April 2016 Moms
Options

Can we do a FFWC & UO early this week? 11/25-11/27

rebelonerebelone member
edited November 2015 in April 2016 Moms
I was thinking since the U.S. will be having a holiday tomorrow, there's cooking and traveling to be had and many may not be around too much over the weekend. What do you think about making this thread a combination of Unpopular Opinion and FFFC?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

It's a boy! Grow baby, grow! EDD: 4/22/2016

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: Can we do a FFWC & UO early this week? 11/25-11/27

• Options
    No takers?

• Options
    I always have something to bitch about... I'll post later when the mood strikes me.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I got a UO: I like our debate threads. I like seeing everyone's opinions and perspectives. The reads are interesting.

FFWC: I got nothing to do at work today so I'm doing just that all day long. 

• Options
    Wait what is FFWC/FFFC?
  • Options
    FFWC - Flame Free Wednesday Confession. Normally we do FFFC (Flame Free Friday Confession) but I proposed to do it today given that we're going into a holiday weekend in the US so there may not be that many around.

• Options
    Hmm my UO is that I'm weirded out eating food that other people cook. (Other than my mom, she gets a pass) idk why! It seems to gross me out more during this pregnancy.
  • Options

UO: olives and mushrooms are not real food. They are poison.

Another one: why do couples who go out to eat sit on the same side of the table together when it's just the two of them!? I think it's so weird. I want to talk to your face, not your shoulder.

You don't like olives? OR mushrooms? We can't be friends anymore...
  • Options

Another one: why do couples who go out to eat sit on the same side of the table together when it's just the two of them!? I think it's so weird. I want to talk to your face, not your shoulder.

Yessssss! The server has to think the same thing lol. I know I would.
  • Options
    UO: I don't like wine

I'm still confused about FFWC
  • Options

Ditto on olives and mushrooms! Yuck!

Also ditto on the same side thing. I like my space haha

• Options
    UO: I'm not telling my mom the sex, but I'll tell anyone else who asks. She told me that births aren't exciting when the parents already know the sex, so I'll let her save her excitement. I need time to prepare mentally!

FFWC: I'm going to post again on Friday, probably, because DH works all morning and I don't do Black Friday shopping. Flame on!
  • Options
    **Warning: this FFWC contains profanity and sexual situations.**

So, I can't really tell anyone this story by my girlfriends who I only see once a month, so you get to hear it.

I used to have a side job in the production and business side of the music industry. Due to some poor planning, I had to share a hotel room with some members of a band one weekend, and I ended up sharing a bed with this musician - let's call him Ivan. 

Nothing sexual happened, but for months afterwards, Ivan would remind me about the time "we slept together." As one of the only females in a totally male dominated, drink and party culture, I got hit on a lot. Ivan was easy to ignore along with everyone else. Wayward flirting aside, he was a nice guy. 

Until, one night Ivan approached me while I was getting off a phone call that I had to take outside because the club was loud. He was clearly drunk. 

He said, and I'm exact quoting here, "I will eat the f*ck out of that p*ssy,"

"No thank you," I was trying to be cool, but I was totally shocked. This was well beyond the normal little flirts that I usually got. Plus, we were totally coworkers, even though it was a relaxed culture. Next time I saw him, he was sober and very sorry. 

I hadn't seen him in years until last week, when he was hired at my school. We said hello and hugged each other, but I think he had the "p*ssy eating" look on his face. It's exciting to have someone I know working with me, but I don't know how close I can get to him because of this weirdness. Also, I can't tell DH. He wouldn't think it was a funny story and he would not want me spending any time, work or otherwise, with Ivan. 
      BabyFruit Ticker      image 
  • Options
    AliSummer said:

**Warning: this FFWC contains profanity and sexual situations.**

So, I can't really tell anyone this story by my girlfriends who I only see once a month, so you get to hear it.

I used to have a side job in the production and business side of the music industry. Due to some poor planning, I had to share a hotel room with some members of a band one weekend, and I ended up sharing a bed with this musician - let's call him Ivan. 

