Infertility

Fet or start fresh

Attempted a fresh off cycle in October which resulted in 5 embies. Since my clinics protocol is 6 embies or more to grow out to day 5, we did a 3 day transfer,of 2. One 8 cell grade 2 and one 7 cell grade 1. This ended in BFN. Our other 3 embies were frozen on day 3- one 7 cell grade 3 and two 6 cell grade 3. My RE told me I can attempt a frozen transfer but the odds are decreased since the embies aren't as good. Our other choice would be to start fresh and do another stimulation cycle plus pgd screening. He pretty much told me it was up to me based on a financial and,emotional standpoint. I'm torn at what to do as this is all out of pocket costs. Anybody have success with day 3 six,cell embies that were fragmented grade 3? I seem to only be seeing frozen transfers with 5 day embryos.

Re: Fet or start fresh

• HBamama2BHBamama2B member
    edited November 2015
    3day transfers can often be successful too! Some embryos that aren't doing well by day 3 do much better in your body.

As for a fresh cycle, why the PGD? Do you mind me asking your age and how many IVF cycles you've had? Depending on those factors, you could ditch the PGD testing and use that money for a FET cycle first, then try a full cycle if the FET didn't take.
  • @HBamama2B I'm 35. No issues with DH and I have unexplained infertility diagnosis. RE said my labs are all in normal range... But maybe on the lower end (in terms of,ovarian reserve) for my age group. We had 12 follicles... 10 eggs retrieved but only 5 fertilized normally. Since our first fresh off cycle (transfer Day 3) wasn't successful and those embryos looked better than our frozens I'm in limbo. RE recommended pgd if we were to do another fresh because he was expecting a higher fertilization rate for us. This was our first ivf attempt. Definitely leaning towards doing a frozen because it's easier on the body and just hoping they stick.
  • Loading the player...
  • GL! Yes, it is def easier on the body and pocketbook. It will also help you to make the decision about PGD for your next cycle if it doesn't take since otherwise you are borderline.

Yes, 5 of 10 is lower than one would hope for, sorry to hear that. Hope your FET takes (FX for you!!!) and if not, that the next cycle provides that BFP/answers.