Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Nursery Temperature

sarahbeara25sarahbeara25 member
edited November 2015 in Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Hi all, 
No baby yet (lurking from J16) but I was wondering what temperature the nursery should be. Unfortunately for some odd reason the nursery is the coolest room in the apartment (which will be AWESOME for summer time). I put a thermometer in to check how chilly it got overnight and it came out to 17 C (63 F). We normally keep the apartment around 20-23 C (68-73 F). I know that we don't want to overheat baby at all but I'm concerned about baby being too chilly. I will be meeting with my OB today and it's one of my questions but I was wondering about real mom experience as well. Thanks all :D

Edit because spelling is hard

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Nursery Temperature

• Options
    For some reason I'm a complete obsessive freak about the temp and tend to stress over it a lot, especially when my kids were little. I usually keep the temp in my kids rooms around 68-70 degrees. Use your best judgment but don't obsess like me :)
  • Options
    I'm in NZ and the temperature advice we're given is, "The room the baby sleeps in should be well ventilated and at a temperature comfortable for a lightly clothed adult.   Research indicates that the temperature for a babies' room is between 16-20C, with the ideal room temperature being 18C."

So 17C is great although I know when it gets to that temp in my baby's room I feel like it's a bit chilly, and prefer it to sit around 19C.
    Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks guys :D I'm feeling better about the temp of the room. Really don't like the idea of putting a space heater in a nursery and we'd boil ourselves out if we increased the temp any more than it normally is

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    That's too cold IMO.
  • Options
    I also think that is a little too cold. I read that 66-70 is a good range. We usually do 67 or 68 at night and 70 during the day.
  • Options

I'm in NZ and the temperature advice we're given is, "The room the baby sleeps in should be well ventilated and at a temperature comfortable for a lightly clothed adult.   Research indicates that the temperature for a babies' room is between 16-20C, with the ideal room temperature being 18C."

So 17C is great although I know when it gets to that temp in my baby's room I feel like it's a bit chilly, and prefer it to sit around 19C.
    I'm in the UK and we are given the exact same advice. It is difficult to maintain 18C though, I tend to find our room is usually nearer 20C even though it's winter here and we only have the heating on for a few hours a day.