Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Just short of 1 yr requirement for mat leave - advice?

My company is out of state and I work from home in California. My employer had no maternity policy other than FMLA - all unpaid. However, they just introduced 12 weeks 100% paid maternity leave for 2016. I fall just short of the 1 year mark (I wasn't expecting to ever be able to get pregnant after failing IF, so this was a very happy surprise). I'm eligible for CA disability, unlike the other employees, and I know that the company is at least partially funding the 100% pay. I was wondering if I should ask HR if they could supplement the part they pay since I waive medical coverage and several other benefits? How would I go about asking? I've actually never talked to HR before.

Re: Just short of 1 yr requirement for mat leave - advice?

• The smaller your company the more likely they are to make the exception. Your manager should be able to provide you with an HR contact, and you can ask what maternity leave you are eligible for. Once they have explained it, ask about the new policy and see if there can be an exception, but I wouldn't count on it. The CA leave is paid at approximately 55% and is not employer supplemented beyond that unless they choose to, which should be in their current policies.

When you say you are just shy of 1 year at your company, how close is your EDD cutting it exactly? Just curious.
  • I'm a couple of months shy. I haven't heard back from HR - they went from zero policy (as in nothing written in the handbook) to 2 lines - 100% paid leave for 12 weeks, must be employed 1 year and return to work for 6 months after. That's it. It's a small company about 500 people and I'm the only female employee in California.
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm a couple of months shy. I haven't heard back from HR - they went from zero policy (as in nothing written in the handbook) to 2 lines - 100% paid leave for 12 weeks, must be employed 1 year and return to work for 6 months after. That's it. It's a small company about 500 people and I'm the only female employee in California.

With it being a small company and you being the only female employee in the state, you might be more likely for the company to adjust for you. However I wouldn't bet on it. But talking to your HR department is definitely worth a shot. Maybe you can work out something with them that works for everyone.
  • Yes, that's what I was thinking. They seem to be amenable to working stuff out. A coworker had a very ill daughter in the hospital this year for weeks and they didn't force him to take leave (I think she was in the hospital for at least 6 weeks). I have a very flexible job, so I think I'll be fine. I've just never asked for anything like this. Due to the salary caps, the CA benefits amount to 25-30% of my pay, so it would be financially difficult to take an entire 4 months off on just that.