November 2015 Moms
Options

New dog

I have 3 weeks until my due date. My husband thinks it would be a good idea to get our current dog a friend so she won't be lonely when our daughter comes. I'm worried she will then be jealous of a new dog and a baby. We would definitely adopt an adult dog that didn't need any sort of training. Just looking for opinions and pros/ cons. Thanks!

Answers

• Options
    Seems like a lot to get a new dog with a baby coming so soon. Is it possible to foster a dog temporarily to make sure everything works out? A new dog is always a big adjustment, even if it's an adult dog that is already trained.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Personally I think a new dog & a new baby would be a lot on your plate. You'd have to worry about introducing the baby to both dogs. Introducing your current dog to the new dog & baby. And introducing new dog to a new house, another dog, & living with a baby. We got a new dog right before I had my first baby & I ended up resenting the dog because it would pee on all of my sons things when left alone out of jealousy. We ended up giving him away cuz I couldn't handle it anymore. Which broke my fiancé's heart. He misses the dog to this day & our son is 3.
  • Options
    Just my opinion- it not only sounds like a lot of transition for the dog but also for you and your husband. Most adult rescue dogs require some training and time in the home to adjust and show their true personality. Maybe you can let your dog and your family adjust to a human addition before adding another dog.
  • Options
    Even adult dogs will require some training coming into a new home. Plus it will add to the workload around the house and I too, would be a bit worried about the dog nbeing jealous. A new baby is already a huge adjustment for a dog.
  • Options
    Pontot31 said:

I think that sounds like the worst idea ever.

Agreed. Your poor current dog would just be starting to adjust to the new dog addition (as someone who has done the puppy thing and the rescue thing both sound like absolute hell on earth right now) and then would have to adjust to a new baby! I'd have her adjust to the baby first and then bring in another pet in the next three to six months or so. Even if a dog is mostly trained, with a brand new environment there will probably be some regression/training reinforcement to be done - just imagine the nighttime whining and a screaming newborn. Ugh, torture!
  • Options
    Sorry this is such a long post, but I am dog obsessed so here we go. We have a dog with separation and anxiety that we saved two years ago and is a very special member of our family. While a friend for you dog is a well intentioned idea, I think you can also view the baby if you take time to socialize your dog right with them and are sensitive to the needs of your dog, as a new friend for your dog.

Ive read a lot about this in the past few months and put a lot of time into getting our dog ready. I tried to introduce all new baby items early and let the dog smell them. Our dog is still adjusting to the nursery's green rug which he thinks is grass, (he has had two poo poo incidents in three months) but otherwise it had gone well.

I read that dogs know you are pregnant they just don't know how many puppies you are having. My dog has become very protective of his momma and puppy and I think will be okay. Other sources I have read suggest to try to keep a space just for your dog in the house and at least a few routine things you do with them through the change. We set up our apartment patio with a dog bed, and some plants and items our dog likes. He goes out for several hours a day on his own and just relaxes in the sun. My DH also takes him for a walk every morning, ran or shine, sick or healthy which we plan to continue when the new baby comes no matter what. My father in law also suggested we take one blanket when our baby gets here and let it pick up the baby smell and then give it to the dog so he can become accustomed and comfy with the new human.

I think getting a new dog would be so stressful at this point for you, your DH, baby girl, and probably for the dog and new dog too. If you take the time to integrate your new addition and adapt as a family you can see how it goes. If after some months you notice your dog is depressed and lonely, then go to a shelter or center where you can bring your dog and have different dogs play with them and interact in the special adoption rooms. That will help your dog select the new dog. But I would give it a go trying to see if your dog loves the new baby as much as you both do and finds a new friend in the little one!!! *fingers crossed for you guys*
  • Options
    I would put off getting another dog for a year or so at very least, for the first dog and your sake.
  • Options
    I think it's a terrible idea. You never know how long it will take a new dog to get adjusted and it will add to your stress as a new parent. For your own sanity, just say no.
  • Options
    Gwennies said:

Sorry this is such a long post, but I am dog obsessed so here we go. We have a dog with separation and anxiety that we saved two years ago and is a very special member of our family. While a friend for you dog is a well intentioned idea, I think you can also view the baby if you take time to socialize your dog right with them and are sensitive to the needs of your dog, as a new friend for your dog.

