March 2016 Moms

Extra Amniotic Fluid

Hi ladies!
I had an ultrasound today at 25 weeks and we found out that I have extra amniotic fluid. The radiologist I had an ultrasound today at 25 weeks and we found out that I have extra amniotic fluid. The radiologist said that based on the measurements of the facial features he cannot give us an all clear for genetic abnormalities. However, the measurements do not for sure indicate anything either. He said they are all in between. The only other marker that was concerning was that the baby has sandal toe. Ironically, when the sonographer stepped out to get the radiologist I had pointed out the feet to my husband and said that they looked like his, so I am hoping this is a family trait. Also, the baby is measuring large, but that could either be genetic based on my husband being huge at birth or it could indicate a problem.

I had a blood draw to test for trisomy and other abnormalities. Also, I did my 1 hour glucose test today, since gestational diabetes can cause extra fluid. I am so scared and confused. When i did some online research all kinds of scary things came up. I just want the baby to be okay. I was just wondering, has anyone else been through this? What was the cause of the excess fluid?

Re: Extra Amniotic Fluid

• I am just here with love and support and prayers, mama. I hope your test results come back all good to ease your mind some. <3

March 2016 siggy: babies - expectation vs reality

Brian's Whovian wife (5/'09) 
    AP, BF, BW, CD, CLW, CS, ERF, Catholic mama 
    to Evan (7/'10), Clare (8/'11), Dean (3/'14), ^F(12/'15)^, Rose (3/'16)
    *no longer a Timelord ~ WibblyWobbly BabyWaby is here!*
    <3 but i still feel bigger on the inside <3
     Autism mama! 
  • Thanks @oceanchild. It just really caught me off guard. I had finally started to relax a bit and then this happened.
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't have experience with this, but we had an issue with our first AS. We were scared and worried. I understand exactly how you feel and I'm here for you! T&P for you and your LO. They'll be perfect no matter what.
  • I can't offer any help but I asked my question on the high risk board and a few ladies who went through similar experiences responded pretty quickly.
    Best of luck!
  • Thoughts and prayers to you! It doesn't sound like the doctor is freaking out so I would try your best to relax. I know it's easier said than done, I too had issues at my earlier ultrasounds. You're in my thoughts and I hope that you get wonderful results back!!! :)

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • A teacher friend had lots of extra amniotic fluid. Her baby is healthy and free of abnormalities. She was considered high risk due to it though and she looked like she was carrying triplets due to the extra fluid. She was told if she went into labor early or if her water broke, she was to lay down immediately and call 911... So it was a scary situation and she was kept closely under watch. Thankfully she made it to her induction date so they were able to deliver him safely. Her second pregnancy was "normal" and this did not occur. She was so surprised at how "tiny" she was the second time.
  • @tJaffe That's good to hear. Thanks for the encouraging story.
  • I had extra fluid and the baby was measuring large when I went for my first US at 21 weeks! They ran the tests (not sure what they were called but they help determine downs)  We went Monday (almost 25 weeks and they did another US to measure, check fluid and tell us about the results...the results came back inconclusive (we opted to not test again because it is still our son no matter what), the fluid levels went down (thankfully) and they decided that I was just farther along than what we had originally thought!!

I wasn't sure how to take the news at first because inconclusive is as bad as not taking it...the fact that they just moved my due date without concern didn't help but they said as long as the levels stayed down we should be ok!!

Not sure if my experience helps but there is still hope the fluid will go down!!