March 2016 Moms
Options

Breastfeeding after breast reduction

I had a reduction July of 2013. Has anyone else had one? Were you able to breastfeed? I have had sensation in my nipples since the day after surgery and lately I have noticed some dried colostrum on my nipples at times, so I am hoping these are good signs. Just curious if anyone can give me any info based on their experience.

Re: Breastfeeding after breast reduction

• Options
    I think it depends on the reduction.  I looked into getting mine done but because it would be more extensive and they would have to move the nipple they told me to wait until kids before I did it.  Honestly I think I would take the colostrum as a good sign, I think you will only know in the end whether you can or not.
    BFP 2/11/15 (EDD 10/13/15). MMC 3/30/15 D&C 4/3/15 "We will always love you"
    DD1 - BFP 7/23/15 (EDD 3/31/16).  "We believe in you rainbow" DOB 4/2/16
    DD2 - BFP 2/9/18 (EDD 10/19/18).  "Grow baby grow!" DOB 10/24/18
    BFP 11/16/20 (EDD 7/31/21).  "Round 3 FIGHT!"
  • Options
    Like bntfroggie said it would depend on the reduction. I haven't had one but I did get implants almost 9 years ago. They went in under my arms but I know they told me if they did have to go in through my nipples it could cause damage to my milk ducts. I had colostrum with DS but my milk never fully came in. I gave up breastfeeding at 14 days post c-section. I am not sure if it had anything to do with my implants or not honestly. I did see an LC but there just really wasn't anyway to know.  Sounds like the colostrum and the sensation in your nipples are a good sign!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    There's a cretin success rate with breast reduction and breastfeeding. It depends how much of your producing tissue was removed. the best thing is to try and have an LC with you as soon as possible and then schedule at least 2 followups. also be ready to combine with formula feeding.   
  • Options
    Thanks ladies!