August 2015 Moms
Options

Hand Foot and Mouth Disease

Good morning to you all!  I have a quick question.  So yesterday I dropped off my son at his daycare.  As I was dropping him off I noticed signs stating that there was an outbreak of Hand, Foot and mouth disease and so naturally I inquired about it.  She (One of the providers) informed me that a few of the older kids got it and while they are not at the daycare presently they were still taking precautions and sanitizing everything.  I did witness one of the staff members wiping down some of their furnishings and such.  Unfortunately, I could not take the day off since it was so last minute so I really had no choice but to drop him off.  They assured me with their precautionary measures that the chances of him contracting it were very slim.  They keep the babies separate from the older kids anyways (12 months and younger).  However, the mom in me is worrying, especially since I am a FTM and I although I have heard of HFM disease I have no experience with dealing with a child with it.  Is this something that is highly contagious?  What should I watch out for with him?  Anything in particular?  If he were to contract it is it something like the common cold?  My husband told me to quit worrying so much and that he will be fine.  I dunno.  Maybe I should listen to my husband for a change.  What do you moms think? :)

Re: Hand Foot and Mouth Disease

• Options
    BTW he is three months going on four and doesn't put anything in his mouth except his hands and sometimes his feet lol.  I made sure I washed them very good once I got home. 
  • Options
    It's just a rash that even if contracted will go away with the right treatment or even just time:) it's really common in kids so I wouldn't stress.... The effects are nothing bad. What is bad are illnesses like the flu which can be deadly in infants
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Actually it isn't, just a rash. It is usually accompanied by a horrible cold, and is all around pretty miserable. That being said, it is a virus and lasts 5-10 days and is pretty common. I worked in a daycare and had a pretty bad case of it.

• Options
    My baby and i both have it. Got it from his step sister day 2 for him day 1 for me
  • Options
    Hello all! Thank you for the replies! It turns out he hasn't gotten it, which is awesome. Sep1315 I hope your baby gets better! And you as well!