Babies: 0 - 3 Months

When baby sleeps...Do you wake up to pump

I'm going back to work and thankfully my LO is starting to sleep @ 6 hours. Should I keep waking up to pump/feed or stay asleep? I don't want to lessen my production, especially since I'm not sure how frequently I'll be able to pump at work. Any advice is appreciated!

Re: When baby sleeps...Do you wake up to pump

• Following this as I have the same question!
  • I get up when it hurts, but if it didn't then I'd definitely choose sleep.
  • Loading the player...
  • I get up when it hurts, but if it didn't then I'd definitely choose sleep.

This. Unless you are trying to build stash, I would only pump if baby is taking a feeding from a bottle.
    Married DH 08.28.10
    Pregnancy #1: BFP 04.10.11 EDD 12.23.11 DD1 Born 12.4.11
     Pregnancy #2: BFP 5.12.14 MC 5.20.14 @ 5wk4d
    Pregnancy #3: BFP 11.1.14 EDD 7.5.15 MC 11.13.14 @ 6wk4d
    Pregnancy #4: BFP 1.31.15 EDD 10.5.15 DD2 Born 9.23.15

• tracij12 said:

I get up when it hurts, but if it didn't then I'd definitely choose sleep.

This. Unless you are trying to build stash, I would only pump if baby is taking a feeding from a bottle.
    This. I got up to pump during leave to get a stash going and now I only get up if I'm in pain. I will pump before bed so that I gave a better chance of making it through the night if LO does.

If your biggest stretch of sleep is only 6 hours I would try to not pump unless in pain. At 4.5 months, LO goes down around 7 and will either STTN or get up to eat sometime between 330 and 430. So tgat would be at least 8 hours for me. If I pump around 9 I can make it to my alarm at 5 if LO stays asleep, with relatively minor discomfort.
  • I do. I think it depends on a few things. How comfortable with your supply you are, whether or not you get plugged ducts easily, etc. I have the plugged duct issue and can only really go about three hours between pumps without running the risk of plugs. But I'm trying to wean myself to four hours in between in the next couple weeks. The benefit to it is that I have extra milk!