December 2015 Moms

Scoliosis and epidural

Does anyone with scoliosis got the epidural?. Im planning on deliver with an epidural. During my hospital tour i talked to the nurse she said to bring my latest xrays just in case. She said sometimes when you have scoliosis you might feel the anesthesia more in one side than the other. I would like to hear your experiences.

Re: Scoliosis and epidural

• There was a post about this a couple of weeks ago so try to search for it for more answers. I have scoliosis (lower back) and had an epidural with my first labor and things were fine. Just make sure you mention it to the anesthesiologist.
  • I just had my son on the 24th. I got the epidural and have scoliosis. It went well! I didn't have to bring an X-ray.
  • Loading the player...
  • I have that as well. I have had three epis. One with each child.
    In one of those cases did it only numb one side.
    Honestly, it wasn't too bad just on one side!
    Don't fret :)
    If my labor hadn't progressed so quickly the doc would've been able to adjust the medication properly.
  • I have scoliosis. I had a epidural with both LOs with no problem. I also didn't have to bring in a xray
  • I was sent for a consult because of this.  I was told to remind them of the issue before (as in don't wait last minute for epi) hand as they will need more time!
  • Thanks everyone reading your comments made me feel better. Hopefully i dont have any issues.
  • I think it also depends on the severity of your scoliosis. Mine has resulted in compressed and bulging disks in my lower back, right where the epidural would be inserted. So I won't be able to have one. I'm planning for an unmedicated birth anyway, so that works out okay for us. If I do end up needing an emergency cesarean, things get a little tricky because they aren't comfortable attempting an epidural with my disks already compromised. If the head of anesthesiology isn't on hand, I would have to go under general. Even if he is around, I would likely get general instead.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker