Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Rock and play

How old is too old to use one of these for naps? My LO is 4 months, and will be going to grandma's house while I'm at work. My mom needs something for her to sleep in for naps (she takes about 2 to 3 one hour naps every day). My mom has balance issues due to knee replacements so a pack n play will be very difficult for her to lay her in. I was thinking she could use a rock n play? I just don't want to spend the money on one if she's too old for it!

Re: Rock and play

• I'd check the weight limit first. Maybe find a used one? I wouldn't want to pay full price for something LO can only use for another month or two. My LO still fits in his and he's 6 months but we don't really use it anymore.
  • My LO is almost 4 months and is getting a little too long for the R&P. Sometimes I find him with his head all scrunched up in it so we may need to stop using it soon.
  • Loading the player...
  • We had to stop using it at 4 months old because DD was too long and could roll herself over and sit up in it. I would try to find something else.
  • Thanks all. I was afraid of that. Most of them have a weight limit of 25 lbs but I was more worried about length (she's already 26 inches long)
  • My pack and play has a raised thingy that makes the bed part higher- is she too heavy for that? And my boys are 24'' long and they are borderline too long for their RNP's. Which is sad bc we love them!!
  • EmJ628 said:

My pack and play has a raised thingy that makes the bed part higher- is she too heavy for that? And my boys are 24'' long and they are borderline too long for their RNP's. Which is sad bc we love them!!

Yes, the upper part of most pack n plays only go to 15lbs. She's 16 lbs 6 oz, 26 inches long (big girl :) )
  • Its more of a weight/length thing than age. My friend's son is only 22lbs, but he's a year old and still naps in his. But i think 25lbs is really the max. That being said, the resale shops have tons of them, so you wont' be wasting as much money if you buy one from there. You can wash all the fabric parts. i think the weight limit is also based on whether or not you want it to rock. It doesn't have a serious rocking range of motion, so i imagine it will be tough to rock with a heavier baby. I doubt it would collapse under the weight of a 26lb baby.
  • Bickey11 said:
    Its more of a weight/length thing than age. My friend's son is only 22lbs, but he's a year old and still naps in his. But i think 25lbs is really the max. That being said, the resale shops have tons of them, so you wont' be wasting as much money if you buy one from there. You can wash all the fabric parts. i think the weight limit is also based on whether or not you want it to rock. It doesn't have a serious rocking range of motion, so i imagine it will be tough to rock with a heavier baby. I doubt it would collapse under the weight of a 26lb baby.

You know of a ONE YEAR OLD that still naps in a RnP?!!! What?!
  • Yes I do, to each their own. He's a happy healthy kid, who am I to judge.
  • Bickey11 said:
    Yes I do, to each their own. He's a happy healthy kid, who am I to judge.

Well, then I'm a bitch because that kid is way too old for a RnP. A one year old? Dang. Sure it's easy to say "to each their own" and people will do what they want but that is nuts. IMO of course.
  • my LO naps in the RNP in the living room sometimes but sleeps in a pack n play next to my bed at night. When he was real young he hated the RNP which was so strange but now he likes it. I'm glad he didn't get reliant on sleeping at such an incline.

My cousin let her daughter sleep in a RNP until she was over a year old. She knew it was bad but her daughter loved it. She barely fit lol

my SIL's daughter was in the RNP when she was like 8 months and wiggled around and somehow tipped it over and fell out. That was the end of it for her.

• I decided against it. She's way too advanced with sitting up etc for it. My mom ends up holding her most of the time anyhow lol. We used to have her in the pnp at our house hit she started waking up all the time. I think because it's so hard. So now she sleeps in her crib or with us lol