New nanny or daycare? — The Bump
Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

New nanny or daycare?

TaraGoldenCOTaraGoldenCO
Third Anniversary 10 Comments Name Dropper Photogenic
edited November 2015 in Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
My 13 mo. old is loosing her nanny at the end of the month. 
Our local daycare, that we really like, said they have a spot for her on Tuesday and Fridays. 

(My mother would be watching her on the other 3 days while we work).  Fridays are good because my husband can pick her up at 3pm and I could pick her up at 4pm on Tuesdays. (She would be dropped off at 8:30).  

We also have a nanny share option that we could do instead.  Although, it is much more expensive, I am not sure what is best for her at this age.    Eventually she will have to go to daycare.  Is delaying starting her in daycare six months a good thing? Should I wait until June or should I take the spot now?  I am worried about her getting enough individual attention and also that the days at the daycare are so spread out from each other.   I am also worried that if I say no to this spot they will not have a sport for her come June.

Re: New nanny or daycare?

• My daughter is 13 months old and I don't want her in daycare yet. I know a lot of parents have their kids in daycare but at this age I'm just not comfortable. I prefer she stay with family as long as possible.

If I were you I'd do the nanny share if it's someone you are comfortable with and take your chances of the daycare not being available in June.

• I would do the daycare.  My 19 month old has been in daycare since she was 6 months old and she loves it.  She knows all the names of the teachers and her friends.  I think socialization is important at 13 months old.  My twins were home with a nanny until 20 months and I can tell my 19 month old's development is much better.  She is learning her letters, colors, shapes, talks a ton and uses the potty ~50% of the time.  I think if it is a good reputable daycare that is much better than staying at home with the same person who may not provide the mental stimulation your daughter might need.  I am sure it depends on the child though.  My daughter would be bored staying at home that long.  And I see now that my twins were bored from staying at home that long.
  • I would do the daycare.  My 19 month old has been in daycare since she was 6 months old and she loves it.  She knows all the names of the teachers and her friends.  I think socialization is important at 13 months old.  My twins were home with a nanny until 20 months and I can tell my 19 month old's development is much better.  She is learning her letters, colors, shapes, talks a ton and uses the potty ~50% of the time.  I think if it is a good reputable daycare that is much better than staying at home with the same person who may not provide the mental stimulation your daughter might need.  I am sure it depends on the child though.  My daughter would be bored staying at home that long.  And I see now that my twins were bored from staying at home that long.

It totally does and I do agree about needing socialization, however, I think a child can get that without needing to be in a daycare.

My son was watched by my cousin until he was almost 2.5 and now at 3.5 he can write, say the alphabet backwards and do basic math. All without being in daycare or in a school until recently. It definitely does depend on the child but mostly what the parent is comfortable with.

• Well it turns out the daycare does not have a spot on the days we need so she will do a nanny share for a few more months.   I know it's different for everyone and that most people who send their kid to daycare are happy with the choice, and I am sure there is extra enrichment by being in that setting, but I think I'm happy with the fact that she will get more individualized care for another six months.  Hopefully the daycare will have a spot for her in June. She will be going to baby library time three days a week, perhaps we can fill the other two days with fun activities outside the house with the nanny and other child. 
    Bigboobsmcgee