Nothing sexual happened, but for months afterwards, Ivan would remind me about the time "we slept together." As one of the only females in a totally male dominated, drink and party culture, I got hit on a lot. Ivan was easy to ignore along with everyone else. Wayward flirting aside, he was a nice guy. 

Until, one night Ivan approached me while I was getting off a phone call that I had to take outside because the club was loud. He was clearly drunk. 

He said, and I'm exact quoting here, "I will eat the f*ck out of that p*ssy,"

"No thank you," I was trying to be cool, but I was totally shocked. This was well beyond the normal little flirts that I usually got. Plus, we were totally coworkers, even though it was a relaxed culture. Next time I saw him, he was sober and very sorry. 

I hadn't seen him in years until last week, when he was hired at my school. We said hello and hugged each other, but I think he had the "p*ssy eating" look on his face. It's exciting to have someone I know working with me, but I don't know how close I can get to him because of this weirdness. Also, I can't tell DH. He wouldn't think it was a funny story and he would not want me spending any time, work or otherwise, with Ivan. 
    That is really, really awkward. But why hide it from your husband? You didn't sleep with him and from the way I read the story it happened before you and your husband were together, otherwise I would think you would've already told him.
  • Options
    @AliSummer I don't think you should hide it from your DH either. I got in awkward situations like these before while working in music festivals and DH would just laugh it off because he knows I wouldn't do anything behind his back. I would just try to avoid him. Be nice and say hello if you pass by him but nothing further I would say.

• Options
    AliSummerAliSummer member
    edited November 2015

That is really, really awkward. But why hide it from your husband? You didn't sleep with him and from the way I read the story it happened before you and your husband were together, otherwise I would think you would've already told him.
    Yeah, I was single at the time. I don't know, I didn't really think about it as hiding it from DH, but I guess you're right. I'm just worried about him overreacting. DH would never say anything like that to a woman, so it's hard for him to imagine a situation where it might be a drunk mistake. DH is the type to get upset that I have to work near someone who said that to me, where for me, it's more a question of if I should be work friends with Ivan. 

- edited to get rid of long quote
      BabyFruit Ticker      image 
  • Options
    AliSummer said:

AliSummer said:

Yeah, I was single at the time. I don't know, I didn't really think about it as hiding it from DH, but I guess you're right. I'm just worried about him overreacting. DH would never say anything like that to a woman, so it's hard for him to imagine a situation where it might be a drunk mistake. DH is the type to get upset that I have to work near someone who said that to me, where for me, it's more a question of if I should be work friends with Ivan. 

I totally get where you're coming from and DH had huge jealousy issues when we first started hanging out, and the only reason we worked through it was because I was painfully honest with him, even when I knew the truth would upset him. Now, we have total trust because we know we will both be honest.
  • Options
    @AmadorRose I totally agree with you. Truth hurts sometimes and we've both had to be brutally honest with each other about everything but that only made us trust each other more. It was before you met your DH so he shouldn't get upset, and now you're just in a very awkward situation. I personally wouldn't become friends with him, but only keep things professional.

• Options
    @AmadorRose I've found the jealousy trate is rather strong in Hispanic men. I can't deal with it. My man and I almost broke up several times the first year because I'm still friends with some of my exes. We're obviously cool now lol.
    Oh and he's not Hispanic, but severely Italian lol.
  • Options

@AmadorRose I've found the jealousy trate is rather strong in Hispanic men. I can't deal with it. My man and I almost broke up several times the first year because I'm still friends with some of my exes. We're obviously cool now lol.
    Oh and he's not Hispanic, but severely Italian lol.

