June 2015 Moms
Options

Politics

Thread for all things political.... Thoughts? Opinions? Let's hear them and discuss!

Re: Politics

• Options
    I'll jump in with an idea

Who's thinking about their votes for prez, and why?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am naturally drawn to Ben Carson... I like that he is a surgeon (and at the same time realize this has zero to do with one's ability to run a country). He seems to be down to earth, smart, and approachable which I like and I tend to agree with almost everything he says (or at least what I read on Facebook because I don't want to pretend I am political).
  • Options
    mellymar said:

I'm all for feel the Bern

Because he walks to work and flies coach. And he's been talking about the same stuff for like 20 years.

If only his name wasn't Bernie. I just struggle with "President Bernie" We'll have to re-formalize the title for our least formal candidate. Last names only.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Bernie's mom should really have consulted the name board

Perhaps Bernee would have been better.... Oh boy I think we are getting away from the point of this thread and I keep making it worse!
  • Options
    Yes yes yes to what @virginiaunicorn11 said!!! My mom's boss (super involved in politics) kept asking me if my husband was going to vote and telling me to make him vote. (I'm not an American citizen yet so I can't vote) but I was just like, you don't WANT him to vote!! He doesn't KNOW anything and he'll just vote to vote!

It's so sad because it's such an important decision and like you said, the common voter just doesn't know enough.
  • Options
    I want to preface this that I do not feel like I am completely informed on all things politics. Ok, I tend to lean to the left on all things social, but struggle with the fiscal side. I also am team feel the Bern. Some of his ideals are a little too liberal for me, but his voting record is pretty consistent, and he doesn't seem to waver on his stances. That being said, this whole Isis thing has thrown me for a loop. I am all for helping people out, especially when there are children involved, but I can't help but fear for my own families safety. My husband travels to the city every day for work. I can't stand the thought of losing him because we opened our doors to help, but wound up letting terrorists in along the way. I know it's not as simple as that. I have many Syrian children that go to my school. They talk about the violence in their country, and how the U.S. has become a home where they feel safe. No child should have to live in fear, but again neither should I. Sooooo, long story short. I lean left, but worry about the open doors policy of the Democratic Party with the developments in terrorism.
  • Options
    I for one am never going to be ok with losing my right to vote and worry that some form of elected or "chosen" (even scarier) group of reps should never be given the right to make decisions for the country because eventually it would probably be a system of buying votes like we see to often with elected officials... Or the nepotism that is often seen on the local political scene... I think I downplay my ability to read and understand politics because I feel it keeps me at a safe distance from people who get heated in politics so I am sort of like "yeah I sort of like that guy" without getting into these massive political debates that have taken up residence on my fb newsfeed. I realize this may make me appear to be on of those uneducated voters and I need to stop doing that! Either way we all have a right to vote but people should try to make themselves more educated .... Funny example a family member was shocked when I told them I just don't vote down party lines lol.... I was like well each candidate matters in what they say and what their plans are lol
  • Options
    ElRubyElRuby member
    edited November 2015
    @cait7425 I understand what you are saying.... Although I have always voted Republican, for President, I find myself often in the middle of party lines... I am very liberal on many social issues but I can't get on board with the democrats' policy in many other issues and frankly the current administration seems so very anti-American. Like we are supposed to be ashamed to put our own families and citizens first.
  • Options
    ^ exactly. It breaks my heart to see these families and innocent people in need. They are terrified, but when do you say enough is enough? We need to worry about our people at some point too. I wish there was a better way, but they can fingerprint and background check all they like. Many of the terrorist behind the Paris attacks had no criminal history. You know what actually makes me feel a little better? The fact that anonymous is on the hunt.
  • Options
    @ashleymc09 I too find myself a bit of a conspiracy theorist .... The specifics of which I will save for another day or keep them tucked away safely in my brain ;)
  • Options
    ^ Are they even safe there?? Just kidding, yeah it can get dangerous..I completely understand and I'm keeping mine in my mind also lol.
  • Options
    Terrorism aside (because yes obviously the majority of refugees are not terrorists) what are the logistics of the plan to bring all those refugees here? For me, it doesn't make sense when we have a very big homeless population here... And not saying American children are more important than Syrian children, but the American government has a responsibility first to its one citizens. So to the government they should be more important from a resource perspective.

