December 2015 Moms
Options

STM's Swelling After C-section? (Or postpartum in general)

I searched and didn't find anything in regards to this, if it has been discussed please let me know :)

I am 5 days post c-section and my right ankle/foot has been swollen now for a couple of days. I called my nurse hotline and since it isn't warm or painful I was told not to worry about it being a DVT. Apparently, swelling in one or both extremities is normal postpartum regardless if it was vaginal or cesarian.
My question is how long did it take for the swelling to go down and did anything you do help?

Re: STM's Swelling After C-section? (Or postpartum in general)

• Options
    I had a csection with DS. I remember that I swelled so bad after we got home. Lasted a couple of weeks before my feet and ankles were back to normal. I think I remember some telling it was from all the iv fluids you get when you are in the hospital.
  • Options
    Yes- me too. My legs looked like tree trunks. Just try to keep them up. It goes away & I agree with pp - I think it's all the fluids they give you in the hosp
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Im also 5 days post csection and have swelling in my ankles i was given compression stockings which ive just taken on, My midwife said it is caused by the fluid iv. Congratulations on your lo hope your not to sore!
  • Options
    I had LO in July. It took several weeks for my swelling to go down. It felt like forever! Be sure to keep your feet up and try to take it easy. Congrats on your LO!
  • Options
    It varies how long it will take the swelling to go down, might be a week or maybe 3-4 weeks! Just keep your feet elevated whenever you are sitting down and alert your doctor immediately if you notice any warmth, redness, or pain to the site. Cut down on salt and drink a ton of water. (My nurse advice.)

My friend recently gave birth and her entire body was swollen after. The trauma can do a lot to your body.
  • Options
    Love nurse advice! I second drink lots of water. It will help for sure even though it feels counter intuitive.
  • Options
    Sorry no experience here although my first was a c-sec, I didn't have any swelling. I agree with the PPs though. Maybe find a pair of compression stockings to wear and keep an eye on your ankles & feet. If they don't look or feel right, you should def be seen just in case.
  • Options
    I'm glad I asked for the IV to be removed as soon as my pain pump was gone and only got one bag of fluid. This swelling is poopy. I'm sure it doesn't help that I've been on my feet since 15 hours post c-section (they wouldn't let me walk any sooner), I just get so sore when I'm stationary for too long :/
  • Options
    Holy swollen feet!! I'm 1-week post c-section and my ankles and legs from the knee down are MASSIVE and painful because they're so swollen. Any tips other than fluids and keeping them up? Hoping this starts to get better soon.
  • Options
    Just elevate when you can and take it easy. My swelling seemed like it disappeared overnight, it was crazy to see my ankles again. Lol. If the swelling occurs in your upper extremities or face, if you have shortness of breath or pain when breathing contact your dr because those are signs of something more serious. Otherwise unfortunately you just ride it out :|
  • Options
    arz1215arz1215 member
    edited December 2015
    I'm clearly not wearing heels around after giving birth but this is how I think my feet look :|

Kim K feet! Anyways, I feel everyone's pain about this.. I don't have shoes that fit well right now. The struggle!

*forgot words