May 2016 Moms

GTKY: Favorite Thanksgiving Food

I am antsy to get out of work and start prepping for Thanksgiving!  Since Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday food-wise and I can't wait to stuff my face wearing maternity pants, let's talk about food.  What is your favorite Thanksgiving food?
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: GTKY: Favorite Thanksgiving Food

• This is like choosing between children.  I truly don't think I can pick just one.  I love mashed potatoes and gravy, the skin off fried turkey, and pineapple casserole.  People either love or hate pineapple casserole, but I LOVE it and look forward to it every year.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Mashed potatoes, but only my dads which I probably won't get this year bc they're not going to be home. :( And green bean casserole, which is probably weird but it's always been my favorite since I was little for some reason and it holds a special place on my thanksgiving/holiday menu... It probably helps I only eat it 2 days a year.
  • Loading the player...
  • Oh this is way too hard! I love the stuffing, green beans, and deviled eggs. Mmmmm! My FIL is an amazing cook when it comes to Thanksgiving.
    (Me) 30 & (DH) 32 {Together 11 years - Married 04.17.15}

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers 
    TTC Baby #2 since 06/15 | BFP 9/4/15 | EDD 5/07/16

BabyGaga
  • I love the canned cranberries. Weird I know. And stuffing, but it has to have sausage in it.

cat fail animated GIF

• nsouplynn said:
    Oh this is way too hard! I love the stuffing, green beans, and deviled eggs. Mmmmm! My FIL is an amazing cook when it comes to Thanksgiving.
    The only reason deviled eggs didn't make my list is because we eat them for Easter and sometimes Christmas.  There is a local restaurant that has a different deviled egg every day.  Sometimes they do deviled eggs with a piece of crispy chicken skin on top.  It is amazing.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • yogahh said:
    I love the canned cranberries. Weird I know. And stuffing, but it has to have sausage in it.
    Not weird!  I will eat homemade cranberry sauce, but I prefer straight up OceanSpray cranberry sauce, can lines and all.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• The only reason deviled eggs didn't make my list is because we eat them for Easter and sometimes Christmas.  There is a local restaurant that has a different deviled egg every day.  Sometimes they do deviled eggs with a piece of crispy chicken skin on top.  It is amazing.
    Crispy chicken skin on top??? OMG, that sounds delicious. 
    (Me) 30 & (DH) 32 {Together 11 years - Married 04.17.15}

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers 
    TTC Baby #2 since 06/15 | BFP 9/4/15 | EDD 5/07/16

BabyGaga
  • I love it all! Mashed potatoes and gravy, green bean casserole, the rolls, but I especially love a well cooked HAM! Yum! I'm not a huge turkey fan but I will eat so much ham... I'm starving already.
  • Can't wait for sweet potato casserole, with pecans, NOT marshmallows! It's my favorite holiday, because I get to spend time with family and it is less stressful than running around wrapping last minute gifts for Christmas!
  • Favorites for me would be stuffing and buttery bread rolls. I have a carb addiction. I wish I was having Thanksgiving this year! :(

Least favorites are that weird sweet potato thing that people make with the marshmallows and canned cranberry sauce. I know there are lots of people who love them (my father was one of them) and I know this is going to make me sound like a very snobby bitch but I feel like they downgrade the whole meal. 

• Mashed Potatoes....YUM!!!!

