April 2016 Moms

Re: Recommendation to ban crib bumpers

• I highly recommend the mesh ones. I'm so sad to have had to take DD's down (she tries to use it as a step to climb out) since she gets a leg stuck at least once a week.
    DD doesn't use pacifiers (thumb sucker) but it was a life saver for SIL to keep them in the crib for our niece who would wake up screaming for them in the night.
    Anniversary 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Ok so I shouldn't put that thing in the crib.... Thank you! Maybe it is safe when the kid gets older? I just had to look up what they are even supposed to be for because I had no clue.

• Ok so I shouldn't put that thing in the crib.... Thank you! Maybe it is safe when the kid gets older? I just had to look up what they are even supposed to be for because I had no clue.
    They are supposed to give a cushion so your baby doesn't hurt him/herself if he/she bangs head or body part against the crib's railings. BUT, the concern is that for really small babies that don't have much strength to move or relocate themselves, if they find themselves with their face wedged into the bumper, they would not be able to breathe. This has lead to 48 infant deaths, unfortunately.
  • thaisac1 said:

Ok so I shouldn't put that thing in the crib.... Thank you! Maybe it is safe when the kid gets older? I just had to look up what they are even supposed to be for because I had no clue.
    They are supposed to give a cushion so your baby doesn't hurt him/herself if he/she bangs head or body part against the crib's railings. BUT, the concern is that for really small babies that don't have much strength to move or relocate themselves, if they find themselves with their face wedged into the bumper, they would not be able to breathe. This has lead to 48 infant deaths, unfortunately.
    This and then when the kid gets older, they can use the bumper as a way to leverage/ step to get out of the crib.
  • We honestly never needed a crib bumper, mesh or otherwise. Maybe twice ever my son woke up crying because his arm or leg was through the slats, but it was never an issue for us. It blows my mind that people (who KNOW this) still continue to use crib bumpers just for the look. Ugh. Thanks for posting!
    Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • They should ban them. Now I'm mad I even have one because it came with a bedding set I bought. It could have been cheaper without that in there, and I may have unknowingly used it even though they are a hazard.
  • They should ban them. Now I'm mad I even have one because it came with a bedding set I bought. It could have been cheaper without that in there, and I may have unknowingly used it even though they are a hazard.
    I know, I hate that! This is why I only bought cute fitted crib sheets and a crib skirt. You can't use blankets either, so although those bedding sets are super cute before baby arrives, you really can't use most of it.
    Amanda

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
    I know, I hate that! This is why I only bought cute fitted crib sheets and a crib skirt. You can't use blankets either, so although those bedding sets are super cute before baby arrives, you really can't use most of it.
    Ditto!  Andplusalso ... Sleep Sacks FTW!
    You can use the blankets and bumpers after you convert the crib to a toddler bed. I actually think DD needs the bumpers more now as a flailing toddler than she did when she was a baby. I did use the mesh bumper though when she was about 6 months and I highly recommend it. Her legs were constantly getting caught in the slats.
  • DougalMcG said:
    They should ban them. Now I'm mad I even have one because it came with a bedding set I bought. It could have been cheaper without that in there, and I may have unknowingly used it even though they are a hazard.
    You can use the blankets and bumpers after you convert the crib to a toddler bed. I actually think DD needs the bumpers more now as a flailing toddler than she did when she was a baby. I did use the mesh bumper though when she was about 6 months and I highly recommend it. Her legs were constantly getting caught in the slats.
    Definitely depends on your child :) My kiddo got an arm stuck once and a leg stuck once. He woke up screaming and it sucked, but it was only ever those two times, so we really didn't need the mesh bumpers. If he did it all the time, would have used them!
    You can use bumpers on a toddler bed? How does that work?
    Amanda

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • We never used them with my son as well. We're still using sleep sacks at 21 months. I don't need to worry about his blanket falling off since he's wearing it! :)

I hate when ppl defend bumpers by saying they used them and their kids are fine. Ugh!
  • akb1125 said:
    We never used them with my son as well. We're still using sleep sacks at 21 months. I don't need to worry about his blanket falling off since he's wearing it! :) I hate when ppl defend bumpers by saying they used them and their kids are fine. Ugh!
    Dumbest reasoning ever. Yes, parents used to put kids to sleep on their stomachs and use crib bumpers. However, the rate of SIDS has also dropped 50% since 1994. Soo.... heartbreaking to say, but not every child was "fine". It's just one of those things that I don't think it's worth taking the risk over.
    Amanda

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • AmadorRoseAmadorRose member
    edited December 2015

akb1125 said:

We never used them with my son as well. We're still using sleep sacks at 21 months. I don't need to worry about his blanket falling off since he's wearing it! :)

I hate when ppl defend bumpers by saying they used them and their kids are fine. Ugh!

Dumbest reasoning ever. Yes, parents used to put kids to sleep on their stomachs and use crib bumpers. However, the rate of SIDS has also dropped 50% since 1994. Soo.... heartbreaking to say, but not every child was "fine". It's just one of those things that I don't think it's worth taking the risk over.

----QBF----
    My grandma lived to be 97 and never wore a seat belt...so you probably just shouldn't vaccinate your kids or let them wear cotton underwear.

(That's how the anecdotal evidence thing works, right?)

Edit for QBF
  • Anecdotal examples DRIVE. ME. NUTS.

I was anti-bumper of any kind, but we eventually put a mesh bumper in because DS was such an aggressive roller that he was waking himself up banging various body parts on the crib. The mesh gave just enough cushion to allow him to stay asleep.

@pinottoparenthood We just wrapped the mesh bumper back around his convertible-crib-to-toddler-bed and left the opening with no mesh. The Velcro stuck.
  • There was a time when bumpers were used to keep babies from getting their heads stuck between the slats on cribs. Since the 1970s, though, regulations have mandated small enough space between slats that this is no longer an issue and potential injuries from bumping heads or getting arms and legs stuck are so minor that there is no justification for taking the risk with conventional bumpers.

This topic really bugs me. Every single crib on display at BRU uses padded bumpers, and they are included in most of the bedding sets. I just don't get it.
  • I just looked at it as god forbid something ever happened with my son and I wasn't following one of their suggestions on ways to reduce SIDS . I don't think I could ever forgive myself or get over the "what if."