Trying to Get Pregnant

Have you looked into maternity benefits yet?

Another user posted a question about short term disability and it got me thinking... How many of you in the TTC community have already looked into your maternity benefits? What benefits are you offered at your place of work? I've read tons of articles about big companies like Google and Facebook offering Awesome benefits packages, and I've also worked at places where the benefits were sub-par. 

I work for a Fortune 500 company and the benefits are pretty standard. You have to use PTO for the first week of leave, and then you get an additional 5 weeks (for a total of 6) paid at 75% of your salary. You can take off up to 12 weeks under FMLA but if you want to get paid, you have to use accrued PTO hours. 
The company I work for was recently featured in the local news for their motherly support though. They reimburse breast pumps at 100% up to a $300 value, and they have "mother rooms" all over the building that you can book through a website for pumping throughout the day, so that's pretty neat!

What about you, ladies? What benefits does your employer offer, if any? Also, what are your thoughts on paternity leave for the dads? I worked for a company once that offered that as well and I sure wish my DH had that!
Me: 25  DH: 28

Hubby's little boy - my wonderful step-son - born 5/23/10
BFP#1: 06/2010...my beautiful baby girl born 3/7/2011
BFP #2: 10/24/15...mc on 10/31/15
BFP #3: 11/27/15. EDD 8/6/16

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." -Winston Churchill

Re: Have you looked into maternity benefits yet?

• I have no maternity benefits and I I am not aware of my friends having any paid time off (just using your vacation time).  I think it's pretty standard around here.  
  • I am a consultant and don't get benefits. There is talk about hiring me as full time employee which would be 14 weeks paid at 100%. Downside is salary is a lot lower than what I make hourly.
    TTC #2- November 2015

• Loading the player...
  • I'm leaving my current job as a consultant and going to work for a company that will offer me a full benefits package for no other reason than we're planning on starting our family in the very near future. Unfortunately, there is no paid maternity offered. You have to use short term disability for 6 weeks at 60% of your salary and then you can tack on any PTO/Vacation time that you have. Of course, FMLA can be used as well for an additional 6 weeks at no pay. There is no paternity leave offered. Luckily, DH makes his own schedule and works from home a good amount so he has more options than many. 

Me: 32 & DH: 37
    Married: November 2014
    TTC #1 Since: October 2015
    BFP #1: 11/18/15 - CP
    BFP #2: 2/8/16 - EDD 10/20/16
    IT'S A BOY!!!!
    DS Born 10/16/16

• I'm insanely aware of how lucky we are with the coverage we have in the US through our current companies.

I can use short-term disability for just over 80% of my salary for 12 weeks, and the company provides an 8 weeks fully paid leave for both mothers and fathers. The 8 weeks can be used all at once or split into two 4 week terms during the first year after birth or adoption. I already work from home a couple of days a week and I'm hoping to maintain that flexibility when we have a child so I can be home as much as possible and as long as possible. The fella's company offers 1 month of paid paternity leave after a birth or an adoption.

They  also offer three different health plans and I can't speak for the other two but I know that my plan pays for 100% of maternity and birth costs.

My company is multi-national and has landed on multiple lists for working parents in the last couple of years.

• I'm really lucky that DH has awesome medical coverage, so having a baby will cost us $0.

My company offers the standard short-term disability (6-8 weeks depending on delivery) at 60% of my salary, then I can use FMLA for up to a total of 12 weeks, but that will be unpaid.

DH does not get any type of leave, but he has a generous allowance of vacation/personal days, so he will use some of that to be home for a week or two.

DS: June 2008
    Married: July 2015
    BFP: 5/20/16  |  EDD: 1/28/17  |  Twin boys born 1/16/17
  • misspuppychowmisspuppychow member
    edited November 2015
    I get 6 weeks paid maternity leave at 100% and can take another 6 weeks unpaid under FMLA but we get a ton of sick hours so I have more than enough to cover my other 6 weeks.  So I will essentially get 12 weeks paid leave, but I have to provide for the latter 6 weeks. It's decent compared to a lot of employers! 

