January 2016 Moms
Options

Just another hospital bag post.

ashhsaashhsa member
edited November 2015 in January 2016 Moms
Soooo I know we have had a few of these but- I just found out my hospital supplies nothing! Not one thing. I won't even get those meche undies people keep raving about! lol! And I'll only wear the gown after the csection and then get back into my regular clothes! I can manage to figure out what I will need but it's so much harder to figure out what the baby needs?! As a first time mum I have no idea how many of each thing I will need.

Nappies-
Wipes-
Singlets-
Onesies/outfits-
Blankets-
Anything I'm forgetting?

I asked them in my antinatal classes and got no good answer, I'm really unsure of how many nappies/ outfits/ a newborn needs per day! And blankets- can you keep reusing until it's actually dirty or should you get a fresh one every day or twice a day?? I'll be in hospital for a 5 day minimum, but I can pack 2 bags and get my husband to pick up the second once I'm through the first...
I'm in the public health system in a small country hospital in Australia, so they just don't suply anything.

It's not like I'll be able to go home to wash things- so it's making me quite nervous, that I'll run out!!

Please help!

Re: Just another hospital bag post.

• Options
    Seriously? The hospital doesn't even supply blankets? Wow.

Diapers/nappies:  I would say bring a pack with you, 2 if your concerned.
    Wipes: Again, a pack, 2 if your worried.
    Singlets: What's a singlet?
    Onesies/outfits: for 5 days I would say 2 a day, 3 if your worried. The baby really won't be moving/spitting up much, so they really won't get that dirty in the first few days to two weeks.
    Blankets: 2-3 in case I'm wrong about your's spitting up or you have a diaper blowout.
    Things you're forgetting: Are you going to breastfeed or pump or formula feed? You will need whatever is associated with whichever method you choose. I liked the boppy to keep DS off of my c-section for both nursing and bottle feeding, but some people just use a regular pillow.

You can always have the DH run home for more supplies if you run out, so I honestly wouldn't worry about it too much.
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I would pack 2 bags and leave one in the car with the extras just in case. I'm surprised they are having you stay 5+ days. In the states they want you out of there pretty quickly. I think the minimum for a c-section here is 2 days and most commonly 3, but that is it, unless there are complications during that time.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @ariasbabyblog I know!!! I was completely shocked!! Not even for the first day/night!?! It's so bizzare!! Umm I think maybe singlets are "vests" haha! That must be a word that is lost in translation!
    @lwebley at this hospital it is a 3 day minimum stay for a vaginal birth, and 5 day minimum for a csection, and if there are complications you stay even longer, and if you don't feel confident going home, or breastfeeding on your own they encourage you to stay until you do.

I didn't think about breastfeeding stuff at all... Gosh, this is overwhelming!
  • Options
    Diapers: bring one pack of newborns and one pack of size one. Some babies don't fit newborns.
    Baby outfits: 2-3 per day
    Panties: honestly, a lot. Maybe go online and try to buy some mesh ones that you can throw away
    Blankets: I would say 3 or 4 for baby.
  • Options
    I'm a FTM too :)
    I've packed my hospital bag haha, I got Mum to write me a list.
    Hospital bag -
    Big bag of nappies, nappy wipes, 3-4 onesies, 3-4 singlets, baby beanie, baby socks, swaddle, couple of muslin wraps, your favourite baby blanket, two comfy, loose fitting outfits for me, two or three nursing bras, nursing pads for leakage, two packs of ten maternity pads (I'm using Libra) travel toiletries, book/magazine, camera, change for vending machine, nipper cream, phone charger, bed socks, dried fruit (apricots and prunes cause csection or natural, mum says you don't wanna be pushing out hard poop after your body has been through that) pillow, dressing gown.

Hope that helps... My Mum is very thorough.
  • Options
    *nipple cream
  • Options
    @lyannast good idea with the prunes !! Lmao!
  • Options
    Haha, she's had nine, so I'm more than willing to take any advice she's offering :wink:
  • Options

Can one of my friends overseas here tell me what a nappy is?! Sounds like something I want to do all day every day.

Nappy is a diaper.
  • Options
    @kmo8986 ahh yes that makes sense, thank you! :smiley:
  • Options
    @ashha, I'm in Australia too and having a c-section. I'm also staying in for 5 nights. I'm going to a relatively small hospital and was told in January even with air conditioning the wards can get quite warm. I was advised to take lightweight layers for both myself and LO so we don't overheat.
  • Options
    @arac2007 oh that is really good to know! I'm sure mine will be much the same!
  • Options
    Make sure you take stuff for you! You will still bleed even through you are having a c-section. You can order most of it online.
    Mesh medical undies that come up high
    Biggest pads you can find
    Peri bottle (you won't have stitches down there but it helps with the mess)
    Nipple cream
  • Options
    @Snoopylovesbelle I honestly wondered if I was going to need maternity pads- as I wasn't sure if I'd bleed down there. They don't supply any of those things either. Thank you!! :)