February 2016 Moms

Uo-unpopular opinions 10/29

2»

Re: Uo-unpopular opinions 10/29

• @AdventureMama I can definitely see your point and understand how your personal experience has shaped your view. Nothing against people who think differently and you have valid scenarios I would consider if another baby was a possibility.

Maybe if I didn't have underlying health issues that played into pregnancy I would be more excited about another baby but this pregnancy hasn't been easy on my body and I have long road ahead of me with possible medical treatments that could make it hard to have another as well. Not something I feel like explaining to people I know in real life since they are making a judgement without having all the info. I'm just shocked that so many people have such a strong opinion about how many children I have.
  • I think trunk or treat is a genius idea! Nearly all my friends with kids share custody and have to do holidays every other year. This gives the off year parent a chance to see their kids in costume and enjoy the trick or treating experience with them.
  • Loading the player...
  • VitaLuna said:

My UOs:

2. I don't use toilet seat covers. As long as there aren't dribbles or smears of anything gross, it's totally fine. Studies have shown over and over again that you can't catch anything from a toilet seat and that a LOT of things (doorknobs, phones) are much dirtier.

I'm definitely not worried about "catching" anything. I'm well aware that I'm not going to pick up some kind of contagious bug from a toilet seat. It's just the general ick factor of it. Bleh.
    I usually hover, personally. But once I didn't and the seat was still warm. Blech!!!!!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • xkatiekx said:

I think it's weird when people ask or assume that I'm planning on having more than one child. And I think it's down right rude that the majority of people who have initiated this conversation tell me I'm doing something wrong or will change my mind about wanting one child. I don't have a crystal ball to see into the future but since they ask I've been honest about preferring to have one child (and I understand it could change once he gets here too). Didn't realise it was an unpopular opinion until I was pregnant.

I'm not even kidding you, the DAY AFTER having my daughter one of my aunts asked when we were planning on having another one. She was dead serious too. Maybe once my vagina heals and I am running on more than 2 hours of sleep per day we will think about it. And once we do think about it, it's none of your business.

I also hated when I was pregnant with DD people asked how many kids we planned on having and I would say "oh I don't know, 3 maybe 4, depends" and they would say "oh you'll change your mind after this one! You'll probably only have two!" So annoying.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @ohbaby714 you get pregnant or have a baby and suddenly everyone has an opinion about your vagina and family lol. I will be less than pleasant if someone asks the day he's born when we're having another!
  • xkatiekx said:

@AdventureMama I can definitely see your point and understand how your personal experience has shaped your view. Nothing against people who think differently and you have valid scenarios I would consider if another baby was a possibility.

Maybe if I didn't have underlying health issues that played into pregnancy I would be more excited about another baby but this pregnancy hasn't been easy on my body and I have long road ahead of me with possible medical treatments that could make it hard to have another as well. Not something I feel like explaining to people I know in real life since they are making a judgement without having all the info. I'm just shocked that so many people have such a strong opinion about how many children I have.

Oh, I completely understand this. I would never be nosy about someone else's kid situation or demand an explanation for their choices. I honestly don't judge people for it or feel like THEY should make a different choice. I also totally understand that not everyone can have more kids, or that they may be able to but their bodies don't tolerate it well. Everyone is different and we all have our own reasons for our choices. :) My whole thing is about my own choices and why I personally wouldn't want an only child.
    Married 8.5.12
    Caleb born 10.9.13
    2.0 due 2.1.16
  • @AdventureMama can I love that humble brag thing like 5 more times?!?!?!
  • @AdventureMama can I love that humble brag thing like 5 more times?!?!?!

@strlitemiss Yeah it was sooooo crappy. Ugh.
    Married 8.5.12
    Caleb born 10.9.13
    2.0 due 2.1.16
  • 1)I hover when I pee too
    2)My MIL started harassing me about kids when we got engaged. She also started asking about another right after DD was born. Then when we found out we're having a boy this time she said "you know this doesn't mean you're done just because you have one of each" I'm like its my body and my decision. I'll wait till after this one to decide. With DD I had to deal with bad post partum thyroid and anxiety problems and it took me awhile to recover.
    3)My UO is I hate baths. I know everyone says they're so relaxing but I just feel like I'm sitting in my own dirt. That's why when be built our house the master bath has one giant walk in shower, no tub
  • @baya5 I totally agree on the whole bath situation. I hate them

Pregnancy Ticker

• I hate hearing people tell their kid to shut up! I hate the phrase shut up, actually. 

