protection that they are safe. She said unless you're hit hard enough that you have a bad bruise and are in a lot of pain than it wouldn't affect the baby.
    Good to know for the future! Although I will try to accommodate navigating better through the kitchen with my big belly