January 2016 Moms
Options

Help! Stomach virus!

My daughter, who is three and a half, had a bad stomach virus in which she spent all of Saturday having diarrhea. I was fine until yesterday when I started not feeling great then by 9:00 couldn't even stand. I called labor and delivery bc they felt exactly like contractions. Then around 10:30 I ended up having horrible diarrhea several times. The sharp pains slowed down. Then wham! I woke up about 20 minutes ago with even worse pain and more diarrhea. An terrible nausea. I've had a few more bouts of diarrhea and feel nauseous I don't want to get off the toilet or even leave the bathroom. I tried drinking water earlier but now I think I'm getting dehydrated. At each point should I seek medical attention for dehydration and this bad of diarrhea while pregnant?

Re: Help! Stomach virus!

• Options
    Wait it out a little longer, especially if you're able to keep fluids in orally then there's no need to go to the hospital. Send your dh for gatorage, pedialyte, vitamin water...and try that first. The only time it can be bad in pregnancy is if you start contracting regularly, then you should go in for IV hydration as to have your contractions monitored. I hope you feel better soon. Not an ideal way to spend thanksgiving:(
  • Options
    Now I've gotten sick to my stomach a few times. I just want to crawl into a hole now! I've spent the last 20 minutes in my kids' bathtub trying to relax. Definitely not ideal thanksgiving feelings!!! Thank you for your advice!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Poor thing:( If you start contracting again I'd probably go in, just to be safe!
  • Options
    Thanks again!!! I'm trying to not be a total baby about being sick, but being this sick at 31 weeks makes me nervous
  • Options
    I feel your pain...literally. my son was up puking Sunday night and I guess I caught it. I got nauseous about 8 last night and by 11 I was in the bathroom puking most of the night.

I am feeling a bit better now and plan to drink lots is water and Gatorade and see if that stays down. Like PP said, if you are able to keep liquids down you should be OK, if not head to L&D!
  • Options
    Feel better! Any signs of dehydration (back ache, cramps, headache, light headed) go to L&D for fluids and monitoring. I was there a few weeks ago for the same thing and when I called my ob those are the signs she told me to look for.
  • Options
    Oh no, that is the worst! I know exactly how you feel too, unfortunately. I was sick when pg with DD, coming out both ends for an entire night, and then labor started the next day. Fortunately I was about 37 wks by that point. But it was so missrable. I hope you feel better soon!

• Options
    Last week I had food poisoning but went to L&D because I couldn't keep down water. As long as you can drink fluids and don't have contractions you'll be fine, it'll pass. They gave me two bags of fluid and zofran to stop the vomiting, when the contractions stopped they sent me home. I still had the runs for hours after but I was fine. 
  • Options
    I had a stomach bug last week and kept drinking but kept vomiting- no fun! Even though I felt like I was getting dehydrated I also was still peeing so clearly some water was getting through. It was a 24 hour thing. I had the same question as you but figured if I stopped peeing or wasn't keeping anything down for more than 24 hours I would call my OB and see what they think. I had the same at the end of my last pregnancy and it was ok- I did have some contractions but they were just Braxton hicks
  • Options
    Ugh this happened to me last week...I had diarrhea every two hours for three days. When I called the doctor on day two she said to stay hydrated and take Imodium to stop it, and to call again if I had any contractions. It ended up being ok after the Imodium.