• Stuffing....stove top stuffing. I really think it tastes better than homemade.
  • Mashed potatoes and gravy by a landslide. And PREACH it @sjecc09 , hold the dang marshmallows on the sweet potato casserole. I also love me some Dixie pie with homemade whipped cream on top. I'm stoked I've got my appetite back for the holidays. When I was pregnant with my daughter I ate a roll and a bite of pie, and I couldn't even look at the turkey.
  • DanandVanDanandVan member
    edited November 2015
    Butternut squash soup with heavy cream for the regulars, coconut milk for the vegan side of the family - I'll eat both, I'll eat all of it. Its my favorite!
    Also, I am making Cabernet Cranberry Blueberry sauce right now that is my 2nd favorite.
    1 bag fresh cranberries
    1 bag frozen blueberries
    1 cup sugar
    1 cup Cabernet Sauvignon
    Dash of cinnamon and nutmeg
  • OMG I'M SO HUNGRY RIGHT NOW!!!! I can't pick just one. Turkey, homemade stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy, corn, green bean casserole, sauerkraut (don't hate!), homemade rolls....... OMG!! Don't get me started on desserts. Maybe I should have made this post what I don't like, which is sweet potatoes and cranberry sauce. That is all. Now I want to eat all of this RIGHT NOW!
    Baby #2 EDD: May 13th!
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Anniversary
  • I just want ALL the food! But I must say my favorite is definitely mashed potatoes and gravy.
  • Green bean casserole and mashed potatoes, but I honestly love it all. Since this is the first Thanksgiving in which I've been vegetarian, I've been blowing my mother up asking her about every menu item because I don't want to miss anything than can be easily helped!
  • Chalk another up on team mashed potatoes and gravy.  Extra delish if I can mix a little corn in there, too.  TWO DAYS and I will be in a food coma.
    Me: 27    DH: 30
    Married in 2011
    Baby 1: Stillborn at 27 weeks (April 2014)
    Baby 2: Due May 2016

• Potatoes! I'm doing mashed, scalloped, and sweet this year. The more potatoes the merrier!
    #1 Claire 12.17.13 & #2 EDD 5.11.16

• What is pineapple casserole? I love pineapple, but I've never heard of such a thing.
  • I'm about to post this as a PSA for my Facebook on thanksgiving :lol:

But my absolute favorite is yeast bread with honey baked Hamm!!! Omg!
  • MASHED TATERS AND PUMPKIN CHEESECAKE!
  • All of the food! Just all of it! But I do love me some green bean casserole and mashed potatoes.
  • Sweet potatoes with candied pecans-- no marshmallows. Really though, I love everything we usually have on the table.
  • @jenbkc I think pineapple casserole is a southern thing. I looooove pineapple so I love it but a lot of people don't. It's basically canned pineapple tidbits mixed with sugar and cheddar cheese. Crumble ritz and sprinkle on top, drizzle with melted butter and bake. The combination of pineapple and cheese sounds gross but works somehow.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • STUFFING STUFFING STUFFING!!!!
    ~~Signature Trigger Warning~~

Me: 32; Him: 36
    Married: Oct 20, 2013
    BFP 1: Aug 31, 2015
    EDD 1: May 12, 2016
    DD1 Emma born May 12, 2016
    An Honest Account of New Motherhood (with Postpartum Anxiety, Depression, and OCD)

BFP 2: October 07, 2019
    EDD 2: June 20, 2020

• @jenbkc I think pineapple casserole is a southern thing. I looooove pineapple so I love it but a lot of people don't. It's basically canned pineapple tidbits mixed with sugar and cheddar cheese. Crumble ritz and sprinkle on top, drizzle with melted butter and bake. The combination of pineapple and cheese sounds gross but works somehow.

I'm from the south and have never heard of that. My husband is grade A southern white man and has never heard of it either lol

What part of the south are you from?
  • My MIL (from the south) makes a pineapple casserole that is cubed bread, pineapple, eggs, milk, butter, sugar - it is kind of like a pineapple french toast bake. Its delicious, but we've never it for Thanksgiving!
  • tgortney said:

@jenbkc I think pineapple casserole is a southern thing. I looooove pineapple so I love it but a lot of people don't. It's basically canned pineapple tidbits mixed with sugar and cheddar cheese. Crumble ritz and sprinkle on top, drizzle with melted butter and bake. The combination of pineapple and cheese sounds gross but works somehow.

