May 2016 Moms
Options

Anybody on elavil?

My neurologist wants me to start taking elavil for headaches.  She called my OB while I was sitting there to make sure it is okay, but I am still not sure.  Anybody else on it? Or take it during a previous pregnancy?

TIA!
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Anybody on elavil?

• Options
    Pharmacist here: traditionally Elavil was used as an antidepressant. Many people use it for pain syndromes these days, headaches being one of those uses. It is considered one of the safer choices in pregnancy as it has been used for many years. However all drugs come with risks, it is your decision whether or not you choose to take the medication. The question is, can you live through the pain of your headaches or not? That's how I would be deciding.

I think deciding whether or not to take certain medications in pregnancy is one of the hardest decisions we have to make as mothers. It's a tough call and a very personal one too
  • Options
    I was on Elavil 25 mg once daily prior to becoming pregnant. I stopped taking it on my own about a month before we started TTC bc I personally want to make the best choices that I can. I don't know how bad your headaches are. Mine occurred just about daily to the point I was almost passing out from my head squeezing. Thankfully this has only happened once since stopping Elavil.
    If your OB ok'd it, I wouldn't worry :) It is a pregnancy class C drug.