Luckily, my DH's insurance is great as well. All my OB and RE visits are free and the hospital stay to deliver is a flat $100 copay.  They will also provide a breast pump.
    Married 09/2014
    BFP #1 11/19/15 | DS 07/16/2016
    BFP #2 09/03/17 | EDD 05/17/2018
  • 12 weeks paid at 100% but part of my salary is based on productivity so I will be expected to either make up that time or stockpile that productivity in advance. I have great health insurance so I don't pay anything as long as I get my care within a certain hospital system. We certainly won't be traveling anywhere close to any future due dates to make sure we can make that happen!
  • I teach college and I get a new contract every semester, so I'll get about 4 months off since I'll have to take a whole semester. But it's not paid and there is no guarantee I'll be given classes again when I come back.
  • @PrimRoseMama It would be nice if SAHMs could get maternity leave lol
  • bcooke314 said:
    @PrimRoseMama It would be nice if SAHMs could get maternity leave lol
    LOL at any time off, but yes that would be nice. :P

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• My company pays for my short term disability policy, which would cover 60% of my salary for 11 weeks. If I'm with my company for 18 months before birth, I'd get 6 weeks paid at 100%.

Me: 33     H: 36

Married: 12/14/13   DS: 1/29/09

BFP2: 10/9/15  MMC: 11/12/15

BFP3: 4/6/16   DD: 12/12/16

• I teach elementary school and get 6 weeks paid (but that includes using up all my sick time first).  I could also take up to a year off without pay.
  • I currently work for a small start up company, so there is no actual maternity leave policy or FMLA. However I am salaried and my boss is great about working things out, so when the time comes we will just figure out what makes sense, whether that be only taking 3 weeks off and receiving full pay or taking an extended period at only a percentage of my salary. I haven't decided what makes the most sense for me yet, and I won't make that decision until I actually am pregnant. Also, I should add that I work from home so if I have to "return" to work early it won't be as much of a burden. 

I'm really hoping we figure out some better maternity leave options for us here in the US soon! It would be a big relief to many moms out there. A girl that I know through some friends had to return to work only a couple days after she gave birth because she couldn't afford to take any time off and there were no benefits available to her. It's awful that parents have to be put in that position. 

Me: 28 DH: 29
    Married: August 2014
    TTC #1 Since March 2015
    Diagnosed with PCOS March 2016
    SA results normal April 2016
    3 rounds clomid + trigger + TI = BFN
    3 rounds clomid + trigger + IUI = BFN
    Uterine polyp removed July 2017
    Round 1 IVF January 2018

• I'm a sahm soooo no.
    But my husband got 12 weeks paid last time- he was lucky to be with a great company that was understanding of our special circumstances(preemie with a birth defect). No idea what his leave will be like next time.
    image image
  • I'm in Canada.  I get 12 weeks Maternity Leave followed by 40 weeks Parental Leave which can be taken by myself or my spouse.  Pay is calculated based on your income and there is a maximum so if you make a lot of money, you will be paid a smaller percentage of your wage while on Mat leave but most people get about 50-60% of their normal wage from the government.  My job also pays a top-up to 85% of my salary for the first 6 months and my benefits are continued as long as I pay my portion.  There is pregnancy leave available as well that allows you to leave work early if medically necessary but I don't know how that works because I've never had to use it.

You do have to think about timing because to qualify for Mat leave you have to have worked a minimum number of hours before your baby is born.  It's about 4 months of full time work.  You also have to have passed your probation period at a job to qualify for any benefits or top up, so no changing jobs while pregnant!

The downside is that because we get 12 months off, employers are not very breastfeeding friendly.  I'm sure you could negotiate enough breaks to pump with your boss but I've never heard of a Canadian company having spaces set aside for this.  Most people are comfortable weaning at one year when they go back to work so it's not a big deal, but the Parental Leave that can be taken by either the mother or the father is a new program that is gaining popularity.  If they start finding there are more men taking time off to stay home, employers might need to become more "pumping friendly" in the future.