It was more the fact that the only woman that's ever come into his life who hasn't lied to him was his mother. I'm also a stubborn asshole, so my attitude was that I'd do what I wanted and deal with the consequences as they came. I also don't do jealousy; DH can either trust me or not, and he's going to lose more sleep over it than I am. He also has a tendency to date psychos, so his trust issues were pretty founded. Fortunately, I'm less neurotic than the last ex who made him go grey and I'm happy letting him play fallout all he wants since he always finishes the chores I give him before he starts. It took a while, but it was totally worth it.
  • Options
    AliSummer said:

Personally I wouldn't tell my husband. I see no point. What good could come of it? No wrongdoing occurred.
  • Options
    I'm willing to bet everyone will have confessions and unpopular opinions and general hatred to let go of by tomorrow night. ;)
  • Options
    As the rest of the family sits down to watch Christmas Vacation, I'll share my UO. I don't like any of the griswold family movies. I just don't think they are very funny.
  • Options
    UO I really hate Thanksgiving...

FFWC: I just made stuffing, and I'm not sure it's going to last until dinner tomorrow night... Omg I can't even with how good it is!

Also, bonus Throat Punch to my fiancé who approved the dinner we're having tomorrow, over a month ago, and has been asked multiple times if it's good, to find out today he doesn't even like cranberry sauce, and would rather we have mashed potatoes. It's a little flipping late for that!!!
  • Options
    UO: I'm with you ladies... Mushrooms are yuck! I'll eat your share of the olives though!

Another UO... I don't like apple pie... Apple crisp is different and I like their fruit pies... But not Apple! Bleh!

Annnnddddd I totally had a confession when I was explaining to my mom how our boards work... But I have since forgotten... Ooohhhh pregnancy brain!
  • Options

UO: I'm with you ladies... Mushrooms are yuck! I'll eat your share of the olives though!

Another UO... I don't like apple pie... Apple crisp is different and I like their fruit pies... But not Apple! Bleh!

Annnnddddd I totally had a confession when I was explaining to my mom how our boards work... But I have since forgotten... Ooohhhh pregnancy brain!

Ooh trades! I love mushrooms but hate olives :)
    Anniversary 
  • Options

UO: I don't understand the point in tongue rings.

I loved mine when I was 20...but I used plastic so it didn't ruin my teeth. It was fun to play with when I was drunk.
  • Options

I loved mine when I was 20...but I used plastic so it didn't ruin my teeth. It was fun to play with when I was drunk.
    Is that all you had it for was to play with it in your mouth? Haha
  • Options

Well, I hated the guy I was with so I was drunk pretty much all the time. I got my mone's worth of enjoyment out of it ;)
  • Options

Well, I hated the guy I was with so I was drunk pretty much all the time. I got my mone's worth of enjoyment out of it ;)
    Also, I loved kissing with mine. It was annoying giving head though, and I'd usually take it out. (Ironic, I know)
  • Options
    I love mushrooms and olives!

Ok mine's not really a FFW/FC or a UO it's more of a bitchfest after last night and it's long, sorry!! We always go to my in laws' for thanksgiving dinner and my parents join as well which is all fine and dandy. In our family the holidays are just an excuse to start drinking at noon and eat until we explode. Obviously I was pumped for the eating part but not the watching everyone get shitfaced part!! By the time we sat down to eat everyone was pretty drunk and just kept going off about how DH and I will never be the same after the baby and we should get ready because it's going to suck so much and blah blah blah (great, so excited now, thanks for the "advice"?). Then they kept pestering us about names and our top choices and we kept avoiding the question to no avail. This led the whole family to go through the entire alphabet rattling off names and criticizing everything. This lasted all through dinner and dessert... A good hour and a half. I now understand why people don't share names until after the baby is born.

So by this point I was pretty overwhelmed and tired... and then they break out the games. I had already told DH I didn't want to play games bc his family is SO competitive and aggressive when it comes to games; it gets really uncomfortable sometimes. They start playing that heads up game you can buy on your phone from Ellen Degenerous (kind of like charades). Usually a fun game but when you have 10 drunk people screaming at you and you're tired and sober, not so much. It came to my turn to guess and I was like "oh no I'm just watching" and MY HUSBAND was like no come on you have to everyone has to play and started pressuring me in front of everyone to play when he knew I didn't want to. So I sucked it up and played and I sucked at it bc I couldn't decipher the drunken shouting happening. I was so red from being pissed at my husband which made me embarrassed and I almost started crying (thanks a lot hormones). I was SO mad at him for doing that. It sounds kind of petty getting upset over a game but it was the underlying issue that he should have supported me and respected that I didn't want to play. He knew how I felt about this going into it and he still pressured me in front of his entire family and made me so uncomfortable. I'm still so mad at him.

