June 2016 Moms
Options

Nothing like almost passing out at the doctors office

Had my 10 week check up this morning. Normally i do fine with needles and things, but today was not so good. It was at 10am. My blood pressure was already low, I hadn't had the chance to eat since breakfast at 7am, and I had to sit waiting for a while. They sent me to get blood taken, and the nurse missed, collapsed my vain, wiggled the needle around to try to get more blood out, and finally had to get the other nurse to come do a new needle and take 2 more vials full of blood.

I almost didn't make it too the waiting area before I slumped in a chair. Luckily I had some crackers in my bag and I was able to make it out of there with some dignity intact (although I'm sure I looked pale as a ghost while I was checking out). So embarrassing!

Let's hope this isn't a recurring problem this pregnancy!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Nothing like almost passing out at the doctors office

• Options
    Oh no! Poor you!! Did you recover ok after that??
  • Options
    I'm so terrified of that happening because it happened to me before! I have an irrational fear of needles going into my skin, once they're in I'm fine to watch which always cracks them up. That paired with low blood pressure makes me very prone to passing out because my blood pressure spikes from stress, then plummets once the needle is in.

I warn the phlebotomist before the draw that I've passed out before and ask them to lay down instead of sitting up which helps. They'll usually let me lay down until I'm sure I'm okay after the draw too.

Hope you don't have to deal with this again, it really is no fun and quite embarrassing.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I got some cookies from the vending machine in the parking garage, which helped. (Nice excuse to eat sugar, haha). My head still hurts though :(

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Eek! The whole collapsed vein thing and all that poking would have had me FREAKING OUT! I'm impressed you didn't pass out right then and there! For future blood draws, I like the idea of lying down. And also, maybe making sure your prenatal has iron in it.  

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I used to have this problem all the time. My blood sugar would drop at any blood draw or shot. I started taking a hard candy with me whenever I knew it was coming. I will pop it in right before the draw. It has made a world of difference for me. I'm glad you were able to grab some cookies to being it back up and get out of there ok!

babysizercom pregnancy ticker

• Options
    I agree with PP. I actually did pass out at my 10 week appointment because of the blood draw. Just make sure to tell then this has happened when you get your next draw and they will most likely let you lie down. Passing out is no fun and sooooo embarrassing!
  • Options
    I can so relate to this! I used to be terrified of getting blood drawn. On one occasion I curled up into the fetal position so the nurse couldn't get close. I was so shaken up after she took blood I walked into a glass door. I now have a new weapon anaesthetic cream ( called emla in uk) I don't care if the use it for babies, it makes the whole process more bearable. Have bloods tomorrow but it's going to be fine......sigh.
  • Options
    I second the suggestion to lie down while having the blood drawn. If you are in a chair, slump down as far as you can without falling out. And I've found that dabbing a damp, cool/cold towel (or paper towel) on my face and neck with my other hand while having the blood drawn can be a lifesaver. And really kind nurses who know in advance that you are prone to passing out will often keep you talking as a distraction, which helps immensely. Of course, the whole collapsed-vein-and-jiggling-the-needle-around bit makes me a little lightheaded just thinking about it, so I'm not sure these strategies are guaranteed to work in all situations.
  • Options
    Yikes!!! I hope you don't get that nurse again!!! My 10 appt the wretched woman drawing my blood collapsed my vein and kept digging around. It hurt for a good hour after, left a huge welt, and The bruise is barely going away in time for my appointment tomorrow (after two weeks!!). If it's the same person I will politely ask for someone else.

I can't watch when I get blood draws, so I was looking over at my husband. The look on his face while the nurse was digging around in my arm really freaked me out.

I hope your next blood draws are a lot better!!! And keep bringing snacks with you and maybe even some juice boxes.
  • Options
    You need to tell them next time you go in. I've had issues with passing out most of my life, but it got really bad with my last pregnancy. I passed out a few times at appointments and ultimately ended up with a heart monitor because of it. >.< But the good news is, you should be able to get your blood drawn lying down from now on! And free juice yay. 
  • Options
    A woman passed out at my OBs office during my first pregnancy. The nurses said it happens all the time!!! How scary!!
    Hope you're feeling better!
    April Sig Challenge: Why my kid is crying

Pregnancy Ticker