Just because I really want to feel the hate tonight, I have seen other posts about the costs of giving birth in the States and I just have to point out (brag) that in Canada, my pre-natal care, labour, delivery and post natal care cost me exactly $0.  My work benefits would have covered a semi-private room but I opted to upgrade to a private for $50 a night, which I was never charged because all the semi-privates were ful when I was in the hospital and the policy is that if you are upgraded and it's not by choice, they don't bill you for it.  The only thing I did have to pay for was $25 for a week to rent a hospital grade pump because we had some difficulties breastfeeding early on, and formula for the same reason.   
  • @0SeaMonkey0 Okay, how soon can I move to Canada????

But for now, I do get 12 weeks @ 100% pay. 'Murica!
  • I get 8 weeks 100% paid, after having to use up sick days and short-term disability, then the remainder of the 12 weeks via FMLA is unpaid. My SO doesn't have benefits.

Also just as a note. A few people said their husband's companies don't have paternity leave. If your partner works at a company that qualifies for FMLA (and they're eligible re: the work requirements), they can take the 12 weeks unpaid. It's shitty that it's unpaid, and about half of all workers don't work at FMLA eligible companies anyway, but it's there if desired.

TTC #1 --- BFP #1 5/15, loss at 5 weeks --- BFP #2 12/15, loss at 4+3 --- RE testing 3/16 normal, still trying for our rainbow    

• @Cort1021  if you like that you shold check out some European countries.  100% pay for 2 years!  I'm not complaining though, what we get is great.

To be honest, it's really hard to go back to work after a whole year away (again not complaining, but it is a real struggle).  You're guaranteed an "equivalent job" on your return but myself and many other women I know have actually gone back and been given totally new jobs with new responsibilities.  I basically started a new job three months ago.  Same company, totally new department.  I honestly thing two years would be too long to be away.  Even if you don't lose any seniority on paper, you're going to lose a lot of skills and knowledge and people are going to forget who you are!!!

I guess in a perfect world, I would ask for the 12 months off at 100% pay, and then free child care because mother of god it is hard to make ends meet paying over a thousand dollars a month for a babysitter (and that's cheaper than daycare!!)  

• I basically was told that "my job will be held for me", and that's it.
    No benefits. No pumping time when I come back.
    Yuck.
    What they may not know, is that I plan to go part time after babies. Not many benefits of staying full time for me. DH has insurance for both of us.
    I can't wait to cut back on work!
    Married 2011
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    Fur child: One awesome Golden Retriever
    IUI August 2016  : Cancelled due to polyp
    September 2016: Polyp removal/hysteroscopy
    October 2016: IUI #1- BFN
    November 2016: IUI #2- BFN
    December 2016: IUI #3 - BFN
    January/February 2017 - IVF + ICSI + PGD
    March 2017 - FET

• I work for a major US bank. We have 10 day "elimination period" before short term disability kicks in (you can use benefit time). Then 6 or 8 weeks paid at 100% depending on your type of birth, then 3 weeks paid parental leave. And then you can take 12 weeks of unpaid FMLA after that. If you still have benefit time, some of that can be used to offset the unpaid weeks. It ends up being close to 6 months, and most women take close to that.

