Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Cloth Diaper vs. Disposable

Anyone have any thoughts? I'd like to try the cloth route but need to do a little research first. Starting with this post!

Re: Cloth Diaper vs. Disposable

• There's a cloth diaper board you should check out!

• Way too much work for me. I suggest not doing it the first three mos at least. You'll be so tired. Do you really want to do more laundry?!
  • Loading the player...
  • Baby'smom said:
    Way too much work for me. I suggest not doing it the first three mos at least. You'll be so tired. Do you really want to do more laundry?!

This is true. You are changing diapers like 8-10 times a day AND you are exhausted.

I've also heard from friends who did it that they had to take disposables to daycare/nanny because no one wanted to deal with cloth. Just some things to think about.

• We're doing cloth, honestly it is more laundry, but the way cloth diapers are today, is really not that much more work than disposable (we have mostly pocket diapers). I'd suggest going to a store near you that sells cloth diapers so you can check out the different styles and see if you're interested.
  • We do prefolds/inserts and honestly while it is more laundry I don't find it to be more work. With disposables you're supposed to put the poop in the toilet anyway (almost no one that uses disposables does though). Our first DD was cloth diapered and we had no issue what so ever with the daycare taking the diapers. She also potty trained for just after 2 years as she hated being wet/dirty. We bought enough diapers to do them every 3rd day, so as far as extra laundry it was an extra load which went on twice in our HE front loader. It saved us a fortune in diaper costs, and our new LO (who is 3 weeks on Saturday) is cloth diapered. Even more savings.
    We never had an issue with diaper rash with our first and honestly I would recommend cloth diapers to anyone. The way they are now they are almost as easy as disposables. 
  • I'm a FTM and have my son in cloth. We started in cloth at the 1 month mark after his circumcision had healed. We have about 8 all-in-ones, and then about 28 liners that we use with covers (I think we have 10 covers). Our covers and liners are Funky Fluff brand and our all-in-ones are cheapies bought online from China. All together this stash cost us about $200. (I didn't buy it all in one shot). I use 2-3 disposables through the night as we have lots we received as gifts and use cloth during the day. I wash every 4 days. I haven't had any issues with washing and don't find it to be any more work than taking the garbage our after filling it with disposables! I mean all I'm doing is dumping them in and pressing a button.

Pros and cons for me...

Pros
    - Eco friendly
    - long term cost savings
    - super cute!
    - no diaper rashes
    - very absorbent
    - good for potty training later on
    - less garbage

Cons
    - a bit more bulky so I find he needs longer onesies to be comfortable

I'm honestly so happy with our decision to cloth diaper!
  • I decided to use cloth on my third child and am absolutely loving it. We use pocket style so they are very easy for others to use as well. It is only two loads of laundry per week in diapers so not that much more work. I wish I would have used cloth with all of my children!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • How do you check if they are wet? I usually squeeze DSs diaper to check... I have cloth diapers and inserts but haven't used them yet because they are huge! DS may start to fit into them soon so I was wondering how to tell when to change the insert.
  • We are doing cloth and I haven't found it to be too much work but I'm s huge geek and had fun researching all the different kinds.
    If you don't have time to read up on them, go to YouTube and search "cloth diaper reviews" jot down any brands that sound like they are a good fit. I had so much fun ordering them online!

We used them from day 1 because a friend of mine lent me a set of newborn gDiapers (an overpriced brand you should avoid) that were too small for her boy.

Buy enough so you don't have to do laundry every day and get a good quality lidded trash can. In the smallest size I'd recommend ten to fifteen covers and twenty or so prefolds.

• Buy enough so you don't have to do laundry every day and get a good quality lidded trash can. In the smallest size I'd recommend ten to fifteen covers and twenty or so prefolds.

We use the Ubbi diaper pail for our disposables, but they make a liner for cloth diapers as well. I don't notice any smell at all except when I open it to empty it!