November 2015 Moms
Options

Chicken pox and a newborn

DD's daycare told us today (of course after we drop her off) that a kid in her room has chicken pox. They know I'm being induced on Friday. DD has had her shot for pox but I'm concerned about the baby, has anyone had this problem before? Should I keep her home for the week?

Re: Chicken pox and a newborn

• Options
    If it was me I would give your pedi a call, not sure if i would be comfortable relying on the vaccine to prevent chicken pox from coming home unless the pedi trusted it. The week we brought DD home pneumonia was going around DS daycare so we kept him home.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I agree with calling your pedi. I might keep her home to be safe too. But if it's in her class she's been exposed.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would keep her home, and talk to pedi
  • Options
    I called my dr and ob and am waiting for calls back. There was also vomiting and diarrhea going thru the staff and kids so she might be staying home chicken pox or not. She wouldn't eat her lunch today which has never happened before so that also concerns me.
  • Options

I called my dr and ob and am waiting for calls back. There was also vomiting and diarrhea going thru the staff and kids so she might be staying home chicken pox or not. She wouldn't eat her lunch today which has never happened before so that also concerns me.

Good luck. Hopefully if she has something it is just a cold and will clear up before Friday.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    If the child already has them then your daughter has already been exposed before the blisters appeared. Won't matter now either way if you keep her home, it's more infectious before they get blisters. if she's going to get them she may already be infected and not have the blisters yet unfortunately.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Someone can also spread the virus 48 hours before they actually show the chicken pox.  I don't have immunity (had it twice as a kid and have a negative titer--nobody is sure why that is) and when I was about 4 months pregnant spent time with a friend's daughter the day before she showed signs and I had to get a special drug (not the vaccine) for it.  It's basically the antibodies from someone immune to chicken pox to give you temporary immunity.  They had to give me 6 vials of the stuff to get to an adult dose, I think because it's mostly used in newborn babies that have been exposed.  So, if worse comes to worse, there are some specific drugs (in addition to general antivirals) available that can help prevent or reduce symptoms if anything happens. Hopefully though, your daughter will be protected by her vaccine and if you're exposed to it via your daughter before the birth, you might mount an immune response to fight it off and help pass some extra antibodies to your baby before birth.  Glad you're talking to your pediatrician and ob though.  Good luck!
  • Options
    Both Drs said DD is immune so shouldn't be bringing viruses home and because I had it as a child I'm also immune which passes to baby at least for a few months after birth. So big relief there!