December 2015 Moms

When to buy maternity bras?

Figuring I need at least a couple of nursing bras for my hospital bag and first few days home with baby (don't like the idea of receiving visitors braless lol). So should I buy now or wait a bit longer? I'm 33 weeks and don't really feel my boobs have grown too much. I'm actually still wearing same bras but with an extender. So should I buy one size up, two sizes up?

Re: When to buy maternity bras?

• I bought some Jessica Simpson nursing bras today that were sized as S, M, L so I'm hoping those will fit a variety of cup sizes if that makes sense. Each size has a wide range of cup sizes listed on the tag that it should fit.
  • My midwife advised me not to buy an expensive or lots of nursing bras at first, wait until your full supply of milk comes through because that's when your boobs really start to grow.
    She suggested a few sports bras or a few cheap nursing bras
  • Loading the player...
  • I actually bought two at about 14 weeks since my rib cage was expanding and have been wearing them ever since. They are comfy. They are also sized s/m/l, and there is stretch in the cups if my size expands.
  • I like the seamless ones at Target, also s/m/l. They aren't hugely supportive, but great for everyday wear.
  • I bought two at around 16 weeks that are sized in s/m/l and underwireless. They still fit fine and have room to grow in the cup I've just had to get an extender.
    They were cheap target ones.
  • I've been wearing ones from target for the last few months. I figured instead of buying new regular bras I'd just get some nursing ones. They are super comfortable and I have some room to grow.
  • I just bought 3 bras & a nursing tank when target had their BOGO sale last week. Based off reviews, I bought the Basics Women's Stella Maternity & Nursing bra by bravado in black & nude which are FAB! Super comfy! I also bought the target brand Gilligan & O'Malley tank in black, which is perfectly serviceable. I haven't tried on the other bra yet as it just came in the mail today but it had good reviews & is also made by bravado, but looks a bit more "going outside" than the other bras & cost a bit more as well. I was going to just get one & wait & see like I'd heard. But then the childbirth instructor mentioned that you want a tighter bra at first & I noticed many nursing bras are Small/Medium/Large, so can accommodate a range of sizes. Then I saw the thread about the sale & figured I REALLY don't want to go out shopping for nursing bras right before or after Xmas. So I might as well get some now!

• I bought a couple nursing bras from motherhood maternity over the summer. My boobs no longer fit my regular bras a couple months after becoming pregnant. Motherhood maternity sells nursing bras in s/m/l and also cup sizes. They will measure you and help find the right fit..
  • My bras were uncomfortable so I was measured at 26 weeks and finally got around to ordering them at 30 weeks. I bought 2 of the seamless silk by bravado and they are really comfortable. I also bought 2 sleep bras at targets BOGO last week and they are okay.

Most places I read said you were supposed to wait as long as possible for your true nursing bras BUT when I looked at discussions of people that took that advice many said those bras fit at 36+ weeks only fit for about 2 weeks postpartum when there milk came in and their boobs were huge but once they had gotten nursing established the bras were really to big.

I followed the recommendations on Seraphine dot com and they said 26 weeks was a good time to measure and that you may go up 1 band size and 1-2 cups through the rest of the pregnancy and milk coming in--which sounds like a lot but didn't actually matter much in sizes for me because of nursing bras being sized at small, medium or large.
  • Thanks ladies, very helpful info! Too bad I missed the Target sale :-/
  • I am 32+ weeks and I just bought maternity bras and nursing bras yesterday at motherhood maternity. They currently have a sale, buy three get one free! I tried on several brands and styles and nothing was over $28. Good deals.
  • I am 32+ weeks and I just bought maternity bras and nursing bras yesterday at motherhood maternity. They currently have a sale, buy three get one free! I tried on several brands and styles and nothing was over $28. Good deals.
    I'm pretty sure this is a frequent promotion. I've seen signs for the same deal several times over the span of several years. I bought 4 during that promotion when DS was little, and they are still in good condition. I plan to use them again this time unless the fit is not comfortable.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Zulily had great nursing bra sales! I just got to Bravado nursing bras (said to be some of the best) and they were normally $54 each and I got them for $19 :). And the best part, they don't look like grandma bras - they are pretty!!