Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Sleep Book

My LO is 3 weeks old and I'm wanting to get a book on sleeping through the night and wondering which one you recommend. Baby Whisperer? Baby Wise? Something else?
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Sleep Book

• Honestly from everything I've read no matter what you do your baby will sleep through the night when he sleeps through the night. My son is 7 weeks old and just in the past week he's been giving me one solid 5-6 hour sleep. So just have patience and make sure he/she has a full belly at bed time!
  • Baby Wise is awful, don't follow that. The No Cry Sleep Solution is suppose to be good as well as The Happiest Baby on the Block. I hope you are just reading up to be prepared for later and you don't expect your 3 week old to STTN yet right?!

I have to agree with PP above though. You can read and try to be prepared as possible but everything with babies and kids is trial and error. They will STTN when they are ready but there are some things you can try to help move that along WHEN they are old enough.

Good luck!

• Loading the player...
  • Honestly from everything I've read no matter what you do your baby will sleep through the night when he sleeps through the night. My son is 7 weeks old and just in the past week he's been giving me one solid 5-6 hour sleep. So just have patience and make sure he/she has a full belly at bed time!

This.

You can't even start sleep training until at least 4 months, and most people wait for 5-6 months to start. You just need to ride this out right now. Work on getting LO to sleep preferably in a bassinet or crib if you can...but at 3 weeks sleep is so important you should let them do whatever they need to to make it happen.

Fwiw LO STTN for the first time at 10 weeks (meaning an actual 10+ hour stretch). She did it a lot around then but now at the 4 month regression she's back to waking up to eat once most nights. At 5 months I'm going to sleep train if necessary. She STTN last night though so maybe it won't be necessary at all.

At 3 weeks you have no idea what your baby's sleep will eventually be like...stay calm. But if I do sleep train, it will be the Ferber method (read the book, CIO does not mean "let them cry unattended until exhaustion" under this method).
  • Thanks ladies! Definitely not looking at sleep training now, but would like to start reading up early since I don't have a lot of free time to do a lot of reading now...
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Bigboobsmcgee