I used to work for a major retailer and it was 6-8 weeks 100% paid depending on your birth, and unpaid for the remainder of the FMLA.
    Me: 33 DH: 31
    DS: 5 years old
    TTC #2 since August 2015
    July 2016: Testing cycle with 100 mg Clomid = BFN
    August 2016: 50 mg Clomid + IUI = BFN
    October 2016: IVF#1 - 13 retrieved / 12 mature /  9 fertilized / 2 blasts
    November 2016: FET#1 = chemical
    January 2017: FET#2 = chemical
    March 2017: IVF#2 - 18 retrieved / 18 mature / 16 fertilized / 5 blasts
    April 24, 2017: FET#3 - BFN
    May 24, 2017: FET#4 - BFP! - Beta #1 151 - Beta #2 503 - Due date 2/9/18
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm a sahm soooo no. But my husband got 12 weeks paid last time- he was lucky to be with a great company that was understanding of our special circumstances(preemie with a birth defect). No idea what his leave will be like next time.
    My husband also got 12 weeks of paid Paternity Leave. I was so surprised that that was a benefit that he got with his company. His friend J-- they have 6 kids and so the two of them trade off managing labs and stuff with Family Time. Its amazing that his work place is so accommodating. I know for the female engineers that they have the option of 16 weeks paid leave and then they can choose to come back part time or full time. Many of his female coworkers choose to work from home with baby and part time. Our city is fairly progressive with some of these things, so I am so very happy that his company is like that.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Our benefits are pretty standard. I get 6-8 weeks at 60% of my salary as short-term disability. I do qualify for FMLA, but the remaining weeks will be unpaid. I hadn't thought about DH getting some leave under FMLA, though! He just started a new job but with the same company, just moved to a different department, so I don't think that would make him start over as far as qualifying for it, would it? Either way, it might be a while before we're KU, so it may be a non-issue by then. 
                                Me: 26, H: 28
                                Married since 2012
                                TTC #1 since July 2015
                                 **TW**
                                         Laparoscopy and Endometriosis dx February 2016
                                HSG and SA all clear! September 2016
                                 Testing with RE October 2016
                                                        BFP 11/5/2016 ~ EDD 7/19/2016

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • I can elect to take it in 2 different ways.
    We get 45 days from date of birth (including weekends). We then get 15 "child-care" days which you can use throughout the first year of your child's life. So some mothers tack them on for an extra 3 weeks immediately following birth while some save them for of the child is sick. Ultimately will depend on how the birth goes and if it occurs near a school break. There's no short term disability where I live. Some do take some unpaid time off.

It's not great but it's better than I know a lot have in the states. It's also 100% covered by my insurance. That was the main game changer while I'm still where I am.
    TTC1: May 2015
    Primary IF May 2016; Failed HSG; Scheduled Lap Sept. 2016
    BFP: August 22, 2016/EDD: April 29, 2017
    DD: May 1, 2017
    TTC2: June 2019
    CP September 2019
    Lap and repeat HSG scheduled December 2019
    BFP: November 24, 2019/EDD: August 2, 2020
  • In my state everyone pays into TDI (temporary disability insurance) as part of their taxes. It covers 6-8 weeks depending on the type of delivery at I think 60% of your base pay. The remainder of the FMLA 12 weeks would either be unpaid or I could use sick/vacation time.
    BabyGaga
  • My job has only 5 employees, so I don't even qualify for FMLA. I do have a "handshake agreement," that my job will be held. I still feel nervous, though.

Financially, the situation is a little better. My state offers both SDI and temporary caregiver insurance. Basically I can get around 50% of my salary for about 10 weeks between the two programs, which would work for us. To preserve my position, however, I'm mentally preparing for the minimum of 6-8 weeks. Ugh.
  • @LizaKate1213 what state is that? I've never heard of the state paying it.
    CP September 2019
  • Wow, you guys are bumming me out!  All I'll get is FMLA leave and I feel like I was waiting forever (okay, 3 months) to start TTC just to qualify for that.  I'm trying to save up PTO so I'll at least get a couple of weeks paid.  I should really look into short-term disability benefits privately, but honestly if it means I'll have to put TTC on hold to qualify, it ain't happening!  I don't think my state has any kind of maternity benefits.  DH will be able to take a few weeks off paid, depending on what time of year it is and how busy they are.  I plan on using ever second of my leave, and even though it sucks that it's unpaid, we'll make it work.  Maybe I should move to Canada...
    Me (28) & DH (29)
    Married: May 2015
    BFP 1/24/16 EDD 10/4/16
    It's a boy!

• Mlight28 said:

I basically was told that "my job will be held for me", and that's it.
    Yuck.
    What they may not know, is that I plan to go part time after babies. Not many benefits of staying full time for me. DH has insurance for both of us.

Mlight28 said:

I basically was told that "my job will be held for me", and that's it.
    Yuck.