Ive read a lot about this in the past few months and put a lot of time into getting our dog ready. I tried to introduce all new baby items early and let the dog smell them. Our dog is still adjusting to the nursery's green rug which he thinks is grass, (he has had two poo poo incidents in three months) but otherwise it had gone well.

I read that dogs know you are pregnant they just don't know how many puppies you are having. My dog has become very protective of his momma and puppy and I think will be okay. Other sources I have read suggest to try to keep a space just for your dog in the house and at least a few routine things you do with them through the change. We set up our apartment patio with a dog bed, and some plants and items our dog likes. He goes out for several hours a day on his own and just relaxes in the sun. My DH also takes him for a walk every morning, ran or shine, sick or healthy which we plan to continue when the new baby comes no matter what. My father in law also suggested we take one blanket when our baby gets here and let it pick up the baby smell and then give it to the dog so he can become accustomed and comfy with the new human.

I think getting a new dog would be so stressful at this point for you, your DH, baby girl, and probably for the dog and new dog too. If you take the time to integrate your new addition and adapt as a family you can see how it goes. If after some months you notice your dog is depressed and lonely, then go to a shelter or center where you can bring your dog and have different dogs play with them and interact in the special adoption rooms. That will help your dog select the new dog. But I would give it a go trying to see if your dog loves the new baby as much as you both do and finds a new friend in the little one!!! *fingers crossed for you guys*

All of this also, great advice!
  • Options
    With our first baby our nurse suggested sending home the first baby hat with my SO for the dogs to sniff before we got home the next day. Our dogs adjusted just fine. Our female pug, who was never a mother, followed the baby everywhere and my pointer loves all our kids and has always been so gentle with them. He lets them crawl all over him.

I would say no on a new dog, way to much added stress in getting the dog settled in.
  • Options
    AmoLovesAudAmoLovesAud member
    edited November 2015

I think a better thing to do is to hire a dog sitter or dog walker, maybe use these last few weeks as a way of getting her adjusted to the new human playmate, and establish some routines with them that won't go away when you and your SO are too busy with baby.

Personally, now that we're not renting I'm dying to adopt a(n adult) kitty, but even though I've grown up with cats all my life and am pretty knowledgeable on taking care of them, and adopted adults are usually pretty well house-trained, we decided that its better to adjust to life with baby first, then think on it again in 6 months or so when hopefully we're a little back to normal.  One thing at a time and all that.

• Options
    Our dog passed away about 4 weeks ago of a tumor. It was one of the hardest things I think we've went through as a family he was apart of our lives for the past 8 years through all of our adventures. He was our baby and we couldn't wait for him to meet our new baby because he was AWESOME w kids. We have another dog and I do feel guilty leaving him at home now because he's alone. I'm hoping that the baby will be his new friend. We decided that even though we both want another dog a newborn baby is going to take up all of our attention and we're going to be learning how to take care of a baby, no need to throw a new dog into the mix just yet. My advice is just too include your current doggy in all the new things that baby brings and hold off on a new dog until you know for sure it's the right thing for your family. Sometimes men just don't think of all the consequences that come along with a new dog, I know my husband didn't! No way am I going to want to train a new dog or clean up pee/poo off my carpet when I just got done changing a dirty diaper.
  • Options
    oliarnmom1517oliarnmom1517 member
    edited November 2015
    I'm having enough trouble as it is with my two dogs I can't even imagine bringing a new animal in the house before bringing a new baby in the house.. Its been rough enough and they have been here since before I got pregnant!! DS was born on Tuesday and I think I would be losing my mind if I had to get use to a new baby and a new pet..