Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

Natural miscarriage...TW

A little background first. This was my first pregnancy and first miscarriage. It was a blighted ovum measuring 6 weeks. I found out last Tuesday at 10 weeks. My doctors wanted me to pass it naturally and so did I.

So this weekend on Saturday night I had som cramping and then a rush of blood, went to the bathroom and passed a lot of stuff and had a lot of blood for about 30 minutes and it was done. The blood flow lessened. I thought this was it. It wasn't so bad.

Then fastforward to Sunday night and I started getting waves of pain. I am guessing that's what contractions feel like. It lasted for 4 hours and then finally my miscarriage happened.

I would just like to say holy crap, I had no idea what to expect and it was painful and sucked. Every women who goes through this is amazing. If the physical pain of childbirth is anything like this I may rethink my stance on an epidural.

I'm wondering how many of you thought that the pain felt like contractions/labor? I know some women haven't had children yet, neither have I, but I can only assume that's what it was. It did not feel like just cramps.
TTC#1 July 2015 
  • BFP: 9/16/15 — MC: 11/8/15 Blighted Ovum
  • BFP: 3/10/16 — Baby Girl born 11/20/16
TTC#2 April 2019 
  • BFP: 9/12/19 — EDD 5/15/20

Re: Natural miscarriage...TW

• Sorry for your loss. 
    I just miscarried at 9 weeks, baby measuring just over 6 weeks. I did not experience labor like contractions. My experience was surprisingly not painful, some cramping, but nothing worse than period cramps, other than the emotional devastation I was feeling. I will say though, that I gave birth very easily, so I may not be a good judge of this. 

Like my doctor said when I asked what to expect, "Every body is different". 

Good luck to you while you heal. 
  • I had my mc at 9w2d. First pregnancy. Definitely labor like contractions. The most pain I've ever been in in my entire life. Felt like someone was stabbing me and ripping my insides out.
  • Loading the player...
  • My MC was at almost 6w and I have experienced contractions. It is my first pregnancy but my doctors told me the pain I'd feel would be contractions but that they would be a bit less painful than the ones you get at full term and they could prescribe Norco (I ended up not taking any meds though). I had these and they lasted about 30 seconds every 2 mins like clockwork for a few hours and they were terrible. Right up there with surgery, it was the worst pain I've ever felt. I still don't know if everything has passed so I hope they don't come back!
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I had a natural miscarriage at 11.5 weeks. I had some bleeding/cramping that morning, left work and on the drive (was long--crappy traffic) to my doctor's office had contractions--then passed my baby.
    The pain was horrible, towards the end I finally put things together and realized the last time I had that pain was in labor with my DS.
  • I had my son at 16 weeks and 1 day and holy hell that was horrid. I was at a hospital so I could get all the drugs I wanted but I tried it with gas and panadol. The gas made me feel like crap so I just did it with the panadol.

I wouldn't want an epidural simply because when I was in that much pain all I wanted to do was walk. I had no idea why or where I was going but I just did laps of the room. I ended up having him on the toilet because I couldn't lay in a bed.

This makes me super excited for when I eventually make it to term. Ugghhh.

Little boy due July 31st 2016

• I have a friend who miscarried at 11w and she said the pain was worse than her natural labor with her son. It isn't necessarily the case that labor is worse - some miscarriages can be more painful than labor!
    me 30; DH 35
    TTC since May 2014.
    Aug 2014 BFP, EDD April 22, 2015. Low progesterone, started suppositories. Loss at 5w6d.
    Nov 19, 2015 BFP at 13 dpo, EDD July 29, 2016. MMC discovered 12/29 (9+4). Natural miscarriage 1/16 (12+1).
    AMH results 0.42, 1.2; FSH 12.1, AFC 10, dx DOR. 
    RPL testing results normal. Nurse recommended progesterone suppositories in TWW.
    Clomid + trigger + TI cycle August 2016 - failed. Thin lining.
    Femara + trigger + TI cycle December 2016 - failed. Thin lining.
    Short LP (8 days).
    Acupuncture & Chinese herbs starting January 2017, lengthened LP to 10 days 

Summer 2016 LFAF awards: 

Winter 2016/2017 LFAF awards:

• I am so sorry for everyone's losses. You are all so amazing. I am hoping whenever I do have a baby I will have the strength to remember how I got through this and not get an epidural (I'm not opposed to an IV pain med though).

@kja2011 One of my biggest fears was it happening while I was at work (40 minute commute). I'm sorry that you had to go through that, I can only imagine how terrible the drive was.

@LilLambie All I wanted to do was walk around as well. I was pacing my living room for a while holding a warm towel on my abdomen.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    TTC#2 April 2019 

• Hi there! I just went through my 1st (and I PRAY last) miscarriage on Saturday. Here's my story, maybe it'll make you feel better: At 9 weeks 3 days we went for our first U/S and found no heartbeat, baby measuring 7 weeks. We were told a miscarriage was likely, but to come back in a week to verify no fetal growth. We did, it didn't change. This is when we were told to expect a miscarriage soon. Cramped for 2 weeks pretty regularly, and then at what would be 12 weeks 1 day all hell broke loose. I was having my 3 year old's birthday party and felt a gush. I ran to the bathroom, pad was filled, and a clot the size of a quarter. I changed, got cleaned up, and went back out to sing happy birthday. 5 minutes after that, same feeling. Went to the bathroom and pad, underwear, pants, everthing was covered. I was terrified! Then from that point forward, couldn't get off the toilet for 3 hours, passing clots and tissue from the size of a slug (sorry!) to my hand sized. It slowed down enough to get on the bed to call the doc, and within 20 minutes, back again, the same thing. The whole process lasted about 7 hours. The next morning and for the last 2 days, it's like the first couple days of a period as far as flow, only 1 quarter sized clot passed. I have an appt thurs but I've talked to my doc and she says it sounds normal to have an "episode" like that. She said some women pass a little over a long period of time, some women do it all at once. 
  • I had a miscarriage at 10 weeks 4 days, when in for a normal appointment and found out the baby's heart stopped at 9 weeks. My natural miscarriage didn't start for a another week, I past most of everything in the middle of the night I woke up in a lot of pain then when to the bathroom and passed the placenta. it's been two weeks now and I'm still bleeding some. I hated having a natural miscarriage not because of the pain but because of the toll it takes on you emotionally.
  • @jessiesquirrel I agree the emotional aspect is the hardest. I am thankful only had to wait less than a week after I found out. But emotionally it was a tough week.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    TTC#2 April 2019 

• I'm so sorry for your loss. My mc have contractions that were consistent with stage 1 of labor. Labor and Delivery of a baby is definitely more painful than mc of an embryo in my multiple experiences of both.