Illinois Babies

New to Chicago- what does daycare or nanny cost here?

New to Chicago and I am starting to think about daycare vs nanny vs nanny share for my April baby. 

I have begun looking at daycare centers and they are running $20-$27K a year for 5 days a week. I am guessing that's the norm? 

What should I expect for nanny and nanny share? 

Re: New to Chicago- what does daycare or nanny cost here?

• It really depends on who you find and where you live. The nannies I've had are $12 an hour for just one, but I know others who have found people happy to work for $10. Nanny share is the absolute best way to go! For your part, you can expect around $7.
    www.facebook.com/yofiphotography
  • Depends on what area you live in.  I live on the NW side and pay about $1200/month for an in-home daycare.  Hard to find a daycare center around here that takes infants though.
    Baby J #2 due 11.12.16
    Sydney Elizabeth born 9.24.14

• Loading the player...
  • Are you in the city proper? I will say there is a wide range in the suburbs. When DS was a toddler we paid about $325 a week at a center in Naperville that was great but did not take infants. In LaGrange we found a place that was about the same price. Now DS is pre-k and we pay $210 a week at our center in Brookfield (somehow a fabulous place that is cheaper than the competition!). Our baby will cost $310 a week; they are one of the rare places that takes infants. If you or your DH have the option through work with a pre-tax account, use that. We have it so $5,000/year we pay straight to daycare pre-tax which saves a good amount also.