Boston Babies
Options

Where to deliver?

I'm just wondering where moms-to-be are delivering and/or any experiences to be shared. I'm pregnant and due in May and am currently slated to deliver at Mt. Auburn. I am not the biggest fan of how Mt. Auburn is set up (1 of 9 doctors deliver the baby but I would only get to meet 2 of them personally). I was wondering if anyone could share experiences about delivering at Mt. Auburn or any of the Boston-based hospitals. I am interested in switching to a smaller practice (no more than 4-5 OBs) and would love some recommendations.

Re: Where to deliver?

• Options
    I'm delivering at melrose Wakefield
  • Options
    Most people that live that close to town choose either B&Ws, MGH or BIDMC.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm delivering at Emerson Hospital in Concord.  I had my last baby there 2 years ago and LOVED it.
  • Options
    I delivered at Mt. Auburn and had a great experience! The nurses were wonderful and even though my actual OB did not deliver my baby the Dr who did was great!
  • Options
    I delivered LO1 at BIDMC and had an amazing experience.
    TTC #1: Jun 2014. BFP #1: Jul 18, 2014. DD born Mar 2015.
    TTC #2: Aug 2015. BFP: #2: Nov 9, 2015. EDD: Jul, 21 2015.
    Vow Renewal: July 1, 2017.
  • Options
    I plan to deliver at South Shore hospital in Weymouth since it's super close to me.
  • Options
    I plan to deliver at Newton Wellesley ... I've heard great things
  • Options
    I delivered at Newton Wellesley with a Harvard Vanguard midwife. I was happy with the care I received from both the Harvard Vanguard and Newton Wellesley teams.
  • Options
    I delivered at Tufts Medical Center. My OB did not deliver my baby. I was able to meet a few others because of all the check up appointments I had but I don't think it's standard that you will know the OB that will be helping you deliver... The nurses at TMC were fantastic.
  • Options
    I think it's common for a team of docs to be possible - maybe just how it works in the big city! My doc was at BW and I did meet 4 docs in the practice (out of 8) and I still ended up delivering with one I hadn't met! He was great though. I liked Brigham but friends have said great things about both NW and Mt Auburn, so you'll be great with whatever you choose.
  • Options
    I delivered at BWH and had a great experience. I met a few of the OBs in the practice and neither them or my OB delivered LO. The OB I got was great. Remember, they're all very competent, go where you're comfortable.

I wanted to be somewhere that if anything went wrong, they could handle it. They also have a NICU. I ended up hemorrhaging after delivery and they handled it calmly and quickly.

Me: 33, DH: 35
    Married 10/13, TTC since 7/13
    Dx: MFI
    IUI #1 7/14: BFN
    IUI #2 8/14: BFN
    IVF #1 11/14: 20R17M15F
    Transferred 1 three day embryo! 7 frosties!
    BFP!  EDD 7/27/15

• Options
    I had a complication about 10 days postpartum and was very happy I had gone with BWH!
  • Options
    I delivered at BW and had met all of the obs at my doctors office. For my first it was one of the doctors I knew but for my 2nd the doctor from my office was delivering another baby so I had just some doctor who was available. So even if you meet all the doctors from your practice there is always a chance they won't be available.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}
  • Options
    I delivered my DD at Winchester Hospital and loved it, will be delivering the next one there as well.  Interestingly I had never met the OB (on-call) who delivered DD but he was amazing.. didn't push me with interventions and tried to let me avoid a section till it was clear we had no other option and baby was starting to show signs of distress.  He actually stayed 4 hours past his shift to deliver her and then came to check on us 2 days later.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My friends who have previously delivered at Mount Auburn said they were very happy. 
    I'll be delivering at BIDMC, I know one person who did and they seemed to have had a good experience as well... It certainly is nice that we seem to have to good choices in the Boston area!
  • Options
    I just delivered at BIDMC and had an amazing, amazing experience. I can't say enough great things. Everyone from the front desk staff to every single nurse to my amazing midwife and resident doctor on call were incredible. I felt safe and supported in all my choices and like the people in charge of my care actually cared. I would go back in a second if I have another child.

One thing to keep in mind though is that BI is a teaching hospital. So, pretty much every doctor or nurse I saw came with a trainee. It didn't bother me in the least (and none of my procedures were actually done by a student) but it did mean there were a lot of different faces in and out of the room during my labor and delivery. If for some reason you were uncomfortable with that, BI might not be for you.
  • Options
    I delivered my first at NWH and it was a wonderful experience.  The nurses are absolutely amazing.  I'm pregnant with my 2nd and will be delivering there again.
    BabyFruit Ticker