Married 8.5.12
    Caleb born 10.9.13
    2.0 due 2.1.16
  • I hate hearing people tell their kid to shut up! I hate the phrase shut up, actually. 

LOL. Okay. You caught me. It's okay in some contexts but not when you mean for the person to stop talking.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

LOL. Okay. You caught me. It's okay in some contexts but not when you mean for the person to stop talking.
    No, I totally agree with you that I don't love the phrase. This was just the first thing to pop into my head ;)
    Married 8.5.12
    Caleb born 10.9.13
    2.0 due 2.1.16
  •  To piggy back off the humble brag comment, which I also despise, I dislike when people brag about their cooking abilities.  I've encountered so many people, family and friends included, who don't think it's tacky to say, "You HAVE to try my butterscotch brownies.  They are sooo delicious," or "I make the best tuna casserole.  It's seriously out of this world, everyone says so."  I'm glad that you take pride in your work, but I do not HAVE to try it, and I'm side eyeing you for thinking it's worthy of shoveling down everyone's throat.  I just think it's in poor taste to compliment your own work like that, especially when the subject matter is so subjective.  Try making humble pie next time?

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • bookqueen said:

I don't think that anyone should comment anything about a person's pregnancy other than excitement.

"Are you having more kids?"
    "Are you going to stop having kids?"
    "When are you going to get pregnant again after this?"
    "Aww, aren't you sad you're having another ___?"

I've already gotten the "Are you going to try for more kids after to have a girl?" since this is our second boy. Umm, how could I tell you that when I don't even know?? Let me have this kid first, adjust to having two kids, then decide later if I want to have another WITHOUT worrying about wishing for a girl

So true! We are having a girl and I keep getting the "oh so you'll try for a boy after this one right?" And all I can think is.. Do these people think we can magically choose the sex of our baby?! Let me deal with this pregnancy and birth first and see how it goes before you try to decide how many more kids I'll pop out, kthxbye. People are so annoying.
    Married: 8/25/12
    Started TTC: 1/1/14
    BFP: 6/1/15
    Baby Girl Athena Born: 2/7/16

• @Achae

What?! They're mandatory for anyone on a motorbike where I live. That's crazy!

In Florida is not. Only passengers have to wear helmets. Crazy!!!

• xkatiekx said:

I think it's weird when people ask or assume that I'm planning on having more than one child. And I think it's down right rude that the majority of people who have initiated this conversation tell me I'm doing something wrong or will change my mind about wanting one child. I don't have a crystal ball to see into the future but since they ask I've been honest about preferring to have one child (and I understand it could change once he gets here too). Didn't realise it was an unpopular opinion until I was pregnant.

Well this is #3 for us and a lot of people assumed it was an unplanned pregnancy, especially since we have a boy and girl already. It's like something is wrong with us for wanting 3 kids. Plus, why ask if it was planned? Does it really matter?

• g8trkim said:

xkatiekx said:

Well this is #3 for us and a lot of people assumed it was an unplanned pregnancy, especially since we have a boy and girl already. It's like something is wrong with us for wanting 3 kids. Plus, why ask if it was planned? Does it really matter?
    Yes. We didn't plan on having three, hell it was 13 years between the first and second child. H and I had our first son and nothing else happened for 13 years until out of the blue I became pregnant again. Two boys and we were done but even on birth control I got pregnant again and this time its a girl so that's great and enough for us. No it wasn't planned. We get asked all the time. The biggest annoyance right now though is that my MIL is now upset because she just found out i'm getting my tubes tied during this CS! She thinks its not natural and wrong...um well first off you don't provide for our family my H does and its not up to you to decide what I can do with my body so thanks for your unwanted opinions and judgement MIL (wish I could say it to her IRL)
  • xkatiekx said:
    I hate hearing people tell their kid to shut up! I hate the phrase shut up, actually. 
    When I was growing up we weren't allowed to say "shut up" in my Mom's house. It was equated to swearing because you were telling someone to stop talking and it's rude/demeaning. This may be a rule in my house as well because it's rude.
    I'm still not allowed to say "shut up" in front of my parents and I'm almost 30...Oh, and sometimes it comes out totally involuntarily and that's when it's usually to my father...oops

Married.....09/08/2012
    Baby F.......02/02/2016
  • bookqueen said:

I don't think that anyone should comment anything about a person's pregnancy other than excitement.