So this is actually a real question and not a snarky observation for those more informed than me on this matter... Where exactly are they living and how are they earning a living etc?
  • Options
    Yeah I agree with both sides of the debate on this issue, but it seems like all you hear about from politicians is their either for it or against it, nobody seems to want to work together to come up with an actual solution to the entire problem that is best for the US and for the world. I guess that would take too much time and work lol.
  • Options
    ElRubyElRuby member
    edited November 2015
    My only problem with marijuana is the smell and smoke which can directly affect my quality of life (I vehemently oppose all public smoking so this extends to cigarettes as well)... I have a friend who shares a wall in a condo and is constantly dealing with the odor from his neighbors (similar to many of our college experiences I am sure) so for me that is where it gets tricky because I really love fresh air ... Otherwise smoke away just don't let me smell it!
  • Options
    See, this is why I enjoy hearing opposing opinions. Like I said, I am not as informed and involved in politics as I feel I should be. Hearing different views opens my mind and helps me become more informed. It's a shame that everything in politics seems to be black or white. Democrat or republican. I agree that helping those less fortunate should be a priority. I also know that the majority of refugees are not aiming to hurt us. However, I do worry about safety. We, as a country, need to figure out how to provide safety to everyone involved.
  • Options
    @Sammy K before I could really meaningfully contribute to the conversation of what to do with the refugees I would really like to hear what the actual plan is once they get here. Since it is a government and not a church related plan, I would imagine they have a comprehensive plan .... Or not.
  • Options
    @Sammy K haha good point.... But I am thinking very simplistic like where are they sleeping the first night they get here... Like as in actual plan not a hope for good will.
  • Options
    Have you guys heard about Humans Of New York? They did a whole thing on Syrian refugees in Greece. It blew my mind. I cried so hard.

I am so torn about what I believe should happen. My heart is so broken for these people and I want to welcome them here. At the same time, I worry for my safety, the safety of my family, and the safety of the average Joe. I read a post that said "if there was a bowl full of M&Ms and 10 were poisoned, would you take a handful?"

• Options
    (Thank you @konacoffeebean that was the other thing I meant to add).
  • Options
    I appreciate this discussion.

It's obvious there are many different viewpoints here, but both sides bring up rational, valid points and questions.

I'm smart enough to know that I don't know enough about it to discuss complex issues like this. I don't have the time to really delve into the details and figure out my stance, with anything other than a gut reaction.

What drives me crazy, with anything political,
    are the people who don't actually understand the nuances to the problem. They hear some sound bite on Fox News or MSNBC, take that for fact, and spew their ignorance around. Or they "like" all the one-sided memes or articles on Facebook.

I actually admire the crazy zealots (on either side) because at lest they understand their position and have reasons for it.
  • Options
    This is why I love my husband. He is a history teacher, and one of the smartest people I know. He also has compassion and logic. He poses his thoughts to me in a very non confrontational logical way that I can understand and consider. His thoughts on refugees:

We, as a nation, are considered a world leader. How can we turn our backs on people in need and still considered ourselves as such? Fear grips people, and innocents die in the process. What will it take to look back on mistakes in the past (the holocaust, Stalin) and learn from them before thousands or millions die? Is the possible risk of 100 American lives worth the possibility of saving thousands of Syrian lives? Are our lives worth more than theirs?

I guess it just hits close to home with me, because I don't think of it as a country risk. I hear them mention the possibility that NYC is next, and I picture my husband, father of my daughter, traveling by mass transit into the city every day. I do have to consider those people in need and put myself in their shoes. I would be terrified if I were one of those mothers trying to save my family by fleeing to a different country, and they wouldn't let me in.