November 2015 Moms

blood transfusion

My doctor has me scheduled for a blood transfusion after section (next Friday) and I was wondering of anyone has any advice because I'm freaking out!! What should I expect?

Re: blood transfusion

• When I had mine, it made me extremely tired, I was in and our of it for quite a while. It's time consuming but you should feel immediately better after! 
  • Are there any long term effects?
  • Loading the player...
  • I can't recall any that I had or if I was warned about any. 
  • No long term effects ! I had a blood transfusion after a major surgery from
    Internal bleeding. It's been 8 years and Iv had no long term or short term effects from the procedure. Nothing to be worried about honestly. Good luck and I wish you nothing but the best. Stay positive. No negative thinking.
  • Thank you guys! Puts my mind at ease big time.
  • Generally patients feel better after them. They will check your vital signs every fifteen minutes at first then every thirty. They generally run over two hours but can go up to four before the blood is bad. No long term effects that I've ever heard, but there's potential to pick up antibodies from the blood that you didn't previously have. The only thing this would effect would be any future blood transfusion as that blood would generally need the same antibodies.
  • I had lots of them as a child due to surgeries. No long term side effects. I can remember being cold and nauseous during them but it passed.
  • Hmmm, I never realized a blood transfusion was common after a c section.
  • It's common if you are anemic.
  • I'm extremely anemic. Even outside of pregnancy but pregnancy has just drained me I take iron supplements 3x a day along with a high protein diet and special nutrition shakes,which has only raised my h&h and iron by .2 which is no where near enough. Thank you to everyone for your input! I feel a lot better about it now and I'm not nearly as scared as I was!
  • What do you normally run @chelseaepley ? Just wondering because at last check I was 9.2 I am always borderline but that's really low for me
  • Last check I was 8.1