July 2016 Moms

Tea Options

I am a big tea drinker, but I know I should be cutting back on caffeine.  Coffee was easier to quit!  I had been drinking a caffeine-free substitute, until I found out that it was chock-full of chicory, which is probably worse!  I've got a few other good substitutes (peppermint, lemon ginger, etc), but they're not quite as satisfying as the regular stuff.  Any recommendations?
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Tea Options

• I'm trying to wean myself off coffee and black tea, so I'd be interested what others have to say too.

Tazo passion fruit is super yummy. Double check the ingredients are safe during pregnancy but it doesn't have caffeine at least. I think the tazo boxes have a caffeine indicator on it so you can try to find one with lower caffeine.

I will start drinking red raspberry tea in second trimester, but it isn't recommended for 1st tri.
    TTGP December Siggy Challenge: Favourite Holiday Movie Moment

• I love tea, so I'm also interested to see what suggestions others may post. I've been drinking an organic ginger tea lately.
  • Loading the player...
  • Ginger tea got me through my last pregnancy, as I had morning sickness until the day I delivered my LO. This time around I switched from my favourite Twinings Earl Grey tea to Twinings Decaf Earl Grey. It tastes exactly the same to me.
  • Most black teas are okay. Caffeine is also okay; the recommended amount is below 200mg and a cup of tea only has about 40-50g. Stay away from green tea and red raspberry leaf in first tri. I've also heard that chamomile is not recommended.
  • Cinnamon spice tea! Idk why, maybe because it's so flavorful, but I found it to be especially satisfying. Yeah the mint and lemon and ginger don't cut it for me either. I really miss my pot of jasmine green but I'm avoiding all caffeine :\
  • I've been drinking decaf black tea or tazo passion tea (also decaf). I think those are fine but someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Married: October 23, 2010

DS: 8/7/2013

#2 EDD: 6/29/2016, C Section: 6/22/2016

• I have a super sensitive stomach (even before pregnancy) and my life revolves around Bigelow Ginger Lemon tea with probiotics.  I haven't yet spoken with my doctor about probiotics and pregnancy, but I'm crossing my fingers that I can continue to drink this tea.  It is FANTASTIC for curing nausea. Teavana's Mint Majesty tea is pretty delicious too :)

I was also drinking Red Raspberry Leaf while TTC and will be drinking again in 2nd and 3rd trimesters...has sort of the bitterness you get from coffee but a nice sweetness from the Raspberry. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Why isn't Green recommended? Just because of the caffeine?
  • I cut out coffee and replaced with tea and am slowly lowering the caffeine intake. Right now I'm drinking a mix of yerba mate (higher in caffeine, but a cup by itself is still only about 80 mg, and I'm cutting it at least in half) and teavana's samurai chai mate.

I'm going to my dr Friday and I hope she won't tell me I have to quit it. 
  • I just got this decaf green tea at Whole Foods, very good. I also still drink about a cup of coffee a day or sometimes more if I have decaf, as I did last pregnacy, no problem.

No way could I totally eliminate caffeine!
    DD1: Born January 2013
    DD2: Due July 12, 2016
    Two rescue dogs 

BabyFruit Ticker

July 2016 - July Siggy: Weird Hot Dog Situations
  • I love the mint majesty from teavana as well, and would drink 2-3 cups a day- before my bfp. Now everything I've read online has made me quit for the time being :( I've sealed it up so o can finish enjoying it in July!
  • RachelT1234RachelT1234 member
    edited November 2015
    @S&DSwenson, I just checked my Ovia app. It gave a warning, but only due to the caffeine.
  • This is why I'm refraining  from Green Tea until I speak with my OB:

Some doctors are concerned that too much green tea may affect the body's folic acid (also called folate) levels. Folic acid is an important nutrient during pregnancy. One study linked neural tube defects in babies, such as spina bifida, to women drinking a large amount of green tea at around the time of conception. Spina bifida is a serious condition, which occurs when the tube around the central nervous system, called the neural tube, fails to close completely. Neural tube defects such as spina bifida are usually associated with folic acid deficiency. 

The data for this study is very weak, so it is too soon to say that avoiding green tea during pregnancy will reduce the risk of neural tube defects, but more research is needed. 
  • This is why I'm refraining  from Green Tea until I speak with my OB:

Some doctors are concerned that too much green tea may affect the body's folic acid (also called folate) levels. Folic acid is an important nutrient during pregnancy. One study linked neural tube defects in babies, such as spina bifida, to women drinking a large amount of green tea at around the time of conception. Spina bifida is a serious condition, which occurs when the tube around the central nervous system, called the neural tube, fails to close completely. Neural tube defects such as spina bifida are usually associated with folic acid deficiency. 

The data for this study is very weak, so it is too soon to say that avoiding green tea during pregnancy will reduce the risk of neural tube defects, but more research is needed. 
    Interesting, thanks for sharing @dolewhipper. Sounds like moderation is key. I only have a cup every other day or so.
    DD1: Born January 2013
    DD2: Due July 12, 2016
    Two rescue dogs 

BabyFruit Ticker

July 2016 - July Siggy: Weird Hot Dog Situations
  • Ladies, is unsweetened iced tea okay?
  • Ladies, is unsweetened iced tea okay?
    I'm assuming you mean black tea? Should be. Black teas have the highest caffeine levels (typically) so just be sure to watch that.
  • Why isn't Green recommended? Just because of the caffeine?

It inhibits the absorption of folic acid, which is very important for baby in first tri.
  • acadia07 said:
    Why isn't Green recommended? Just because of the caffeine?
    It inhibits the absorption of folic acid, which is very important for baby in first tri.
    The jury's still out on that one; you may need to drink something like 20 cups a day in order for that to happen. They still haven't done enough studies on it.

I'm just not drinking it until my first dr appt.
  • SMLEUSMLEU member
    edited November 2015
    @brielle330 Just curious why you stopped drinking the mint majesty...is there caffeine in that one too? Might cry...lol.

@dolewhipper just had to say I love the name lol
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm a huge tea drinker myself!! My personal favourite is one bag of organic earl grey and one bag of Mediterranean mint (it has orange peels in it). Soooo good. I drink it with a little milk and honey. The earl grey does have caffeine in it so you could replace it with any other black tea, but honestly it's very little; around 24-40mgs depending on what brand you use. I use Mighty Leaf just cause it's what we have at work and I can have it for free haha.

I also really love vanilla Rooibos! Delicious
  • @SMLEU Mainly because there is such divided information on herbal teas, and what effect (if any) they have on development. I'd rather be TOO cautious- plus I'm trying to hit my water goal every day and slowly sipping tea won't cut it!