I thought that companies have to provide pumping space and time, by law. I would look into that.
    My TTC History:
    2009: missed miscarriage #1 at 9 weeks (trisomy 16)
    2010: Infertility
    2011: Diagnosis and treatment (low sperm count, anastrozole for DH, clomid for me + IUI)
    2012: Baby #1
    2014: Baby #2
    October 2015: missed miscarriage #2 at 11 weeks (trisomy 22)
    March 2016 BFP#5, due November 2016.

My Charts since 2009

• I'm not trying to sound mean but if anyone that is on this board hasn't looked into their benefits/lack-there-of at their place of employment they really should before getting pregnant.  The benefits may not be what they expect and they should be planning accordingly.  It sounds like many of us are aware of what is offered and are prepared if there is nothing offered.  I hope everyone on here actively trying has at least researched their situation. 
    CP September 2019
  • sarah0985 said:
    I'm not trying to sound mean but if anyone that is on this board hasn't looked into their benefits/lack-there-of at their place of employment they really should before getting pregnant.  The benefits may not be what they expect and they should be planning accordingly.  It sounds like many of us are aware of what is offered and are prepared if there is nothing offered.  I hope everyone on here actively trying has at least researched their situation. 
    I'm with you. I think it's extremely important! I'm a crazy super-planner and looked into my benefits the day my husband (boyfriend at the time) decided we'd eventually want more kids. ;) I do wonder if anyone would ever put off having kids because of their maternity benefits. As in, if someone decided they definitely want to have kids, and then looked into it and found out that their maternity benefits were slim-to-none, is that enough reason to put off having kids? Just an interesting thing to think about. I'm not sure what I'd do.

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." -Winston Churchill
  • I am very lucky because I get 16 weeks paid, plus 2 weeks unpaid, plus vacation time if I want. I am an associate at a law firm. I think we should have mandatory paid maternity leave like every single other country in the world. I read an article I think in Forbes that said it would only cost $50 per worker per year. I think it's disgusting that some women have to go back to work after only a week or two. https://youtu.be/zIhKAQX5izw You have to watch this video if you haven't seen.
    That video was awesome. But man, it makes me sad to be an American! Especially when he played the clip of the politicians talking about the FMLA being passed back in '93. Also, I hadn't realized that it was passed 12 years ago... I'm amazed that we haven't done anything else in those 12 years as a country. Sigh.

• I basically was told that "my job will be held for me", and that's it. No benefits. No pumping time when I come back. Yuck. What they may not know, is that I plan to go part time after babies. Not many benefits of staying full time for me. DH has insurance for both of us. I can't wait to cut back on work!
    I basically was told that "my job will be held for me", and that's it. No benefits. No pumping time when I come back. Yuck. What they may not know, is that I plan to go part time after babies. Not many benefits of staying full time for me. DH has insurance for both of us. I can't wait to cut back on work!
    I thought that companies have to provide pumping space and time, by law. I would look into that.
    I've wondered about that. When I had my daughter back in 2011, I was given my normal breaks (two 15 minute breaks and a 30 minute lunch) and I had to use that time for pumping when I returned, which was at 6 weeks. Further, they didn't have a pumping room so I had to do it in a storage closet, which was usually locked so I often spent the first 5 minutes of my break hunting down the key and getting it open, and sometimes ended up in a bathroom stall because I couldn't find the person with the key. It was miserable and I ended up stopping when my daughter was 3 months because pumping at work was so stressful and I couldn't possibly pump enough in the time I was given.

• @sarah0985, Rhode Island. Everyone who works pays into it, so the state isn't paying it per se. It is an insurance plan that is just run by the state. I have been paying into it since I was 16 and had my first job. It covers all medical absences from work that are not covered by workman's comp. So, if I broke my leg outside of work, I could collect temporary disability. I collected for 6 weeks after the natural birth of DS. My sister collected for 8 weeks after each of her 2 c-sections.
    BabyGaga
  • @sarah0985, Rhode Island. Everyone who works pays into it, so the state isn't paying it per se. It is an insurance plan that is just run by the state. I have been paying into it since I was 16 and had my first job. It covers all medical absences from work that are not covered by workman's comp. So, if I broke my leg outside of work, I could collect temporary disability. I collected for 6 weeks after the natural birth of DS. My sister collected for 8 weeks after each of her 2 c-sections.

