June 2016 Moms

Massage during 1st trimester

mrsfifilefumemrsfifilefume member
edited October 2015 in June 2016 Moms
Curious if its safe to get  a standard relaxation massage in the first trimester, or should I switch it to prenatal even though I don't have a belly and can easily lie on my stomach. 

Re: Massage during 1st trimester

• chloe97chloe97 member
    edited November 2015
    I belong to Massage Envy and had a massage scheduled for this weekend before I got pregnant. I called and explained that I would be 6 weeks pregnant and they immediately switched me to a prenatal massage.

I know based on research that massage is safe in all trimesters of an uncomplicated pregnancy. I'm not sure if prenatal massages are needed the first trimester, but it seems like ME prefers that you do prenatal massage if you are even a few weeks pregnant, so I'm going to go that route.
  • I went to get one when I was about 6 weeks. The massage place told me they wouldn't work on me at all in the first trimester, not even a prenatal. The risk of miscarriage is apparently too high. Even if you find a place that will do it, I would avoid it to be on the safe side
  • Loading the player...
  • I was scheduled to have one in India when I go in a few weeks but canceled when I found out I was pregnant.  I think I'll stick with a facial for now.  
  • Spas around where i live will absolutely not give you a massage or facial during 1st tri. I called pretty much every upscale spa in my city. Not sure about the massage envy a or places like that.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Call your doctor and ask if it's okay. My doctor is totally fine with it. Spas are worried about liability, because the risk of miscarriage is so much higher in the first trimester and they are concerned they could be sued if a woman has a MC after a massage. Sure- if you're worried, don't do it, but there's no evidence that a prenatal massage will trigger a MC.
  • mkemommymkemommy member
    edited October 2015
    BOH1025 said:
    Spas around where i live will absolutely not give you a massage or facial during 1st tri. I called pretty much every upscale spa in my city. Not sure about the massage envy a or places like that.
    What did they say was wrong with a facial out of curiorisity?  My doctor said they were fine.  I'll ask the tech not to use Retinal and no peels or anything but a basic facial should be fine. 
  • I work for a spa as an esthetician and they will not do massage during first tri. And it's best not to hide it cause there are trigger points in the back and legs that have been linked to contractions so that's why prenatal massages are there. They avoid those points and keep pressure light. Facials are totally fine and your esthetician will know what you can and can't use and of course let her know if your are uncomfortable with certain products. For example, in my practice I know that AHA Peels are "safe" but I personally ask if they are ok with it and I myself just don't do it.
  • Wow.  I had no idea.  I had a massage the day after I got my positive.  I told her I was pregnant, and she said she'd avoid certain pressure points. 
  • I know when I was pregnant with DD I had a massage booked for week 10 and the spa turned me away and said absolutely not in the first trimester as it can bring on contractions. However, after that point I had lots of prenatal massages and they were glorious! I plan on getting them this time for definite, 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Wow that's interesting I had a massage with my first two pregnancies during First trip and the spa said it was ok. Definitely don't hide it from your therapist though.
  • Ok I live in a rural area but it seemed like a spa we went to on vacation in Colorado refused to do a massage due to possibly releasing high amounts of lactic acid? Again I have no clue if this is true or not but I know I was unable to get a massage with DD in the first tri.
  • For the spa I worked at (Hand and Stone) we were not allowed to perform massages on anyone in their first tri- and after that it was prenatal only. @chloe97 is right- it's mostly a liability issue. And even with ladies in their 2nd and 3rd tri, we had them read through a bunch of extra paperwork, recommend they get the OK from their doctor, and sign a paper stating they were not high risk.
  • I am a massage therapist and it is perfectly safe to receive massage while pregnant... Any trimester.

If massage caused a miscarriage, we wouldn't have abortion clinics, people would just go get a massage.

Yes, there are techniques that should be avoided, and areas of the body that should not be overly stimulated because energetically they have a connection to your uterus and can stimulate contractions, but you don't need to avoid massage entirely.

You will be getting a prenatal massage, because that's what it's called when your pregnant. If there is no baby bump, laying on your stomach is perfectly fine. The only reason to put you on your side is when you're stomach is in the way and you can't lay comfortably face down. Also, when you're baby is bigger, it's not safe to lay flat on your back because the weight of the baby squishes the rest of your internal organs.

Miscarriages happen... about 1 in 4 pregnancies end in miscarriages, and I think people just want to blame something. But massage is not to blame.
  • My chiropractor won't adjust my lower back during first trimester for liability purposes although he said there are no contraindications showing anything against them. He said I can still get massage, but they typically focus on my pain areas, like my IT band or lower back.
  • I went for my first prenatal massage yesterday and it was fantastic! Even though I'm only 6 weeks, he had me on my side hugging a pillow. He focused more on my glutes, legs, shoulders and neck than my lower back. It felt great. If you can find a massage therapist who will work on you this early, I highly recommend it. I did have to sign paperwork, but it was acknowledging that I had no complications that I knew about that could be exacerbated by massage.
  • I am a massage therapist and it is perfectly safe to receive massage while pregnant... Any trimester.

If massage caused a miscarriage, we wouldn't have abortion clinics, people would just go get a massage.

Yes, there are techniques that should be avoided, and areas of the body that should not be overly stimulated because energetically they have a connection to your uterus and can stimulate contractions, but you don't need to avoid massage entirely.

You will be getting a prenatal massage, because that's what it's called when your pregnant. If there is no baby bump, laying on your stomach is perfectly fine. The only reason to put you on your side is when you're stomach is in the way and you can't lay comfortably face down. Also, when you're baby is bigger, it's not safe to lay flat on your back because the weight of the baby squishes the rest of your internal organs.

Miscarriages happen... about 1 in 4 pregnancies end in miscarriages, and I think people just want to blame something. But massage is not to blame.

This.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I had a massage at 7 weeks with my DD, and laid on my stomach. Everything was fine. Considering I sleep on my stomach, I don't see much difference.
  • I had a massage at 4 weeks, told my therapist, and she did her thing with no problems or changes.  I think it is totally safe and dang did it feel good!

imageimageimage

Pregnancy%20ticker