"Are you having more kids?"
    "Are you going to stop having kids?"
    "When are you going to get pregnant again after this?"
    "Aww, aren't you sad you're having another ___?"

I've already gotten the "Are you going to try for more kids after to have a girl?" since this is our second boy. Umm, how could I tell you that when I don't even know?? Let me have this kid first, adjust to having two kids, then decide later if I want to have another WITHOUT worrying about wishing for a girl

You just explained my mother in law exactly. She is sooooooo mad we aren't having a boy this time, and even more mad that we are done

• xkatiekx said:

I hate hearing people tell their kid to shut up! I hate the phrase shut up, actually. 

When I was growing up we weren't allowed to say "shut up" in my Mom's house. It was equated to swearing because you were telling someone to stop talking and it's rude/demeaning. This may be a rule in my house as well because it's rude.

I'm still not allowed to say "shut up" in front of my parents and I'm almost 30...Oh, and sometimes it comes out totally involuntarily and that's when it's usually to my father...oops

I don't say it either. It's really harsh!

• xkatiekx said:

We also weren't allowed to say "stupid" or "butt" in addition to the normal swear words. Didn't really understand this rule until my toddler came home from daycare saying these words. It's just so unattractive coming from a three year old's mouth. Now DS corrects me when I slip up and say them. "Mommy you say that?!"

• We also weren't allowed to say "stupid" or "butt" in addition to the normal swear words. Didn't really understand this rule until my toddler came home from daycare saying these words. It's just so unattractive coming from a three year old's mouth. Now DS corrects me when I slip up and say them. "Mommy you say that?!"
    A chick I run a facebook page with has a kindergartner and she tells us all the time how he says, "I run my shit like a boss" or somesuch and she just laughs! I keep telling her that he's going to get himself in trouble at school and that she needs to stop encouraging it, but she swears she's not encouraging it. She's pretty dense.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • cantobean said:

I just sit on the toilet seat.

UO: I think hand sanitizer is really gross. I use it occasionally, but I hate how it feels and it freaks me out when my students use it every day several times a day. Hand washing is important, but that goopy, slimy, chemical-laden sanitizer? I'll pass.

I always carry hand sanitizer because I have a lot of allergies and sensitive skin so a lot of public restrooms soup bothers me. But at home I use soap

@bookqueen I totally agree. I also can't stand people making comments about your size or how much weight you have or haven't gain. It's hard enough to to carry a baby I don't need to be reminded I'm getting fatter. Whatever happened to "you look great"
  • pbtoast said:

I was never allowed to say "sucks." I so rarely even say it now, it just feels weird saying "that sucks" when I am so conditioned not to! It's funny how these things last through adulthood.

At my dads we couldn't say suck, shut up, or any other weird word that can be mean or inappropriate. I think these rules make complete sense, if only We had the same rules at both parents my other siblings might have more manners
  • g8trkim said:
    Yeah, this bothers me too. This is our last pregnancy. We planned all three of our pregnancies and thought a lot about how we spaced our kids out and such. Well, surprise to us we're having twins this time. I feel like people look at me with pity just as if it were an unplanned pregnancy. Just because we were trying for one and got two doesn't mean we're disappointed or unhappy in any way. Extra stressed maybe, but thrilled. I just don't see what people get to comment so freely about things happening in my body and family.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
                    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Achae said:

ohbaby714 said:

I hate when people are so adamant about car seat safety (which is awesome!!) and don't take the time to put their own seatbelt on which is 10x easier and faster than buckling a child in a car seat. It's so irresponsible and drives me crazy. How hard is it to put your freaking seatbelt on?! My own husband is guilty of this sometimes and it makes me so angry that he doesn't think his safety is important.

This is how I feel when I see parents skiing or biking with their children... Kids are wearing their helmets, parents are not. I didn't realize that being of a certain age meant you were impervious to brain injury. Set a proper freaking example and protect yourself, at least for your family's sake. They make comfortable and attractive helmets for basically every sport now. There's no excuse.

I wish it was mandatory for motorcyclists :(</blockquote

It is the Law in Louisiana that anyone on a sports bike, or motorcycle must have a helmet !
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers