November 2015 Moms

UO Thursday

2»

Re: UO Thursday

• edited October 2015
    I am admittedly no economics aficionado but I really don't get why it's now my problem to make sure that the server can pay their rent. Their job should ensure that, isn't that the whole point of getting a job? I always tip because I had many, many friends in college who were servers and they bitched constantly about bad tips. I just don't want to feel like the world's worst person if I don't leave a great tip because the service was relatively poor (which it is, half the time). I get that it's complicated, really but it's the principal of the thing. Your salary should ensure a certain quality of life. If it doesn't something is wrong.

Do unto others. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I am admittedly no economics aficionado but I really don't get why it's now my problem to make sure that the server can pay their rent. Their job should ensure that, isn't that the whole point of getting a job? I always tip because I had many, many friends in college who were servers and they bitched constantly about bad tips. I just don't want to feel like the world's worst person if I don't leave a great tip because the service was relatively poor (which it is, half the time). I get that it's complicated, really but it's the principal of the thing. Your salary should ensure a certain quality of life. If it doesn't something is wrong.

I don't know you from a hole in the wall but have you ever thought that maybe you get bad service because you aren't a good customer. As someone who worked as a server it can be really hard to be nice to a table that isn't nice to you. Even if it is their job servers are people with feelings too and when you treat them like they are beneath you because they are serving you, it can make it hard to give good service.
     Oh, I totally agree. You should always be respectful and kind to the servers. I just think they should be paid better is my only point.
    Do unto others. 
  • My UO: Starbucks. Not a fan. Every now and then, sure, I'll get a strawberries and cream frap or maybe even a caramel one. But their coffee is horrible. And it is WAY too overpriced. I will never go out just for Starbucks. I have it maybe 2-3 times a year. I'm more of a Dunkin donuts gal or caribou coffee. Friggen love caribou. Not one in my area anymore, but they are much, much better than Starbucks.
    Double chocolaty chip frappucino, tho.

I lurk. I snark. I offer sound advice if you're not BSC. You may not like me. I'm okay with it.

• I am admittedly no economics aficionado but I really don't get why it's now my problem to make sure that the server can pay their rent. Their job should ensure that, isn't that the whole point of getting a job? I always tip because I had many, many friends in college who were servers and they bitched constantly about bad tips. I just don't want to feel like the world's worst person if I don't leave a great tip because the service was relatively poor (which it is, half the time). I get that it's complicated, really but it's the principal of the thing. Your salary should ensure a certain quality of life. If it doesn't something is wrong.

I don't know you from a hole in the wall but have you ever thought that maybe you get bad service because you aren't a good customer. As someone who worked as a server it can be really hard to be nice to a table that isn't nice to you. Even if it is their job servers are people with feelings too and when you treat them like they are beneath you because they are serving you, it can make it hard to give good service.
     Oh, I totally agree. You should always be respectful and kind to the servers. I just think they should be paid better is my only point.
    But it's all the same.  If they get paid a regular wage, prices go up to cover that cost.  You, the customer pays about the same amount as the "tip" is just built in to the cost of your entree and the server makes about the same amount as well.  Money doesn't just come out of nowhere, the owner has to cover the difference somehow because rest assured, he won't just be eating it.
    YCSWU 

• rachswi said:

My UO is that I think special detergents for babies are silly, and I really dislike the smell of Dreft.  I'm going to put baby in a couple outfits washed in our regular detergent (not a free and clear), and if he doesn't have any skin issues, I have no intent on switching.  I had very sensitive skin as a baby (to the point that my parents had to cloth diaper for a long time), but DH has no skin issues at all, so this could go either way.

Gonna hop on that one and say I think many "baby-specific" items are a little ridiculous. The detergent is the only one I'm currently thinking of, but I'm tired of seeing "baby" slapped on something then it costs twice as much.
    I seriously saw baby dish soap at the store...seriously!
  • kmd91 said:

Cook3133 said:

May or may not be a UO but thought this was the best place to put this..

I DO NOT want a Halloween baby!! I have this feeling he won't be to much longer and a fear he will come on Saturday :(. My husband thinks he'll come then just because I don't want him to. I really just want to take my other kids trick or treating! If I have to have him that day at least wait until after they get their fun!!!! I usually help prep my self for labor two weeks before my EDD but this time around just holding out until the weekend to start!