I'm from the south and have never heard of that. My husband is grade A southern white man and has never heard of it either lol

Really?! Maybe it's not a southern thing. I am from (and currently live in) SC.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Don't hurt me people - but my favorite is the fruit salad.  Just plain fruit cut up in a bowl thrown together for a "salad".  Love it. 
    Also if the turkey is smoked turkey, that is pretty good.
  • Mac and cheese. Hands down. Also collard greens and mashed potatoes.
  • OMG I'M SO HUNGRY RIGHT NOW!!!! I can't pick just one. Turkey, homemade stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy, corn, green bean casserole, sauerkraut (don't hate!), homemade rolls....... OMG!! Don't get me started on desserts. Maybe I should have made this post what I don't like, which is sweet potatoes and cranberry sauce. That is all. Now I want to eat all of this RIGHT NOW!
    I was helping my mom organize all the stuff for dinner tomorrow and came upon a can of sauerkraut. I was thoroughly confused, but she was adamant that I pack it to bring to my sister's. What do you do with the sauerkraut? And why all of a sudden? I need answers. Please help!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Greenbean casserole, sweet potato casserole, hashbrown casserole, and broccoli casserole.  What can I say, I like casseroles lol.  Oh and bread and butter pickle wedges which we have every holiday meal.  Usually we only have two of the four casseroles mentioned. 

First Pregnancy
    • BFP: 01/25/2015
    • EDD: 09/28/2015
    • Incomplete MC: 02/28/2015

Second Pregnancy

• BFP: 09/11/2015
    • EDD: 05/25/2016
    Baby Born
    04/15/2016

PGAL
  • Kurrant said:
    Favorites for me would be stuffing and buttery bread rolls. I have a carb addiction. I wish I was having Thanksgiving this year! :(

Least favorites are that weird sweet potato thing that people make with the marshmallows and canned cranberry sauce. I know there are lots of people who love them (my father was one of them) and I know this is going to make me sound like a very snobby bitch but I feel like they downgrade the whole meal. 

You dont like canned cranberries???!!!!
    shocked stunned astonished aghast astounded

cat fail animated GIF

• tgortney said:

@jenbkc I think pineapple casserole is a southern thing. I looooove pineapple so I love it but a lot of people don't. It's basically canned pineapple tidbits mixed with sugar and cheddar cheese. Crumble ritz and sprinkle on top, drizzle with melted butter and bake. The combination of pineapple and cheese sounds gross but works somehow.

Really?! Maybe it's not a southern thing. I am from (and currently live in) SC.
    We grew up and live in NC. Weird. I'd like to try it but it sounds so weird!!!

Also, Go Panthers!!!!

• My favorite food is ALL THE FOOD but if I have to pick it's gotta be mashed potatoes and gravy. And stuffing. And a big 'ol drumstick. And sweet potatoes. And brussels sprouts.

I'ma be like

• sophieophieohsophieophieoh member
    edited November 2015
    @yogahh , don't hate me, but I'm not a canned cranberry fan either. My mom has made kind of labor intensive homemade chutney since before I was born, it's kinda a combo between savory and sweet and sour and I've only JUST developed a taste for it though.
    My absolute favorite part of thanksgiving is the wild rice stuffing she makes that I mentioned previously. It's like heaven and when you mix gravy, green peas with it, stack it on potatoes and put turkey on top?! Perfect.

Also, PIE. ALWAYS PIE.
  • I'm with @MsIan it's all about the baked mac and cheese. I was almost worried because no one mentioned it. I recently read an article though that said mac and cheese is only served at southern Thanksgiving meals (my family lives up north now but our roots are in TN). 
    After mac and cheese I'm going for greens, deviled eggs, canned cranberry sauce (high five @yogaah), and all the rolls. 

I love seeing what people eat on this thread. Different regions... different cultures... different holiday food ideas. 
    Me: 31 | DH: 33
    DD: 05/14/16
    Baby #2 EDD: 12/23/19