All in all a very annoying evening. I know it would be nice to have the help of family living close by after the baby is born, but right now I'm pretty thankful that they're usually over three hours away. Though I'll admit reading this back it sounds kind of dumb now typing it all out. Oh well, I was pissed so here it is!

• Options
    @spatter1 I also understand why people wait till the baby is born to announce the name. Only a few people in our family though have just looked at us like we were dumb for picking it. His name is Liam and DH's granny goes "limb?! Why are you naming him limb? Where'd you even come up with that?" It's Liam. Ugh! I even sounded it out and she still says limb.
  • Options
    @BreannaaaMarieee Ew. See, that's exactly why I'm thinking now we aren't going to tell anyone. FWIW, I love the name Liam! We are between Molly and Ella, but I don't think we're going to tell anyone now bc I'm so grumpy about last night. I feel like we could pick the simplest name and they'd have something to say about it.

• Options
    @spatter1 I think you're completely justified in being upset. Fortunately, my family isn't obnoxious or mean when they drink - usually it's only my dad who gets tipsy and then he just gets emotional. I would have told my husband that I was leaving with or without him if he started acting like that.

FWIW, I think both Molly and Ella are beautiful names. Someone is always going to find something to say, but they had no part in making the kid so they get no say. *flips bird and walks away*

My FFFC: We're naming out little girl Elena Jane because DH loves Ellie and I don't hate it - but I LOVE Elena. His mom's name is Juanita but everyone calls her Janie, and she is by far the most important woman in his life (a fact I'm totally ok with - their relationship is amazing and I'm a little jealous). DH decided to tell everyone her name about 10 minutes after we found out she is a she (even though we discussed keeping it quiet) and after I explained to MIL that she is her abuela's namesake, MIL has decided that she will be called little Janie. My confession here is that I'm totally ok with it because we rarely see them - I still haven't met SFIL or 2 of his 3 siblings, plus she will be referred to as mija more often than anything, so it won't stick anyway. Let her have her kicks, she's a sweetheart.
  • Options
    @spatter1 I used to get complained to all the time for not playing games with my fiancé's nephew for family functions. I pretty much told him we don't indulge children's every single whim like that in my family, and he didn't get it until we went to a family function at my parents. The kids entertain themselves, and when we do play a game with them, it's by the actual rules, not the ones they come up with. He was kind of blown away. Also, at the time my nephews were 2 and 4, his was 8.

I asked him later if he enjoyed himself and he confessed he doesn't like playing games with his nephew, but that was a lot of fun. I went into how if you're playing for everyone's enjoyment, everyone enjoys it, but if you're playing for one person's enjoyment, only one person enjoys it, with the added benefit of if it's a child everyone feels compelled to pretend they enjoy it. It's taken a few years now, but I will play games with his nephew, if he doesn't interrupt what everyone else is doing (like one year we were in the middle of a game, and he wanted to play something else, so it was dropped all together, I was pretty pissed...) if he asks me to play, vs telling me I have to, and if he plays by the games actual rules.

Sorry. Guess that was a rant of my own... We went to my parent's house last night for the sole purpose of playing Nertz with my sisters, brother, and parents. He didn't want to go, or play, but once we get into it he loves it.
  • Options
    Ah the name annoyingness! I had told my sister we liked Harry and not to tell anyone and she had told everyone at Thanksgiving and then they all were like saying it had to be Harold or Harrison and whatever and then I said I wasn't even sure about Harry and the usual listing of suggestions by everyone commenced. And they actually acted offended and indignant about why I wanted to keep it a secret: because of all those annoying reasons they demonstrated!
  • Options
    @RoseShadow873 I had a friend who had a baby last spring and she refused to tell anyone the name they picked. At the time I thought it was so freaking weird of her, but now I totally get it!!!!