December 2015 Moms

6 pound baby at 33 weeks!?

mistyheltomistyhelto member
edited November 2015 in December 2015 Moms
I just had an ultrasound on nov 11th which was also the day I turned 33 weeks and the dr asked me if I had GD which I don't! Because I guess GD parents tend to have larger babies? Typically at 33 weeks baby should be 4 maybe 5 pounds? And he said my baby was almost 6 pounds. Is this normal? Am I having a monster baby!??

Re: 6 pound baby at 33 weeks!?

• Just know it's an estimate not for sure.
  • Loading the player...
  • As pp have said, growth scans can be off by a lot or a little in either direction. Also, babies grow at varying rates at this point in pregnancy - your little one may be on the high end of the growth curve at 33wks but then taper off and be right on track or small by the time you hit 39wks. It's just something your care team will be aware of and may monitor to see where on the curve your LO is at closer to delivery.
  • I have GD and weekly US(biophysicals) my OB won't even do growth US because they extremely inaccurate.
  • I have GD.  Or just D.  I have by weekly apointments and at 33 weeks my baby was also estimated at 6lbs.  Which is in the 90% ish percentile.  They were not concerned.  Although I may be :/ 

• Some people just make big babies. I do. DS at 36 weeks measures 7lbs 6oz and was 8lbs 10oz when he was born at 38 weeks. This one was 5lbs 14oz at 32 weeks and then 7lbs 14oz at 36 weeks. The Drs are projecting that he will be over 9lbs. My dr I have now will deliver him at 39 weeks.
  • At 33 weeks my son measured 8 lbs 11 oz. I have GD. US tech said generally after 36 weeks it's give or take a pound on the weight guess. But at 33 weeks?? Either way he's still a very large baby. I'm supposed to get a c section at 36 weeks due to his size.
  • Estimates that say baby is probably this big at week "x" are most likely based on the 50th percentile for size...but depending on baby's genetics baby will follow his/her own curve. If you and DH are tall and above the 75th percentile for height it is normal for baby to be around the same curve and if you're both small baby will likely be smaller. My OB asked about GD too because baby is "big"(I don't have GD)--baby is at the 75th, heights in my family are actually closer to the 90th...so I'd be shocked if I had a baby below the 75th since DH is tall too. As far as having to push out a big baby, I'm focusing on the fact that the head size will be the hard part and I'm not asking the percentile for that ;)
  • kcas123kcas123 member
    edited November 2015
    I just delivered a 5 pound 12 oz 33 weeker last night!! So I'm sure it's possible!!
  • I know there are other threads about this, so I will be brief. At 33 weeks LO was 6lbs 3oz. They told me it could be 1 lb off either way, which is still above 90th percentile. I'm GD negative. My mom had huge babies that she was able to deliver. My Dr is not concerned yet about his size because we won't know IF I can deliver until it's time. I am scheduled for a second scan though at 38 weeks so they can monitor baby's growth. That being said, there's nothing you can do about your LOs size so I wouldn't stress about it. Just make your wishes VERY clear about delivery, mine are I want no intervention (induction or c-section) unless absolutely needed.
  • I had an ultrasound at 34wks 5 days and my lo was 6lbs 8oz. The ultra sound tech said to expect a 8lb 8oz baby if i go to term but my ob said she thinks he will be more like 7lbs 15oz and she said she is normally right. My first born was 8lbs 4oz at 41wks 3 days and my second was 7lbs at 40wks 4days. I never had an ultrasound so late in pregnancy before so i dont have anything to compare this one to. I was surprised at his size before 35 wks. I am hoping for lo to be undwr 8 lbs just because i dont want him not to fit in all his nb clothes and diapers!
  • hplunkett2883hplunkett2883 member
    edited November 2015
    TomekiaB said:

Estimates that say baby is probably this big at week "x" are most likely based on the 50th percentile for size...but depending on baby's genetics baby will follow his/her own curve. If you and DH are tall and above the 75th percentile for height it is normal for baby to be around the same curve and if you're both small baby will likely be smaller. My OB asked about GD too because baby is "big"(I don't have GD)--baby is at the 75th, heights in my family are actually closer to the 90th...so I'd be shocked if I had a baby below the 75th since DH is tall too. As far as having to push out a big baby, I'm focusing on the fact that the head size will be the hard part and I'm not asking the percentile for that ;)

Actually the shoulders are what are the hardest to deliver. Head can pop out and then they can get stuck at the shoulders resulting in broken collar bones, excessive bruising, etc. When delivering my DS at 9 lb 9 oz I pushed the longest to get his shoulders out. That is the concern for this baby too being so big. That's why they are talking c section this time.

ETA that big babies run in my family. My niece was 10 pounds and ended up with a broken collar bone.
  • @hpunkett2883 I actually mentioned I was concerned about head and shoulders on the last thread about size. Do they measure a percentile for shoulders? My family is tall but we don't have wide shoulders.
  • TomekiaB said:

@hpunkett2883 I actually mentioned I was concerned about head and shoulders on the last thread about size. Do they measure a percentile for shoulders? My family is tall but we don't have wide shoulders.

I've only seen them measure head, abdomen, and legs. And I've had about 5 growth scans this pregnancy.