January 2016 Moms
Options

Gestational diabetes and Cold medicine

So, I woke up with a really nasty cold. I usually only take cold medicine in the evenings so I can sleep better when I'm sick. Usually throughout the day I'll just sip on hot tea and keep hydrated with water. Anyways, woke up with a nasty cold and I feel miserable. I'm 32 weeks and I have gestational diabetes. Took a look at my approved meds list and saw I can take either Sudafed or Tylenol Cold meds. I have Sudafed in the house and took a dose. My sugar level 2hrs after taking a dose was 187. I had a healthy lunch so I was expecting around 112 or so. Could this be caused by the cold medicine? Does cold medicine causes sugar levels to rise? Definitely bringing this up to my dr tomorrow, but wanted in put from others who may have experienced this.

Re: Gestational diabetes and Cold medicine

• Options
    Lurker. I believe Sudafed has a small bit of alcohol in it, right? Safe for pregnancy, but even a tiny bit of alcohol can make our sugars spike when we have GD. I would switch to Tylenol Cold if possible for today, and talk to your doctor tomorrow.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I have no idea about the alcohol part. I'll just take Tylenol and see what the dr. Says. Thanks for in put :-)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I read somewhere that if you are not feeling well you get high blood sugar levels
  • Options
    Just make sure you don't get any mint flavored cold medicine bc it does have some alcohol and sugar, which can cause the spike.
  • Options
    If you have an infection, your blood sugar will go up. It has nothing to do with the medication. I'm a type 1 diabetic so I know from experience.
  • Options
    Yes, cold medicine can make your blood sugars increase along with an infection (as mentioned above). There are sugar free cold medicine otc. Even cough drops will cause you're blood glucose to increase.
    (Im a clinical pharmacist with a speciality in diabetes)
  • Options
    Take a sugar free cold medicine.
  • Options
    Spoken to my doctor and she said the Sudafed cold medicine shouldn't effect my sugar but definitely being sick in general can make it rise. Told me to continue the meds, stay hydrated and rest when I can. :-)