Yes, this! People keep telling me how cute it would be if he were a Halloween baby. No, just no. We do not want him to have to share his birthday with Halloween every year. Like, I want to avoid that badly enough I'd much rather have him decide to come next week when his daddy is gone for training and I'll have to deal with the hassle of getting ahold of him and him getting released to come. Anything but a Halloween birthday.
    Yay! This completely!! I was just telling my gf I didn't want Charlotte to share her bday with a demon holiday lol!
  • rachswi said:

My UO is that I think special detergents for babies are silly, and I really dislike the smell of Dreft.  I'm going to put baby in a couple outfits washed in our regular detergent (not a free and clear), and if he doesn't have any skin issues, I have no intent on switching.  I had very sensitive skin as a baby (to the point that my parents had to cloth diaper for a long time), but DH has no skin issues at all, so this could go either way.

Gonna hop on that one and say I think many "baby-specific" items are a little ridiculous. The detergent is the only one I'm currently thinking of, but I'm tired of seeing "baby" slapped on something then it costs twice as much.
    Ridiculous. I thought of one (not technically baby but kinda)... A birthing ball is a freaking yoga ball or exercise ball. No need to put "birth" on it then charge more. I bought a $15 ball off Amazon and it works just fine.
  • rachswi said:

rachswi said:

Ridiculous. I thought of one (not technically baby but kinda)... A birthing ball is a freaking yoga ball or exercise ball. No need to put "birth" on it then charge more. I bought a $15 ball off Amazon and it works just fine.
    That's what I thought too, but my I have to bring an actual birthing ball to the hospital. They won't accept yoga balls. The birthing balls have to be non skid and have to have sand in the bottom so they won't roll back when you go to sit on them.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • rachswi said:

rachswi said:

That's what I thought too, but my I have to bring an actual birthing ball to the hospital. They won't accept yoga balls. The birthing balls have to be non skid and have to have sand in the bottom so they won't roll back when you go to sit on them.
    Interesting. Fortunately my hospital has their own balls. But I'm pretty sure even theirs are just yoga balls and not "birthing balls"
  • rachswi said:

rachswi said:

My yoga ball has the sand in it, I LOVE it! It's a golds gym brand I bought for cheap at Walmart a few years ago. Not sure if it matters but it's described as the "men's" yoga ball. Because I'm so tall the other ones would be to small for me
  • modanz1 said:

eamarat said:

kmd91 said:

Cook3133 said:

I DO NOT want a Halloween baby!! I have this feeling he won't be to much longer and a fear he will come on Saturday :(. My husband thinks he'll come then just because I don't want him to. I really just want to take my other kids trick or treating! If I have to have him that day at least wait until after they get their fun!!!! I usually help prep my self for labor two weeks before my EDD but this time around just holding out until the weekend to start!

Yes, this! People keep telling me how cute it would be if he were a Halloween baby. No, just no. We do not want him to have to share his birthday with Halloween every year. Like, I want to avoid that badly enough I'd much rather have him decide to come next week when his daddy is gone for training and I'll have to deal with the hassle of getting ahold of him and him getting released to come. Anything but a Halloween birthday.
    Yay! This completely!! I was just telling my gf I didn't want Charlotte to share her bday with a demon holiday lol!
    ..."demon holiday"?

Yea, I didn't know about that one either.  You all realize there are like a trillion worse things that could happen than your child having Halloween as their birthday right?
    Maybe because I'm Irish but I wouldn't mind at all if this boy came on Samhain. :)

Not Irish and I think a Samhain baby wouldn't be a bad thing at all. :p
  • modanz1 said:

kmd91 said:

Cook3133 said:

Also, you do realize there is the possibility that several women on this board will have their babies tomorrow and this could be considered pretty offensive and/or upsetting  to them.  Maybe just think before you speak.

I just want a happy, healthy baby. Whenever she decides to come is ok with me! Sorry if anyone found this offensive. Guess my lol didn't cover it! Im okay with a little pumpkin!
  • I had no idea smash cakes were a thing :O
    Being from europe I have a really hard time tipping but I follow a simple rule in california : double the tax. But I tip like 5% of the time only when I am back in paris, the service is rarely good and nobody smiles. Food is good, not service.
    So they get my 20cents of change, if any, and thats it.

My UO of this week is that I love skunks and racoons, they are so super cute, I think we are the ones who took over their lands, In another life I would run a wild animal shelter ...
  • modanz1 said:

kmd91 said:

Cook3133 said:

Also, you do realize there is the possibility that several women on this board will have their babies tomorrow and this could be considered pretty offensive and/or upsetting  to them.  Maybe just think before you speak.
    I just want a happy, healthy baby. Whenever she decides to come is ok with me! Sorry if anyone found this offensive. Guess my lol didn't cover it! Im okay with a little pumpkin!

Lol means you're laughing, not that we are. Nor is lol a free pass to say whatever you want.
    YCSWU 

• modanz1 said:

modanz1 said:

kmd91 said:

Cook3133 said:

Lol means you're laughing, not that we are. Nor is lol a free pass to say whatever you want.

I apologized. I get it.