December 2015 Moms

Point me in the right direction...

Tried to do a search, but didn't find anything. Is anyone doing an alternative to in-person child birthing classes? Maybe videos online or just researching yourself? My doctor highly recommended one, but the ones they have at the hospital don't fit in to my schedule. Any suggestions on alternatives?

Re: Point me in the right direction...

• At  our classes the nurse said that the book is available to anyone and all of the videos that she showed are online. She also gave us a great DVD of L&D and baby care tutorials. Maybe your place can give you their materials? You could also try your local library. They may have some good resources.
  • Loading the player...
  • I second asking if your hospital/the place that gives the classes can give you one of the books they hand out. The one in our class has a code on the back that gives you access to a TON of online videos and supplementary resources. You could very easily read through the book we got and watch the videos associated with it and get all the same information (minus the ability to ask questions of the instructor, but I don't know that that is vital - you can always ask your doctor). Definitely give them a call and see if your hospital has the same resources.
  • The hospital where I deliver has an online class. There may be something similar in your area. Personally, I got started with the what to expect books and went from there. I read online articles, watched YouTube videos, just whatever I could find. I kind of liked it because I got several different perspectives that way.
  • The what to expect books are awesome. Also I would YouTube and Google. You will find a world of information an different options for labor delivery post parturition care etc.
    Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
  • I liked birthing from within (book), evidence based birth (website), and the birth partner (book for hubs) the best of the things I've read.
  • I second the sources @spottedginger suggested!!
  • I went in blind and hoped for the best!

Just kidding, I did some research on reputable sites, spoke with other new moms, and made a general birth plan. I wasn't going for anything out of ordinary, wanted an epidural, and just was up for whatever got baby here in the safest and least painful way.

If you're hoping for a natural, med- free birth, I definitely suggest watching some videos, reading up on pain management techniques, and having more of an idea of what to expect!
    Best of luck!!
  • Thank you everyone for the helpful information. I sent an email to the birthing coach at my hospital for information and will be looking in to the other sources you pointed me to. I really appreciate it.