May 2016 Moms

Babymoon help!!

Hey guys,

My husband and I were wanting to take a trip in my 2nd trimester but as you all know that's the winter time! We'll probably go somewhere in January or February. What are some of your babymoon suggestions?

Thank you!!

Re: Babymoon help!!

• Where do you live?  My suggestions will be based on what part of the country you're in.  Are you looking to fly or drive?  Do you want to stay in the country?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • We are trying to get to Miami in FEB for 3 days. I need some sun before this baby is born!
    Do you like the beach? Mountains? Are you willing to leave the country? Really, you can go anywhere as long as you feel safe with the traveling.

cat fail animated GIF

• Loading the player...
  • Our anniversary is in February so that's when we may try to go somewhere as well. DH wants to go somewhere he can ski (probably Vermont) and I don't mind cold and snow since I'm in sunny Florida year round. If we can't swing it money wise by then though we're going to get a hotel for a long weekend on a beach near where we live or in the Orlando area to take advantage of our Disney passes for a few days in a row. Honestly we just want something to get away for a few days without a baby one last time so where we end up going is pretty secondary to us.
  • Where do you live?  My suggestions will be based on what part of the country you're in.  Are you looking to fly or drive?  Do you want to stay in the country?

I second this. Can you provide a little more info and then I can give loads of suggestions!

We aren't doing a big babymoon because H will run out of vacation days if we do that and I will need him home when baby is born. We live in Denver, so we will be taking a day trip up to our favorite little mountain town and just bumming around all day. We will probably do this towards the end of winter.

• If I had the vacation time (have to save it all for maternity leave so I get paid), I'd take a cruise.
  • We are (planning on) going on a cruise the week after Christmas. 
    Married: May 2012
    DS1: May 2016
    DS2: Jan 2019
    Baby #3 EDD: 6/18/24

• We don't have the funds this time around to do a babymoon, but last time, we combined a work trip with a fun babymoon! My home office is out in San Jose and I had to go out there right at the end of the 2nd trimester. My DH had always wanted to go to Cali, so we decided to have him fly out and meet me and do an extended weekend. We spent the time site-seeing in San Francisco and it was so much fun! It was something we were both able to check off our lists of things we wanted to do. Now that we have a little at home, it would be much harder (and more expensive) to do something like that again. Maybe try to do something that you've always wanted to do that might be difficult after baby gets here!

Baby #2 EDD: May 13th!
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Anniversary
  • Ohhh I was just searching around for babymoon ideas because of this thread and I stumbled upon this site. Looks like you put in the state you are interested in and it lists places that have babymoon packages! Definitely check this out. I am lusting over a couple of the spots in CO now! https://www.babymoonguide.com/index.html
  • Awesome! Thanks ladies! We live in Texas near Ft Worth.
  • Mexico! Somewhere in the Caribbean

• You have to read the fine print on cruises. Many cruise lines will not let you board if you are beyond 24 weeks pregnant.
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Thanks @sarawifenow I just spent way to much time looking up dream vacations. :P
  • @H0neyC0mb my pleasure! If you find one that is perfect and way cheap (*free*) let me know!
  • I would be wary of international travel, even mexico. Its easy to get ill from different foods and ways of cooking, and being sick while not in the US, while pregnant, just seems horrible.

cat fail animated GIF

• yogahh said:
    I would be wary of international travel, even mexico. Its easy to get ill from different foods and ways of cooking, and being sick while not in the US, while pregnant, just seems horrible.

I understand everyone has a different level of comfort with this, but I went twice during my last pregnancy, once at 7 weeks pregnant this time and we'll be going back in March. I've also been with my son at 8 months old and 15 months old...There are doctors and pharmacies everywhere is you have an issue...Obviously, if you won't enjoy it because you're anxious then you should choose something in the U.S.

• I would go to Cancun and stay at an all inclusive for a few days it's a perfect mix of relaxing on the beach and options for activities! It's a really quick flight from DFW airport. You should be able to get an amazing deal since it's not a huge tourist season. You don't need to worry about drinking the water since resorts will provide bottled water. 
  • We are also in DFW and are driving down to Galveston for a cruise in January for our babymoon!
  • We're actually going to Cancun to park our asses on a beach at an all-inclusive in January :)  It's a combination honeymoon babymoon because we didn't take a HM right after our wedding.  Just make sure you get trip insurance, just in case something comes up and you can't fly when it's time to leave.  We thought about a cruise but decided against it...only because I just spent 14 weeks feeling perpetually seasick and didn't want to risk another week of it ;)
  • We don't want to take off any more time than we have to so I think we are going to do a staycation over a weekend and bum around the metro area. Or turn off cell phones and watch movies all weekend. Basically ignoring everyone whichever we decide.
  • We did Miami last time, this time I think Puerto Rico in January since it's a direct flight from NYC. This will be a babymoon/my first trip away from DS. I'm so nervous to leave him, but I need a mental break and can't wait for time alone with DH. I picked Puerto Rico because I wanted to be able to be home within 4-5 hours in case of emergency.
  • Do you know what resort y'all are staying at? There's so many!!!
  • We're actually going to Cancun to park our asses on a beach at an all-inclusive in January too! Just booked over the weekend. I won't worry at all about food sanitation at a 4-star resort.

