June 2016 Moms

slow rising HCG, (doubling time 7 days,) yet heartbeat

This might be rare enough that no one else has experienced it... But if you have, let me know! My HCG levels were checked at 6 weeks 2 day and 6 weeks 4 days due to spotting. They went from about 14,500 to 17,500, a doubling rate of over 7 days! So of course the OB did an ultrasound, and the baby was measuring fine with a good heart rate. At 8 weeks, 3 days, did another beta to find out 60,600 HCG. My doubling rate was again, over 7 days. An ultrasound however, showed perfect baby and heart rate. I did a whole lot of research, and haven't found anyone with HCG as slow rising as mine, that ended up with a healthy baby. My OB did admit that this puts me in a high risk category for a chromosome problem, so I'll do all the testing when it's time. I never did Betas with my other pregnancies, so perhaps they've all been low and I had no idea. (I have 3 healthy kiddos.) I've never had even a touch of morning sickness, so maybe the low HCG is why? Anyone have any helpful comments/ experiences?

Re: slow rising HCG, (doubling time 7 days,) yet heartbeat

• Wow-I haven't experienced this, but it sounds like baby is doing just fine. Does the doc want to keep monitoring your levels?
    BFP 5/2/11 DS born 1/19/12. 
    BFP #2 12/29/12, EDD 9/6/13, MC 1/2/13.
    BFP #3 5/4/13, EDD 1/9/14  Twin Boys! L&L born 12/18/13
    BFP #4 10/10/15 - Surprise!  Boy #4!.  EDD 6/19/16

• Hmm, I don't know. But he's concerned enough to do another ultrasound next week again.
  • Loading the player...
  • This is very interesting to me. I have no experience but I'd love to hear an update after your next appointment
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • My levels were doubling like every 24 hours until I got to about 14,000. Then it went to like 149 hours doubling time! I haven't even had an ultrasound yet though so no idea what's going on in there or how things will turn out.. I also had a previous miscarriage from a blighted ovum.
    Please update us after your next appointment!
  • It sounds like your levels may be so high that they aren't going to keep doubling. 

Also, can you clarify? How do you know it doubled over 7 days? Did you get tested 7 days later or are you just averaging? 

• There is a beta calculator online that gives you the rate. Also, after 6-7 weeks it slows way down. Mine around 5.5 weeks were at a 4 day doubling rate but also super high (first was almost 19000). I had a normal ultrasound with heartbeat a few days later and expect a good one next week. Good luck!
  • BLM10 said:

There is a beta calculator online that gives you the rate. Also, after 6-7 weeks it slows way down. Mine around 5.5 weeks were at a 4 day doubling rate but also super high (first was almost 19000). I had a normal ultrasound with heartbeat a few days later and expect a good one next week. Good luck!

Yes, I used an online calculator, and then did the math to make sure it was right. My OB was pretty surprised to see a normally growing baby both times after seeing my numbers.

I didn't ask the OB about this, but I did read online that after your number gets higher, a 96 hour (4 day) doubling time can be normal. Mine was 7.8 days, so almost twice the normal doubling time.

I'm hoping for a healthy baby, it I'm not counting on it yet.
  • My levels were doubling like every 24 hours until I got to about 14,000. Then it went to like 149 hours doubling time! I haven't even had an ultrasound yet though so no idea what's going on in there or how things will turn out.. I also had a previous miscarriage from a blighted ovum.
    Please update us after your next appointment!

Sure! It's Wednesday morning. I'll let you know. Your doubling rate is over 6 days, kind of similar mine.

• I have news!!!! I actually started getting sharp abdominal pain today and some pink spotting so I went to the hospital... I was worried maybe it was something serious. They did an ultrasound and found a baby!! It measured right on track, everything looked great and there was a heartbeat of 112! Though there is a little pocket of blood we are hoping gets reabsorbed or just comes out... At least it's not another blighted ovum though!
    Oh and my pain was apparently because I had to poop. :))

Great news! How far along are you?
  • I have news!!!! I actually started getting sharp abdominal pain today and some pink spotting so I went to the hospital... I was worried maybe it was something serious. They did an ultrasound and found a baby!! It measured right on track, everything looked great and there was a heartbeat of 112! Though there is a little pocket of blood we are hoping gets reabsorbed or just comes out... At least it's not another blighted ovum though!
    Oh and my pain was apparently because I had to poop. :))

Great news! How far along are you?
    I'm 7 weeks as of yesterday :) when I went in it I was only 6+2
  • Mine is slow rising too! I'm 6 weeks but it rose from 20800 to 25300 in 2 days. I just found out, so I don't have any tips, but I figured you would want to know that you're not alone
  • Mine is slow rising too! I'm 6 weeks but it rose from 20800 to 25300 in 2 days. I just found out, so I don't have any tips, but I figured you would want to know that you're not alone

Huh! Your doubling rate is also over 7 days. I think we're far enough along that the rates are just slowing down.
  • I know this is an old thread, but I'm curious if anyone here has updates? I'm in the same boat now. 8 weeks and HcG has been extremely slow to rise for several weeks. Low progesterone also, but we are supplementing that.
  • yalaverdiyalaverdi member
    edited June 2023
    Any updates