Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Is this normal?

My wife & I have wanted a baby for years. We planned, we tried, cried, and waited. We now have a beautiful, sweet, funny, lively little girl and I couldn't be happier. Being a mom is all I have ever wanted out of my life. I'm an RN and I always joke that it's to "support my habit of wanting kids". Motherhood has always been my goal in life. I am so in love with our little family & our sweet growing baby.

My concern is that I am now afraid more than I've ever been in my life. This world is such a cruel, ugly, hateful world, and I am so afraid of bringing up this bundle of sunshine in it. I worry for her every single day, for the day I know she'll have to leave our little nest of love & venture out into the world (aka preschool). 

Do any of you have this fear?

Re: Is this normal?

• Options
    I think it's totally normal! I try to channel it toward raising the smartest, sassiest and self confident little girl I can!

Obviously if the fear outweighs the love or your ability to just enjoy your family, it might be a good idea to talk to a professional about it. Otherwise, I think it is just a sign that you are a great parent!!
    Married DH 08.28.10
    Pregnancy #1: BFP 04.10.11 EDD 12.23.11 DD1 Born 12.4.11
     Pregnancy #2: BFP 5.12.14 MC 5.20.14 @ 5wk4d
    Pregnancy #3: BFP 11.1.14 EDD 7.5.15 MC 11.13.14 @ 6wk4d
    Pregnancy #4: BFP 1.31.15 EDD 10.5.15 DD2 Born 9.23.15

• Options
    I definitely have fears for my little one but what you're describing seems a bit excessive...

Do you really think this world is such an awful place? There is good and there is bad. Why do you think preschool will be so awful?? The kids in my son's daycare/preschool love it and always seem happy...
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm with you! This world is crazy and there's so much bad in it. However, as described above, we can only control our little universe and raise someone that'll cope and contribute to making this world manageable and better. There's no use in living in fear because then it only hinders our experience. Ultimately, although these thoughts absolutely ran through our minds as well, being able to love and raise a little one beat out the scariness of our big world.
  • Options
    I definitely have fears for my little one but what you're describing seems a bit excessive...

Do you really think this world is such an awful place? There is good and there is bad. Why do you think preschool will be so awful?? The kids in my son's daycare/preschool love it and always seem happy...

This. OP your fears do seem a tad excessive.

I have a 1 year old and a 3.5 year old and I do worry about my older child because he is currently going to school (pre-k). I worry that kids will be mean to him or HE will learn bad behaviors from other kids and not be my sweet little boy anymore but I think those are normal worries that all parents have. It's hard to watch them grow and learn more and more from the world and less and less from us but that's life. Sheltering them at home will do more harm than sending them out in the world.

I would lighten up a bit. The world isn't that terrible!

• Options
    You do t sound excessive to me. I'm constantly in fear of sexual predators and I just have babies! They're always with me right now. :)

It's ok to have the fears. It moves you to action to protect. But dont let fear immobilize you.