I got a surprise bonus last month and we felt like it was the universe's way of telling us we needed to take the trip. Bump in a bikini!
  • We're going to Thailand in January, YIPPIEH!

• I'm from dfw - we went on a cruise last time out if Galveston (Cozumel-grand cayman-jamaica) and this time were going to Puerto Rico - never been, excited to check it out.
  • Mexico is where we are headed in February. Some beach time and some time inland as well.

I saw New Orleans was suggested and I would second that suggestion if you are looking to stay in the US! We go down at least once a year, it's a relatively inexpensive vacation. Great music, food, people, weather! The flights are cheap from here in NYC, may be from your neck of the woods as well.
  • We have 3 weeks till our babymoon! We are flying to Singapore and the hopping on a cruise to Thailand, Malaysia, and Myanmar. This was planned before we got pregnant. I probably would have picked somewhere a little less remote and closer. But DH's family loves to travel and invited us. Couldn't turn it down! I'll be 19 weeks.
    Pregnancy Ticker

5.5.16 | 8.14.17 | 1.30.19
  • I'm so torn! I really want a trip like we do every winter. Winters in Ottawa can be brutal and depressing after a couple months so I love to get away. 

OB highly recommended staying national for travel due to Canadian healthcare. Even with travel insurance unfortunately travelling anywhere south (including US) was not in his recommendation because he's seen travel insurance not cover medical emergencies. 

Is it very selfish of me to want to go south this year with baby coming in May? My ideal babymoon would be a cruise out of Florida. Sun + pool/beach = bliss

Any others in the same predicament? First world problems, right?! LOL

• @cmeags it's okay to be a little selfish during pregnancy :) Are you considered high risk, or is your doctor just being cautious?
  • @cmeags it's okay to be a little selfish during pregnancy :) Are you considered high risk, or is your doctor just being cautious?
    He's cautious I think. I've had one m/c and have epilepsy but this is a healthy normal pregnancy. Sooo you're saying I should pack my bags and go anyway, right? lol ;-)
  • cmeags said:
    @cmeags it's okay to be a little selfish during pregnancy :) Are you considered high risk, or is your doctor just being cautious?
    He's cautious I think. I've had one m/c and have epilepsy but this is a healthy normal pregnancy. Sooo you're saying I should pack my bags and go anyway, right? lol ;-)
    I think that's what I would do, but I'd be lying if you didn't just make me think "what happens if I have a medical emergency down in Mexico?!" Note to self: research resort's proximity to hospital...
  • cmeags said:

I'm so torn! I really want a trip like we do every winter. Winters in Ottawa can be brutal and depressing after a couple months so I love to get away. 

OB highly recommended staying national for travel due to Canadian healthcare. Even with travel insurance unfortunately travelling anywhere south (including US) was not in his recommendation because he's seen travel insurance not cover medical emergencies. 

Is it very selfish of me to want to go south this year with baby coming in May? My ideal babymoon would be a cruise out of Florida. Sun + pool/beach = bliss

Any others in the same predicament? First world problems, right?! LOL

I'm high risk so I can't fly. Also live in Ontario. We really want to go somewhere sunny but have agreed on just having a few days away somewhere to relax...that's driveable. Also managed to convince my husband to stay in Canada, because I don't want to be dealing with expensive travel insurance which can get complicated. It sucks but I think it's for the best. I'd hate to get stuck in the US if something went wrong and have a medical bill to pay on top of it!!
  • @ayeshaohara

I'm still torn but I think we are leaning that way too. It would totally suck to have an issue and require medical attention while down south, even though I'm not high risk.

Good to hear an opinion of another Ontarian. Which part are you in? (If you say the banana belt area then that doesn't even count as winter, lol)
  • I don't know what the banana belt region is! I'm not a local, I'm a relocated Aussie. I'm in London ON