I'm in RI too. Nice to hear from someone who has been able to successfully utilize the program!
  • I basically was told that "my job will be held for me", and that's it. No benefits. No pumping time when I come back. Yuck. What they may not know, is that I plan to go part time after babies. Not many benefits of staying full time for me. DH has insurance for both of us. I can't wait to cut back on work!
    I basically was told that "my job will be held for me", and that's it. No benefits. No pumping time when I come back. Yuck. What they may not know, is that I plan to go part time after babies. Not many benefits of staying full time for me. DH has insurance for both of us. I can't wait to cut back on work!
    I've wondered about that. When I had my daughter back in 2011, I was given my normal breaks (two 15 minute breaks and a 30 minute lunch) and I had to use that time for pumping when I returned, which was at 6 weeks. Further, they didn't have a pumping room so I had to do it in a storage closet, which was usually locked so I often spent the first 5 minutes of my break hunting down the key and getting it open, and sometimes ended up in a bathroom stall because I couldn't find the person with the key. It was miserable and I ended up stopping when my daughter was 3 months because pumping at work was so stressful and I couldn't possibly pump enough in the time I was given.

Pumping in a storage closet or bathroom stall sounds awful. If I was in that situation, I would just start pumping out in the open and see if anyone gets uncomfortable enough to find a real space for me to use.

• I am very lucky because I get 16 weeks paid, plus 2 weeks unpaid, plus vacation time if I want. I am an associate at a law firm. I think we should have mandatory paid maternity leave like every single other country in the world. I read an article I think in Forbes that said it would only cost $50 per worker per year. I think it's disgusting that some women have to go back to work after only a week or two.
    https://youtu.be/zIhKAQX5izw
    You have to watch this video if you haven't seen.

That video was awesome. But man, it makes me sad to be an American! Especially when he played the clip of the politicians talking about the FMLA being passed back in '93. Also, I hadn't realized that it was passed 12 years ago... I'm amazed that we haven't done anything else in those 12 years as a country. Sigh.

22 years!
    My TTC History:
    2009: missed miscarriage #1 at 9 weeks (trisomy 16)
    2010: Infertility
    2011: Diagnosis and treatment (low sperm count, anastrozole for DH, clomid for me + IUI)
    2012: Baby #1
    2014: Baby #2
    October 2015: missed miscarriage #2 at 11 weeks (trisomy 22)
    March 2016 BFP#5, due November 2016.

My Charts since 2009

• My company is only 3 employees (including myself), so legally I don't even qualify for FMLA.  Luckily, my boss is decent and allowed me to take as much time as I wanted, so I had 13 weeks off, although it was all unpaid (I used my accrued vacation to cover some of it, but it was only 3 weeks).  DH works for a much larger tech company and had 6 weeks 100% paid paternity leave.

When I have #2, I will be a SAHM, so basically I'll just be cashing out whatever vacation time I've accrued by then.

As for pumping, I'm pretty sure that all insurance plans are now required to cover a breast pump.  I also think that all companies legally have to give you the time and a private place to pump, so that's something to double check for those who employers are going to give them shit about it.  Since my office is so small, I had to kick someone out of their office for 15 min twice a day so I could pump privately.  It was not ideal, but we made it work. 
  • I am very lucky because I get 16 weeks paid, plus 2 weeks unpaid, plus vacation time if I want. I am an associate at a law firm. I think we should have mandatory paid maternity leave like every single other country in the world. I read an article I think in Forbes that said it would only cost $50 per worker per year. I think it's disgusting that some women have to go back to work after only a week or two. https://youtu.be/zIhKAQX5izw You have to watch this video if you haven't seen.
    22 years!

Haha, I knew that. ;)